Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#26 Wed, Apr 21, 2010 1:49 PM

BudMan
Skis At: Bud Lake
Foot Forward: Left

Re: HO EXO Hardshells

I tried on the EXO PROs yesterday(dry land); the front of my left foot lost circulation within a few minutes and was uncomfortable. I then tried on the EXO Form. It was more comfortable, so they mounted them to my ski. I adjusted the fin and boot angles. I am starting with as close to the same as the Animals were. (front straight and back almost full angle.) If you loosen the boot just a little, you can feel the clicks of the serration on the mount as you slide it to the side. The full amount is four clicks. I angled it to three clicks. The bottom of the plate that allows movement in all direction of the boot mounts is pre-calibrated forward and aft. Front has 2, 1, 0,-1,-2. Obviously 0 is factory suggested setting, I attempted to measure (hard to be exact) but came up with 29”. The back has 13 settings, 6 through -6. The shells have removable heat moldable booties which have removable rubber insoles. I know some people that like to feel the ski more and for them they can remove the rubber insoles and achieve that if desired. Those people also seemed to want to be as low to the ski and water also. This new HO system has the inside of the boot (before the bootie goes in) at 17mm or 11/16” above the top of the ski. The old Animal front boot not including the rubber insole was 15mm and the rear was 3.5mm. They are other systems out there to get you closer to the ski.

I will report back after I ski today.

Life is great! Enjoy every minute!

#27 Wed, Apr 21, 2010 2:29 PM

HO410
Skis At: Outlaw Lake
Foot Forward: Right

For what it's worth, it would probably be beneficial to take a set or two on the new ski before strapping on the new boots. Changing both ski and boots at the same time will make it difficult to figure out what the boots are doing, what the ski is doing, and how you relate to both.

In regard to fit. From what I've felt, these boots are going to hang on to your foot pretty good. You don't need to crush your foot, it just needs to be comfortable.

#28 Wed, Apr 21, 2010 9:38 PM

aussiemc
Skis At: Myuna Bay NSW Australia

How hard are the EXO's to get in to? I'm recovering from a pretty serious foot injury, (back in November, 2 operations etc.) and want to get Hard Shells for when I start skiing the course again, but I need ones that will be easy to get on / off.

#29 Wed, Apr 21, 2010 9:46 PM

BudMan

I just skied a set with the EXO bindings. The ski is 2010 65” A1 with all the same settings that were on the 2009 65” A1 that I have been riding for a month or so. The 2009 had the Animal bindings.

I think the adjustability of the EXO system is great.

I think the EXO release system seems great. (I did not get into a situation for it to release though.)

I think there is great control with their ridged boot system.

Personally though, all snow ski boot have hurt my feet as well as all water ski binding (when tight like they should be) eventually during a set, cramp my feet.

With the EXO bindings adjusted less than snug but not too lose but a little lose, still now after one set, two and a half hours ago, the outer sides of both of my legs are red, swollen and hurt from the cuffs. The top side of one of my feet is red, swollen and hurts from the shell. It might be that none of the hard shell bindings will be comfortable for me. I just put my Animals back on the ski. I am 5’10” and only weigh 144lbs. I eat a lot and often and I am very, very active. My fat percent is about nine. My body is boney. I am not the best person to judge the comfort.

From what I have seen in the market the HO EXOs are the best release system.

Last edited by BudMan (Wed, Apr 21, 2010 9:47 PM)

#30 Wed, Apr 21, 2010 11:07 PM

HO410

Let reiterate this disclaimer: I have not skied the Exo system, I have only examined and tried on the boots. Of the not-rubber boots, these are by far the most difficult to get on. I don't think it's a good or bad thing, but if you have a tender ankle, I think the Pros will be pretty difficult to get on. The Form might be all around easier to get on.

#31 Wed, Apr 21, 2010 11:23 PM

BudMan

I tried on the EXO PROs first yesterday(dry land); the front of my left foot lost circulation within a few minutes and was uncomfortable. I then tried on the EXO Form. It was more comfortable, so they mounted them to my ski. After getting in the water today my foot actually felt much loser when everything was wet. There is a very big difference in the feel wet and dry.
I would not have thought of my ankles as tender before, but those bindings sure made them hurt.

