Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Fri, Feb 12, 2010 6:11 PM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier
Skis At: Not short enough
Foot Forward: Right

Obama Calls Buying a Boat Irresponsible

This is the text of the letter sent by the President of the NMMA.

February 3, 2010
The President
The White House
Washington, D.C. 20003

Dear Mr. President:

During your town hall event in Nashua, New Hampshire yesterday announcing your new, much-needed
Small Business Lending Initiative, you made a remark which unfortunately associated buying a
recreational boat with irresponsible spending. While we agree with you that consumers should always
make responsible buying decisions before making any significant purchase or investment, we take issue
with your characterization of boating as an extraneous or irresponsible purchase. As with your remarks
about Las Vegas, we hope you will take the opportunity to recognize that boating is a fun, family activity
that supports hundreds of thousands of American manufacturing and service jobs.

Indeed, the recreational boating industry is one of the last remaining American manufacturing
businesses and net exporters, with annual sales of nearly $30 billion and a total economic impact of
$100 billion. Boats are made by middle-class American workers for middle-class American consumers.
Our industry creates jobs for well over 200,000 Americans—workers in factories in Elkhart, Indiana;
Marion, South Carolina; Neodesha, Kansas; Fort Meyers, Florida and in hundreds of communities across
the United States. These are the very small businesses that your Administration is working to help.
By associating buying a boat with irresponsible spending, you send a very negative and unfortunate
signal to boatbuilding workers, marine dealers, marina owners, marine suppliers and the thousands of
marine industry employees in the United States.

We cannot overemphasize how important it is to fuel American middle class recovery and growth with
confidence and through responsible spending, rather than calling out an industry that is trying to work
alongside your Administration to support job growth and U.S. manufacturing. We sincerely hope you will
clarify your remarks and join us in celebrating a great American industry.

As you know, recreational boating has been severely impacted by the economic downturn. Low
consumer confidence, general economic uncertainty, and an unmitigated contraction of conventional
commercial lending has brought boatbuilding production to a near standstill and reduced overall
industry sales by nearly 30 percent. We estimate that more than 135,000 jobs in our industry have been
lost, but we are optimistic that economic growth will return and employees will be re-hired if the
Administration keeps focused on promoting a positive business environment.

In particular, we applaud your renewed focus on small business lending, which has greatly exacerbated
the impact of the downturn in our industry. While we are encouraged by your new Small Business
Lending Initiative and support your efforts to increase access to capital, we hope that you will begin to
pay particular attention to continued credit illiquidity in wholesale, or floorplan, financing. When a
retailer cannot access capital to purchase new inventory from manufacturers, those manufacturers are
forced to stop production, causing further painful labor reductions. Floorplan credit availability is key to
any meaningful economic recovery for these industries.

NMMA has worked with your Administration, including the Small Business Administration (SBA), the
Treasury Department and the Federal Reserve Board, as well as the Congress in trying to find solutions
to this ongoing problem. Your Small Business Lending Initiative should include specific efforts and
incentives to encourage community banks and other lenders to provide floorplan financing to marine
dealers at reasonable terms.

Additionally, in July of 2009, SBA launched the Dealer Floorplan Pilot Initiative (DFP), which is specifically
designed to address floorplan financing. This Initiative established a pilot 7(a) loan guaranty program
dedicated for lines of credit that provide floor plan financing and allows auto, boat, RV, trailer and
similar product dealers to acquire inventory. The SBA Floorplan Pilot Initiative has the potential to assist
a wide array of product dealers in establishing critical lines of credit with SBA approved banks to replace
lines that have either become unaffordable or have disappeared. However, after months of operation,
this program has received scant participation by national, regional, or community banks. We have
encouraged SBA to make specific changes to this program and to extend it to 3-5 years to encourage
more bank participation, and we hope these changes will be made soon.

Thank you for your continued efforts to improve the lending environment for businesses throughout the
United States. We stand ready to assist you in efforts to improve the business environment, and we
welcome you or members of you Administration to tour an American boatbuilding factory to see the
quality of jobs our industry provides to Americans across the country. We are happy to help coordinate
such a visit at any time.

