Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Tue, Feb 9, 2010 9:08 PM

Chef23
Foot Forward: Left

Flip Video Camera

I have a trakker and am looking to get a new camera for it.  Do you have a camera suggestion for it.  We have had issues with my friends HD camera so I am not sure what to buy.

We also seem to have an issue getting zoomed in as far as we would like given the delay in the rope making the arm move.  This is particularly an issue at longer line lengths.  Any thoughts on this?

#2 Tue, Feb 9, 2010 9:32 PM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier
Skis At: Not short enough
Foot Forward: Right

Re: Flip Video Camera

Whattup Chef. I just got a Flip Video camera... it shoots HD video and has redicuously simple software that lets you directly upload to the internets. I will get it on the trakker by the end of the month and let you know how it goes. It has 120 minutes worth of storage space, and costs about $150. Can't beat that deal!

Otherwise, any video camera will work. Image stabilizatoin is recommended for riding in the boat. Personally I'm not as big a fan of the DVD-write cameras as compared to MINI-DV tape / hard-drive/flash memory style.

#3 Tue, Feb 9, 2010 11:28 PM

MChilcutt
Skis At: Utah Lake

Wade, mind letting me know what camera you got?

MC

#4 Wed, Feb 10, 2010 4:23 AM

Jhughes
Skis At: Lake County, IL

+1 on the Flip. Cheap, simple. I wouldn't want a more expensive/complex camera on the boat (water, shock, theft, etc.). It's basically tailor made for the Trakker.

Last edited by Jhughes (Wed, Feb 10, 2010 4:23 AM)

#5 Wed, Feb 10, 2010 5:06 AM

MattP
Skis At: Searching

I use my Flip for all my skiing and every thing else!

Looking for a place to ski near Kennesaw, Ga.
-MattP

#6 Wed, Feb 10, 2010 1:23 PM

davemac
Foot Forward: RFF

Are you Flip-users recommending/using the plastic (underwater) case while on the boat, or is it able to be kept reasonably dry w/out it?

#7 Wed, Feb 10, 2010 11:11 PM

MattP

Its easy to keep it dry with out using it I think I have never had a problem. I keep a water proof box in the boat to store it in along with phones and keys etc. Its up to you. http://www.proskicoach.com/forum/uploads/thumbs/4700_large003.jpg

-MattP

#8 Thu, Feb 11, 2010 7:44 PM

Chef23

Does the Flip have image stablization?  I am also going to use it for recording my kids other sports like hockey and figure skating so I also need some zoom capability.

Wade I look forward to seeing some video from your Flip.

#9 Fri, Feb 12, 2010 12:20 AM

Deke
Skis At: 15/34

Another Flip question...  says it won't work with a G4 (non-intel) Mac.  Is that completely true or is it only for certain features?

#10 Fri, Feb 12, 2010 12:32 AM

MattP

All the specs are here http://store.theflip.com/products/Camcorders.aspx   

Deke, I use mine with my mac and I have never had any problems with it.

-MattP

#11 Fri, Feb 12, 2010 12:42 AM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier

Deke, I'm running a G4. The latest version doesn't work with, but the slightly older software (version 4.5) does. I just set it up last week and it is EASY.

Buy through this link to help me out, ever so slightly:

Flip UltraHD Camcorder, 120 Minutes (Black)http://www.assoc-amazon.com/e/ir?t=wadewilliams-20&l=as2&o=1&a=B0023B14TK

The price is ridiculously cheap.

As far as the waterbox goes, it's easy enough to keep in the boat w/o getting wet. think cell phone. You bring it in the boat w/o a waterbox, right?

Thanks!!

\/\/

#12 Fri, Feb 12, 2010 2:13 PM

Deke

Any other accessories needed?  Cables?  Power cords? Battery?

#13 Fri, Feb 12, 2010 2:17 PM

Deke

Wade,  where can you find the older software?  Website looks like it only has latest.

#14 Fri, Feb 12, 2010 4:02 PM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier

#15 Tue, Mar 2, 2010 7:45 PM

davemac

I was planning on picking up a Flip Ultra HD, but I'm curious if anyone has compared (or given consideration to) the waterproof Gopro cameras??  Larger, a bit more money, and no zoom.  Their website has some awesome action videos, but little info on technology (ie. image stabilization).  Also, not sure if it would attach to a tracker.

**Editing to Update....I got some info from another site... apparently the GoPro uses a "fish-eyed" lens, and is primarily for close ups.  The thought being that a skier at the end of a rope would look like "background" and be too small for this design (assuming filming from the boat or pylon).
Sounds like the Flip is still in my future.