#32 Thu, Apr 22, 2010 11:40 AM

patmaster

Interesting and surprising comments. I have been skiing on Fogmans for the past 10+ years and I never had the discomfort problem. Same with the Reflex hardshell and (from what I heard) Goode Powershells , Radars and FM. The really big advantage of hardshells is that they hold the feet well but don't hurt and allow long sets w/o cramping. So far, it seems that this will be EXO Mk I and that we will see more versions in the future! Pity! Anyway I hope to try them out in a few weeks time.

#33 Sat, May 1, 2010 11:54 AM

DanE

I recieved my Exo Pro boots yesterday and have not gotten the chance to ski in them yet. Assembly of the system was easy and straightforward. Tried to compare front boot dft with my approach bindings and it appeared to be the same with approach in middle hole and Exo boot in zero slot (exo mounting bar is marked with numbers so You can determine boot placement very easy). However if I would like to get my feet closer together than my current setting I would have to cut off a bit of the shell on the rear shell (no big deal other than cosmetics,mine are size 9 and luckily with the shells butted up against each other I got my normal spacing between feet if not maybe a little closer). At first the boots seem overly stiff, as much so You would expect difficulty in skiing in them. But when I put them on I was very impressed with fit and comfort and the cuff flex and mobility seems to be exactly right, very comfy boots.
Then again putting them on takes some practice and theres one detail I canīt wrap my head around why HO designed it this way, itīs the upper eyelets of the cord that You tighten down over the forefoot. They are designed and located in a manner that will hurt Your foot when entering the boots. Almost looks like it was never designed this way, but the Chinese manufacturer screwed up reading the specs and relocated them. Thatīs why Iīm stating there is some practice involved getting them on and after a few attempts I donīt think itīs going to be a problem. I even heard they are releasing a newer version soon with this issue solved. Overall, this system seem to be a superior design compared to all other systems, very well thought out. The support of the base of the boots against the ski is unreal, abselutely no slop.  I hope to ski in them tomorrow and eager to see if they work as well on water as they appear.

#34 Thu, Jun 24, 2010 2:41 AM

rq0013
Skis At: 2@-35, 36 mph pb
Foot Forward: LFF

any more people on the exo's? Why arent more people talking about these bindings like the RS1s? Im on a pair of RS1s and was wondering if anyone has switched from them to the exos and their thoughts. Is the adapter plate out yet?

#35 Thu, Jun 24, 2010 1:54 PM

jamisonsbrodie
Skis At: Lotus Lake

From what I hear, there was an issue with the first batch that got manufactured, at least on the size 9-12 ones.  Our dealer locally still hasn't got them, and I heard that HO has backed off the marketing of them until next year to iron out the wrinkles.

#36 Thu, Jun 24, 2010 5:24 PM

BudMan

I switched from EXO to RS1. I like the RS1s much better. The HO rep told me that the first batch of EXOs were not what HO wanted.

#37 Thu, Jun 24, 2010 5:47 PM

HO410

BudMan, the RS-1's working out good for you?

#38 Thu, Jun 24, 2010 10:57 PM

CoreyHumburg
Skis At: The Farm

I have sold two pairs and both recipients totally loved them right away.  I have seen them release and perform and they look pretty killer.

I believe in 3 things: Peace, Love & Waterskiing.

#39 Mon, Jun 28, 2010 2:13 PM

dleenhouts

I won a pair of these from HO & I'm wondering where I can get an adapter plate since I'm skiing on a 2009 HO model. I've seen a few online shops that offer them as an option for an extra $60 or so, but they're only available if you buy the whole setup. Anyone have any info there? I'm still waiting to hear back from HO, & I can't seem to find any ski shops around Boston either.

#40 Mon, Jun 28, 2010 8:42 PM

MattP
Skis At: Searching

I would contact HO directly and talk to them. They are always very helpful over there. Im sure they would be glad to sell you just the plate.