Sincerely,
Thomas J. Dammrich
President National Marine Manufacturer's Association

#2 Fri, Feb 12, 2010 6:39 PM

Pl0tz
Slalom Mentor
Skis At: Lake Anna's "hot side"

Re: Obama Calls Buying a Boat Irresponsible

gonna use Stephen Colbert's reply if he had this on his show,

Wag of my Finger  to - Obama for foolishly claiming boating as Irresponsible!

And a tip of the hat to - Thomas for standing up for all water sport enthusiast as well for protecting the jobs of many American citizens!!

big_smile

i swear this site is turning into my home...

#3 Fri, Feb 12, 2010 10:56 PM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage
Skis At: Old Hickory Lake, TN.
Foot Forward: left

Yes, Mr. Obama you have a point. (Not a great point, -But a point.)

Maybe it is also fair to say that we should quit foolishly spending $$$ on anything that is not an absolute bare necessity. Maybe we could better our economy by giving up Starbux? Movie tickets? Video rentals? Then we could just as easily stop throwing away good $$$ for the convenience of Micky D's, Taco bell or having it our way @ BurgerKing.

Obviously, if we can live without these things, then we should find giving up cigarettes and Alcohol a breeze. This will help alleviate the need to go to Bar's, Liqueur stores, Sportingevents and foolish places like Las Vegas! I feel we should also make a stand against Cruise ships, for they must be the biggest and most irresponsible $$$ ever spent on a boat. (excluding the Titanic of course!) Maybe we should give up a couple hundred T.V. channels as well? Why does anyone need 22" wheels or cell plans with unlimited call plans? Why do we need to be Earth friendly and Green? In this day and age, do we really need College or Health insurance?

I was always taught to lead by example. So, I suggest that Mr. Obama might lead by example. By saving us all about $300,000 a year for the rest of Mr. Obama's life by actually executing a responsible cut on an obviously irresponsible $alary...

"Warning" -the Surgeon General has determined; That the preceding statements accurately reflect the views and opinions consistent with "DSS" (Delusional Slalomitis Syndrome) a highly contagious life altering condition... (Handle with Extreme care & Patience)

#4 Sat, Feb 13, 2010 12:25 AM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier

You're right about that starbucks thing. 4 bucks for coffee? Definitely irresponsible.

#5 Sat, Feb 13, 2010 1:44 AM

philgood
Skis At: 22' off @32 mph
Foot Forward: Left

two thumbs up on this one!

You can't take life too seriously because you'll never get out of it alive."

#6 Sat, Feb 13, 2010 3:04 AM

danbirch
Slasher
Skis At: Canyon Lake, CA

Actually, after reading the Presidents speech, I'm not so sure that he blasted boat purchases.  He was saying that since responsible home-owners don't go buying boats if they CAN'T even make their mortgage payments, then the GOVERNMENT SHOULDN'T go spending $ when they can't afford to do so.  The article is at http://www.lvtsg.com/imho/2010/02/town- … ent-obama/

The portion of his speech pertaining to this subject is:

"Responsible families don’t do their budgets the way the federal government does. Right? When times are tough, you tighten your belts. You don’t go buying a boat when you can barely pay your mortgage. You don’t blow a bunch of cash on Vegas when you’re trying to save for college. You prioritize. You make tough choices. It’s time your government did the same. (Applause.)"

Last edited by danbirch (Sat, Feb 13, 2010 1:43 PM)

#7 Sat, Feb 13, 2010 5:32 AM

Butte-Ski
Skis At: Lake Oroville

Something has gone radically wrong with the American economy. A once-robust system of "traditional engineering"--the invention, design, and manufacture of products--has been replaced by financial engineering. Without a vibrant manufacturing sector, Wall Street created money it did not have and Americans spent money they did not have. Americans stopped making the products they continued to buy.
Even before President Obama took the oath of office, his economic advisers projected that without hundreds of billions of dollars in government spending, the U.S. economy could lose another 3 million to 4 million jobs on top of the 3.1 million lost in 2008.
It turns out they were optimistic. Even with the $787 billion stimulus package that President Obama signed in February, more than 4 million jobs have been lost in 2009, the worst year for job losses since World War II. The jobless rate that advisers projected would peak at 8% has topped 10%+.
Since 2001, the country has lost 42,400 factories, including 36 % of factories that employ more than 1,000 workers and 38 % of factories that employ between 500 and 999 employees.
An additional 90,000 manufacturing companies are now at risk of going out of business.
Since the recession began, manufacturing employment has fallen by 2.1 million jobs; three-fourths of this drop occurred in the durable goods.
I don’t mean to be a downer, but this is real friends.
Thank You  Thomas J. Dammrich

