Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Thu, Feb 11, 2010 3:11 PM

rgdinsda

Off-season workouts

I was just wondering if anyone does power cleans in the off-season to train for getting back on the water?

I make it a part of my off-season routine.  To me it translates really well into the sport of water skiing.  When you ski in the course you have to turn 6 balls and you are not skiing continually for a long period of time.   Personally, I ski my pass drop and let the rollers settle and then continue dropping after each pass.  Skiing to me is a very explosive sport, (not an expert just my interpretation) so it is good to have explosive strength.  Power cleans train you to be explosive while training your whole body.  I personally find that power cleans help my performance on the water.  The great thing is you don't have to use super heavy weights to get the benefits of being explosive and you can tailor the program to mimic skiing through the course ( ie.  You can set it up so you are doing sets of 6 repetitions and then do this for 6 sets, resting for how long you would normally rest between passes on the water, So you can tailor the workout to mimic what you are doing on the water).

Power cleans are a full body workout.  They work your legs, hips, core, shoulders, arms and back.  Power cleans cover all the major muscles you would use in water skiing.  To me it is one of the best, if not the best weight specific exercise I do that translates well into skiing the course. 

Here is one quick instructional video from youtube there are a lot more if you look around.

You can also do hang cleans if you do not want to start from the floor.

The biggest benefits which relate to water skiing specifically are the core strength and hip strength it develops.  Let me know if anybody does power cleans or if you disagree.

#2 Fri, Feb 12, 2010 1:44 PM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage
Skis At: Old Hickory Lake, TN.
Foot Forward: left

Re: Off-season workouts

I agree, these movements are excellent whole body work outs. I like the fact that they require Balance & stabilization, Explosive muscle recruitment and they will help boost your cardio threshold. there are some fantastic vid's on their as well... -Fun stuff!smile

The down sides are; most people do not have access to a proper facility to perform these and to get proper assistance to learn the techniques. These require a ton of technique and due diligence to do and do properly. (sounds a lot like Slalom!)  A lack of tech. will get one hurt and sidelined very easily.

IMO, A simpler and safer way to achieve much of the same benefits would be to do explosive dead lifts and standing Barbell Military presses. These movements will target your core, increase your balance and stabilization, build your explosive muscle fiber and with Max. wgt. used for max. reps (to failure) with a rep. range of 10-12 one cal still gain some great cardio benefits as well. Technique is still a must, but these movements are a lot easier to learn and also allow a bit more margin for error... Heck, 20 rep. "Full" squats are much the same. Just take a wgt. that you can get 10-12 rep's and then push it out for 20 full depth reps! It takes a ot of mind over matter and a lot of breathing, but, done right this is the bomb of whole body stuff! -and you only need about 1 set of these per w/o...smile

"Warning" -the Surgeon General has determined; That the preceding statements accurately reflect the views and opinions consistent with "DSS" (Delusional Slalomitis Syndrome) a highly contagious life altering condition... (Handle with Extreme care & Patience)

Board footer