Looking for a place to ski near Kennesaw, Ga.
-MattP

#41 Mon, Jun 28, 2010 8:46 PM

jamisonsbrodie
Skis At: Lotus Lake

Unfortunately, the adapter plates are not available yet, nor is there a set date for which they will be.

#42 Mon, Jun 28, 2010 8:54 PM

Chef23

dleenhouts wrote:

I won a pair of these from HO & I'm wondering where I can get an adapter plate since I'm skiing on a 2009 HO model. I've seen a few online shops that offer them as an option for an extra $60 or so, but they're only available if you buy the whole setup. Anyone have any info there? I'm still waiting to hear back from HO, & I can't seem to find any ski shops around Boston either.

There are no ski shops around Boston.  There is one in Naples Maine called Sun Sports and I haven't found any others.

#43 Mon, Jun 28, 2010 9:54 PM

FireJurk

I had to make my own plate. Its kind of crude, but works great and makes the ski rip like a god! I am a crossover slalom snowboarder, so the whole double hardshells on one plank thing is right up my alley. I'll post a pic of it soon. Oh, and I have definitely voided my warranty. Hah!

#44 Fri, Jul 2, 2010 3:19 AM

crdickey

These EXO Pro's are the best boot I have ever tried, Foog's, Power's, Reflex.  I was hooked on the RS-1's until they wore out and from the first set these HO's are by far the best.  They must have used a foot exactly like mine to mold them because the fit is great. Only took me one set to figure out how snug to pull the laces and clicks of the buckle to get the best feel without any pressure points.  Someone earlier said they were moldable, they are not. They are formed to support the achilles and heel. The arch support is rubber like a rubber binding type material.

The numbers on the bottom of the rail are for reference only, meaning the Zero Mark on the front is not the exact placement for factory boot distance from tail. The marks on the rear boot are the reference point that matches up to the chart showing where to set the release tension. It relates to a height and weight chart included in the box. Depending on where the rear heel number falls for your size boots and placement, it will change the leverage point and will require more or less tension on the release mechanism. Again, refer to the chart.

As far as getting in them, you just pull the cuff backwards all the way and lift the tongue. Slips in wet or dry, no soap needed.  As easy to get off as the Powershell, reflex or Foog's. Just make sure you get the edges of the tongue back under the eyelets before tightening the laces, this is where pressure on the top of the foot may be realized. Once I got the tongue back in the right spot, it was very comfy.

These are links to some videos a guy made showing how he puts them on the swim step, he got them wet to show how easy they go on even when wet, dry is even easier. The second is a close up review he made of the boots and system assembly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBq5-UtmesU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_6CFRHrqNE&NR=1

Home Run HO !

Last edited by crdickey (Fri, Jul 2, 2010 3:32 AM)

#45 Thu, Jul 8, 2010 4:03 PM

crrev

If you have made a plate for these can you please post a picture?

#46 Fri, Jul 16, 2010 4:36 PM

FireJurk

http://www.proskicoach.com/forum/uploads/6091_a1_with_exo_adaptor_plate.jpg

OK it took a while but here is a kind of fuzzy phone picture of my adaptor plate. I had a big family vacation coming up and nobody had the EXO bindings in stock. I searched and search and finally found a pair. All the EXO boot suppliers had sent there boots back. Still from the one company I could fiind that still had the first batch, they still had no adaptor plates. Every company I talked to said that they would call when they are in....... well I knew what that meant. So I set out making my own plate out of 1/8 in. aluminum. Cut, shaped, drilled, and carved and a day later and I had my adaptor plate.  Crude-ish... I know, but it works.

#47 Fri, Jul 16, 2010 6:23 PM

HO410

Next time I have a chance, may not be this weekend, I'll grab a picture of some Fogman adapter plates that I have seen. I think they were a homebuilt job also. Instead of doing one giant plate he made two. The front plate stops at those front four inserts and there rears stops and the rear 2 inserts. Both plates have a few strips of 3M automotive attachment tape underneath. 

I doubt that makes any sense, I'll grab a photo as soon as I can.

Board footer