Buy made in the U.S.A     
I'm pissed off. Thanks for letting me vent.

Butte-Ski

#8 Sat, Feb 13, 2010 1:40 PM

Skiboy
Skis At: Pigeon Lake @ Ski Tek

Im just a visitor from Canada, down here in Florida, have noticed u can't buy hardly anything that says made in USA. Its not much better in Canada either, everything is made in China, Philipines, or where ever. What ever happened to loyalty for the worker that has lost their jobs to foreign countries?
  It would be nice to buy something from ur own country. So to stay loyal, i bought a new ski, built in the USA. Now i didnt buy it cause i needed it, i bought it to help the American economy. Well thats what i told me wife.

Skiing Finatic Once Again

#9 Sat, Feb 13, 2010 3:49 PM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage

Living the New Amercan dream...

Unfortunately, we have created a "microwave fast" -gotta have it now society. We must have everything quick and cheap. To Hell with waiting and/or quality.

We simply do not employ the same work ethic and spirit of the Baby boomer era and we have become a complete embarrassment to the great people who forged ahead undaunted by great depression and WWll... It was by and through these Great souls that "Buy American" and "American pride" was birthed. Patriotism still meant something and "the pursuit of Life, liberty and Justice for all" were words to Live by.

Free enterprise eventually allowed many American manufacturers i.e. the Auto industry, to take advantage of it's own people by building sub-par products that sold for inflated prices... The Japanese then held them accountable with far superior products sold @ far better prices. (this should have woke up our auto industry long ago...) Now we actually build the same "imports" for the Japanese right here on our own soil with the same workers who could have been building and Buying American autos...

In this new era, of "microwave fast," Drive thru, keep up with the Jones' mentality, We have allowed and created even bigger sink Holes. We demand Cheap prices and extended credit so we can get more and get it faster. Appliances are No longer designed to last 20-30 yrs. They are now designed to last approx: 10-12 yrs.(many do not even make it 5 yrs.) The thread counts in shirts, pants, towels, etc... are about 1/2 what they once were, They now wear out in the washer and dryer... (There are far too many examples to list!)

Yes, this has brought the pricing down, along with the quality. We're are not getting raped by high priced inferior products anymore, as we have now settled on being raped by Low priced inferior products. To add insult to injury, we don't even care where these products are even made anymore! "Just make it cheap, I'm still payin' on the rest of my microwave fast stuff"...

Fast, Good or Cheap? -You can only pick two, -all 3 together is generally impossible... i.e. You can have it fast and cheap, but it won't be good...   You can have it Fast and Good, but it won't be cheap...   You can have it Good and Cheap, but it won't be Fast...

"We The People" have created this mess. And "We The People" must wake up to the Hole that we have put ourselves in. i.e. *Hurry, Hurry, Cheap mortgage loans,(mortgage loan industry collapse...) * Hurry, Hurry, Cheap fast food,(obesity, diabetes...) * Hurry, Hurry, Cheap Beef & poultry,(Hormone/chemical laden meat & poultry...)  Hurry, Hurry, Cheap prescription med's,(treat it, don't heal it or make life style changes...) Hurry, Hurry, Cheap products, (who cares who made it or how long it Will last...)

