Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Tue, Feb 16, 2010 4:15 PM

ToddF
Skis At: mudhole
Foot Forward: right

Kid friendly ski schools

We are thinking about going to a ski school this year but would also like to incorporate disneyworld or something cool for the kids
12 and 9,  Ideally we would like to go a couple days skiing, do something with the kids, then ski again.

So are there any schools that are more kid friendly than others.  They wouldn't be skiing

Any ideas would be great

Thanks

Todd

#2 Tue, Feb 16, 2010 7:29 PM

Jhughes
Skis At: Lake County, IL
Foot Forward: Right

Re: Kid friendly ski schools

Is it more important that there are nearby kid-friendly activities or that the actual school grounds/campus is kid friendly?

#3 Tue, Feb 16, 2010 8:02 PM

ToddF

I guess at the ski school, 

If there is stuff for the kids within an hour or so is okay, it will be more geared toward mom and dad's vacation

#4 Tue, Feb 16, 2010 8:55 PM

Jhughes

What about onsite accommodations? Do you want to be schlepping stuff back and fourth from a hotel each day?

What about flying vs. driving? Driving is key for us since we have so much ski gear AND kiddo gear, and flying with a little one is quite a production (getting the car seat and stroller through the x-ray, etc.). Plus, flying is mucho expensive, especially now that our 2 year old needs her own seat. If you fly, you'll need a rental car for most places so that you can get around.

How hot do you want the weather to be during the time of year you're thinking of going? For us, we need a place that is tropical-hot AND drivable during Spring Break. That generally leaves us with only one option.

Last edited by Jhughes (Tue, Feb 16, 2010 8:56 PM)

#5 Tue, Feb 16, 2010 9:08 PM

ToddF

We are planning on sometime in mid-June/July.  If we have to haul stuff around that is fine.  Or if you can leave stuff in locker there even better.  Mostly we need some place where the kids can keep busy and/or hang out while we are skiing.

#6 Tue, Feb 16, 2010 10:07 PM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage
Skis At: Old Hickory Lake, TN.
Foot Forward: left

http://www.orlandowatersports.com/

How about OWC in Orlando? They obviously have the cable wake board area and a cable Slalom course, But they also have a reg. slalom course with Boats and a great instuctor named Tarah...

It's ez to get to and close to all the rest of the Disney stuff, etc..., has a pro shop, (Performance) Lockers, snack bar and plenty for the kids to watch and maybe even get excited about doing themselves, it's even running at night!!! Mondays on typically their slow day and that means less waiting for cable stuff or lessons. Seems like they are about $55.00 per Lesson. (I can't remember if they have a day or hourly rate) It's totally worth checking out.cool

Shoot me an e/m if you want to try the cable slalom course. I've got some "Healthy tips" for you if you do...

"Warning" -the Surgeon General has determined; That the preceding statements accurately reflect the views and opinions consistent with "DSS" (Delusional Slalomitis Syndrome) a highly contagious life altering condition... (Handle with Extreme care & Patience)

#7 Wed, Feb 17, 2010 2:39 AM

trichter12
Skis At:
Foot Forward: Left

If im not mistaken, Ski Tek is about a half hour from the OWC.  I dont think either of those are very far from disney, or even NASA.  The NASA tour can be very cool even if your younger.  What little kid doesnt like space ships?

Travis

#8 Wed, Feb 17, 2010 3:20 AM

miski
Skis At: Jepawhit, Lyons, SkiTec

I second NASA - The Saturn-5 @ 4 stories high laying on its side and a control system in a couple of shoe boxes w/ the processing power of a wrist watch is pretty cool... 9 & 12 are perfect ages for this - get your kids heading into math & science and save USA!

#9 Wed, Feb 17, 2010 4:08 AM

vrod69
Skis At: carter lake,co

You know that sounds like fun to me. I have been looking for a good excuse to go down that way and that might be it for us too!

Just about to get on the water, WAHOOO!!
Bj

#10 Wed, Feb 17, 2010 4:40 AM

Jhughes

miski wrote:

get your kids heading into math & science and save USA!

Truth. +1

#11 Wed, Feb 17, 2010 5:10 AM

laz

Last year we went with three kids and stayed at the Swiss Ski School.  The kids were pretty happy doing a little skiing and hanging out at the pool.  We drove into Disney on three of the days (while our muscles recovered).

This year we will be staying just outside of Disney and will be spending time at Drew Ross' place and have booked some practice time at the Orlando Watersports Complex.  The OWC is very cable and wakeboard centred.  I hope the boat and slalom course are good.

#12 Wed, Feb 17, 2010 2:22 PM

Oxmach

I spent a few days at Drews while staying in Orlando near Disney.  Very convinient to travel to, and had an excellent time, the lake is awesome.  Not much in the area for kids who don't ski though.  Not too sure how hot it would be in July, but I've heard it is brutal in the summer, so you may want to stay a little further North if it is getting into the summer months.  May want to consider H2Osmosis and Charleston at that time of year.

#13 Thu, Feb 18, 2010 2:07 AM

TheShirt
Skis At: Clemson, SC

A couple of collge buddies(from a LONG time ago) and I spent a week at Swiss last summer.  It was just us, but I think my kids would have enjoyed it - hanging out at the pool and close enough to Disney.  We had a really good time.

This year, we're going to Chris Parrish Academy.

#14 Thu, Feb 18, 2010 12:00 PM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier
Skis At: Not short enough

->My understanding is that the Chris Parrish Academy had some problems and isn't open any longer. Might want to check if you have a reservation.

#15 Sun, Feb 21, 2010 5:10 AM

JP

Of course skitek is the place to ski but other places to check out would be Jack travers and swiss. The advantage to those two is that you can get a villa to stay in nearly on the water.

#16 Tue, Feb 23, 2010 9:17 PM

TheShirt
Skis At: Clemson, SC

Wade - I checked with the guy I made the reservation with, and he says we're OK.

#17 Wed, Mar 3, 2010 12:57 PM

Chef23

If the kids want to ski it is hard to beat Coble's Ski School in North Carolina.  There will be plenty of kids in their age group skiing 3-4 times a day.  We have been twice with my kids when they were 9 & 10 then again at 10& 11 and they can't wait to go back this summer.

Their are cabins right at the site and they will feed you for the visit.  It is pretty much a ski only trip although they do plan other events like bowling or movies to entertain the kids at night.

I am going to try and book my trip this week.

#18 Wed, Mar 3, 2010 1:46 PM

Skiboy
Skis At: Pigeon Lake @ Ski Tek

If u want Disney, there is also Sammy Duvall's place right in Disney. www.sammyduvallwatersports.

Skiing Finatic Once Again

#19 Thu, Mar 4, 2010 2:51 AM

MattP
Skis At: Searching

Jodi Fisher is right near Disney also. He is great with kids. He has a pool, hot tub, and beach area.  I highly recommend him!

Looking for a place to ski near Kennesaw, Ga.
-MattP

#20 Thu, Mar 4, 2010 3:41 PM

Chef23

Skiboy wrote:

If u want Disney, there is also Sammy Duvall's place right in Disney. www.sammyduvallwatersports.

Not a ski school.  My son and I wakeboarded when we were there last but there is no slalom course on the lake.

Board footer