Last edited by davemac (Tue, Mar 2, 2010 10:14 PM)

#16 Tue, Mar 2, 2010 8:20 PM

Pl0tz
Slalom Mentor
Skis At: Lake Anna's "hot side"

WadeWilliams wrote:

Buy through this link to help me out, ever so slightly:

Flip UltraHD Camcorder, 120 Minutes (Black)

hey wade,
JW, how is buying it from that link help ya??

i swear this site is turning into my home...

#17 Tue, Mar 2, 2010 8:32 PM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier

I make like 15 cents or something (maybe a couple bucks) if you buy a flip through that link.

#18 Wed, Mar 3, 2010 1:06 PM

Chef23

WadeWilliams wrote:

Whattup Chef. I just got a Flip Video camera... it shoots HD video and has redicuously simple software that lets you directly upload to the internets. I will get it on the trakker by the end of the month and let you know how it goes. It has 120 minutes worth of storage space, and costs about $150. Can't beat that deal!

Otherwise, any video camera will work. Image stabilizatoin is recommended for riding in the boat. Personally I'm not as big a fan of the DVD-write cameras as compared to MINI-DV tape / hard-drive/flash memory style.

Wade have you taken any video using the Flip on the Trakker yet?  I would love to see some.

#19 Wed, Mar 3, 2010 3:25 PM

danbirch
Slasher
Skis At: Canyon Lake, CA

Wade have you taken any video using the Flip on the Trakker yet?  I would love to see some.

Here is a sample video of the Flip Ultra: http://www.danbirch.com/flip_ultra.MP4

The camera has no optical zoom, very poor audio quality (at least on a boat), no image stableization, and a mousehole viewfinder.  Also, you have to plug the entire camera into your computer, which may not always be a good idea (one accidental bang against the camera, and your usb/camera will suffer), depending on the computer you are using.

The Sanyo Xacti VPC-CG10  has 5x optical zoom, a 3" viewfinder, way better audio, Image Stableization (which isn't that great), has a cable that plugs into the computer, and is the same price.
as previously posted, a sample video can be seen at: http://www.danbirch.com/Ski_videos/SANY0080.MP4

I'm not saying that the Sanyo Xacti is the only camera out there (I understand they just came out with a version 20), but, compared to the Flip, it blows it away.  I would be interested to see Wade's Flip HD videos as well.

#20 Wed, Mar 3, 2010 4:11 PM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier

Thanks for the videos Dan. I haven't used the Sanyo.. does it have a tripod mount on the bottom? What about the software for the Sanyo? The biggest thing I like about the flip is it is virtually idiot-proof... plug in, and you're ready to upload to youtube.

As soon as I get ski video with the flip / trakker u guys will see it... probably around mid-March.

#21 Wed, Mar 3, 2010 4:26 PM

danbirch
Slasher
Skis At: Canyon Lake, CA

Wade, I posted the answer w/photos on the Sanyo Dual Camera thread. (yes, it has the tripod mount).  It does have software, I believe.  I just plug it into my computer, and drag the files off the camera onto my computer, and upload them.  That seems easy enough to me.

#22 Sat, Mar 27, 2010 7:43 AM

greg
Skis At: Arvin, CA
Foot Forward: left

I can report very good results with a Trakker and Flip HD.  I was pleasantly surprised with the smoothness of the video despite the lack of image stabalization on the Flip (this was on flat private water). 

And despite the limited range of the zoom, I was able to cut the skiier's head off at 15 off - so be aware.  This combo works! 

Here's a link to a sample - http://sharing.theflip.com/session/500a … o/12043237

#23 Wed, Jun 9, 2010 7:57 PM

davemac

Just picked up a Flip Ultra HD.  Went skiing this noon and filmed two of my coworkers.  I don't have a tracker (yet) but we were very impressed at the outcome just freehanding the camera.  Plenty of zoom, decent quality, and reasonably stable picture.  On top of that, the built in software is ridiculously easy to use.  Having never used the software before, I was able to surprise them by downloading and emailing them videos of their sets within just a few minutes after getting back to our desks.

#24 Wed, Jun 9, 2010 8:44 PM

kstateskier

I have the FlipHD as well, easy to use, works flawlessy, whats not to like...  plus they're cheap!

KstateSkier
"The only thing standing between you and your goals is you"

#25 Thu, Jun 10, 2010 1:33 AM

t8skier
Skis At: Collierville Ski Club, Tn

Video Trakker great. Sanyo Xacti VPC-CG10  not so good.  If you get  slack in a run, it will get out of focus and never return unless you turn it off.  It might just be my camera.

Board footer