Our present state of the union is the unfortunate cost of trying to live this "New American dream"... sad

Last edited by h20dawg79 (Sun, Feb 14, 2010 2:09 AM)

"Warning" -the Surgeon General has determined; That the preceding statements accurately reflect the views and opinions consistent with "DSS" (Delusional Slalomitis Syndrome) a highly contagious life altering condition... (Handle with Extreme care & Patience)

#10 Sun, Feb 14, 2010 5:49 AM

vrod69
Skis At: carter lake,co

One solution,
Complete and total lock down
No Imports or Exports
    This alone creates everything we need. The US has one of the largest oil reserve right here and its bigger than Saudi Oil Bank. It will take time but, by not importing any goods allows for more American Jobs, more American Made Products, Produce, and American Made Money.
    Another thing we Need to do is Bring every American troop home. We need to Police our Borders and protect our country, not everyone else on this planet. Now I'm not saying we cant help them, but we cant keep sending our money every time there's a problem. We have our own people learn how to save your self's. We have to many Good American people living on the streets. Lets help them, lets help us. I know what its like to live pay check to pay check every day and some how I can still manage time and money for leisure activities.
    Obama Needs to wake-up and smell the coffee, because every time him and his so called people open there mouths, its more hard earned American Dollars gone to waste for US Banks to pay back debts to over seas lent money or to better the upper class people. Um Hello!!! What about lower class American People. No I am not talking about Illegals. I am talking about the under paid working class that pays there taxes every year and get no where in life because there's no helping hands.

MORE US JOBS = MORE US MONEY= BETTER US ECONOMY

Just about to get on the water, WAHOOO!!
Bj

#11 Sun, Feb 14, 2010 1:19 PM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier

Brining troops home is altruistic but not very realistic. It's bad enough we've set a "deadline" in Iraq to withdraw... virtually guaranteeing increased turmoil as insurgents will just wait until after August.

We have a volunteer military and they have made a decision to put themselves on the front line in our defense. Words cant describe my thanks.

Can't argue with you that the financial costs of the wars has been high... although I disagree that this is in any way connected to our economic problems.

The good news is it sounds like the new strategy in Afghanistan is working very well.... winning the hearts and minds of the people over there is a lot of hard work but everything I've read seems like our troops are doing great.

Interesting concept on a complete import export lock down... it would probably do the trick... but in the globalized economy it will never happen.

The bargain that our parents signed on to was this: "Get a job in a factory, making widgets and insurance and websites." Learn to do the work, show up on time, work hard, and we'll take care of you. We'll give you health insurance and pay you well, and even a retirement package after you put in your 30 years. It worked great for a long time. But now with tougher competition and new technology, the deal isn't there any more.

Our economy is deemphasizing goods made of atoms.  Anything that you can build in the United States, China can build for pennies on the dollar, in quantity, and fast. I certainly don't contend it will be a higher quality product, but as h2odawg said, China makes things good fast and cheap. Anyone with some know how and a translator can set up a factory overseas and torch US competition. Our ski manufacturers build the majority of their wakeboards and all of their bindings over seas. Look at Chevrolet. Their auto workers union bankrup the company (along with other managerial failures). Over $50 per hour to work in an auto factory? Are you kidding? No wonder they're owned by the government now.

Newspapers are a great example. You can get it all online. Water Ski Magazine is down to 6 or 7 issues a year. Atoms cost money to produce and create junk. The entire industrial revolution (which just ended, ladies and gentlemen) was based on the idea that you can produce atoms to create wealth. Now that our culture is moving away from that since the digital revolution started, there's no doubt that economic woes are going to happen.

Butte-Ski wrote:

Since 2001, the country has lost 42,400 factories, including 36 % of factories that employ more than 1,000 workers and 38 % of factories that employ between 500 and 999 employees.
An additional 90,000 manufacturing companies are now at risk of going out of business.
Since the recession began, manufacturing employment has fallen by 2.1 million jobs; three-fourths of this drop occurred in the durable goods.

Case in point. The tough part to swallow is that those jobs aren't coming back, either.

I think Seth Godin is pretty much on top of this stuff. His contention is that in a post-industrial revolution economy, seeking for a job as a 'cog' (factory worker that follows instructions) will never yield job security. The only way to make yourself invaluable to a company now a days is to invest emotional labor in your work... to be an artist. Artists are indispensable. Each one of us has to add human value to our work in order to be successful in the new age. The path to success for the past 200 years has been:

1) Get a job in a factory. (factory in this case is a metaphor for just about any job you can think of)
2) Show up
3) Follow the rules

But now there is a demand deficit for unskilled workers... especially for those who don't invest emotional labor in their work. "Say a restaurant has 4 servers, 3 work hard, the other one is good... but is also a master problem solver. He can placate an angry customer, finesse the computer system, and mollify the chef when he's had too much to drink. Who's got the most secure job? "

Mediocrity is not acceptable. Average is no longer good enough.

I'd recommend Seth Godin's Linchpin: Are You Indispensable?http://www.assoc-amazon.com/e/ir?t=wadewilliams-20&l=as2&o=1&a=1591843162... which influenced a lot of this post was quoted a couple times.

#12 Fri, Mar 19, 2010 11:27 AM

skiron07

You guys totally missed the point (amazingly, but not unexpected)...Obama didn't call buying a boat (of any kind) irresponsible, he said that doing that when one can't afford paying a mortgage is...HUGE difference guys.

As a dedicated slalom skier myself it never ceases to amaze me how people hear what they want to hear

#13 Fri, Mar 19, 2010 12:00 PM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage

skiron07 wrote:

You guys totally missed the point (amazingly, but not unexpected)...Obama didn't call buying a boat (of any kind) irresponsible, he said that doing that when one can't afford paying a mortgage is...HUGE difference guys.

As a dedicated slalom skier myself it never ceases to amaze me how people hear what they want to hear

Still sounds like he needs to get his priorities straight!wink (the boat payment should always come 1st!)

#14 Fri, Mar 19, 2010 2:04 PM

Jhughes
Skis At: Lake County, IL

skiron07 wrote:

+10000000000000, well put.

Last edited by Jhughes (Fri, Mar 19, 2010 2:05 PM)

#15 Fri, Mar 19, 2010 3:26 PM

Essvar
Skis At: Dawn
Foot Forward: RFF

h20dawg79 wrote:

skiron07 wrote:

Still sounds like he needs to get his priorities straight!wink (the boat payment should always come 1st!)

Got it! If I can't afford a boat, don't buy a house big_smile I like the way you guys think. cool

#16 Fri, Mar 19, 2010 4:20 PM

Pl0tz
Slalom Mentor
Skis At: Lake Anna's "hot side"

you can sleep and eat on a boat can't you! wink

i swear this site is turning into my home...

#17 Fri, Mar 19, 2010 5:02 PM

HO410
Skis At: Outlaw Lake

It doesn't matter how your budget balances so long as it does.
While I find it strange that someone would choose a garbage $400 apartment in order to drive a BMW, that's your choice not mine.

I just love the delicious irony of being lectured about debt from an
executive branch that does not, to my reading, have a plan of attack
to reduce it's own debt.

So long as I can hit the snow in the winter and the water in the summer, I am hard pressed to worry all that much.

#18 Tue, Mar 23, 2010 3:39 AM

jipster43
Skis At:

Sounds like Obama was misunderstood.  Let's get back to waterskiing!  Hey!  The ice is melting off our lakes here in Montana!

JP smile

#19 Tue, Mar 23, 2010 2:27 PM

TheOldGuy
Skis At: 36,open water

As a life long boater and skier I get really tired of the class envy card always being played at our expense. I work my butt off to afford a boat and it is the best mental health plan on earth. Every spring when I am getting my 22 year old MasterCraft ready for the season I ask myself (is it worth it?) Then the words hit it come out of my mouth and I get out of the water on my new Radar ski and the question is answered. Being from the Chicago area I know all about the Chicago style politics and class warfair. We have to take anything Obama and his fellow flunkies say with a grain of salt. I can only imagine what he would say to my 2010 ProStar 197! Like jipster43 said lets get back to sking! Support your local pro shop and buy Radar!

#20 Tue, Mar 23, 2010 2:41 PM

StevenHaines
Slalom Mentor
Skis At: Canyon Lake, Ca.
Foot Forward: right

jipster43

Where in Mt. do you ski? Have you been to the sites in Helena? They have some great tourneys there including a 6 round slalom over the 4th of July. It's always a great time. You should check them out.

Board footer