Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Tue, Feb 9, 2010 4:59 AM

trichter12
Skis At:
Foot Forward: Left

Radar Strada boot fit issues

I just got my pair of the strada boots molded and mounted the other day.  I have the largest size radar offers, which is the size 11-13. Now, depending on what brand shoe it is, I wear a 12, 12.5, or 13.  I tend to lean more toward the 13 side of things.  Im running into a little issue with fitting properly into the boots.  My big toe is rubbing and pushing on the front of the inner lining.  Is there any technique or special molding procedure that would give me those couple of extra millimeters that would make the boots the perfect fit?  Any ideas and advice are welcome.

Travis

#2 Tue, Feb 9, 2010 5:22 AM

BScolt

Re: Radar Strada boot fit issues

I have the RS 1 boots I wear size 13 in a Nike shoe I took a little bit of a paper towel stuck in the front of the boot and put two bandaids on my big toe and the boots fit great.

#3 Tue, Feb 9, 2010 5:53 AM

ColinBuchanan
Skis At: SkiTek

When you heat mold them you could try wearing a pair of thick socks and also placing the cut off toe portion of a few older socks on the end of each foot to give you the extra space with the liners.

#4 Tue, Feb 9, 2010 6:52 PM

trichter12
Skis At:

Thanks for the help so far guys.
BScolt: So you wear that every time you go out for a set?  What does the paper towel do for you, wouldn't that make things tighter?

ColinBuchanan: I had a little rubber piece over all my toes when i molded it the first time, do you think I would be able to get a decent stretch if i just put as much stuff in there as i could fit?

Travis

#5 Tue, Feb 9, 2010 8:43 PM

ColinBuchanan
Skis At: SkiTek

Layers and multiple molding sessions were the key for me. Put as many layers on as you have to so you get the space you need. If you still feel the toe rubbing them heat mold them again with another layer over your same setup from the last time.

#6 Tue, Feb 9, 2010 10:00 PM

ScaredofCorbets

Travis,

I don't have Radar boots, but have experience with Intuition liners.

BScott and ColinBuchanan are talking about putting extra material while you're heat molding the liners, not while you're skiing. 

Snow ski shops use a toe cap (neoprene material) to mold in the extra toe room as the finished product.  For example, they use the caps to fit my Scarpa T2Xs (intuition liners).  Similar to snow ski boots, you want to make sure that the shells themselves are good fit.  With the liners out, I hope you have around 1/2" - 3/4" of clearance, depends on desired fit and performance.   If the shell clearance is near zero, then the result is likely to be a tighter than desire fit as the liners will take up more space.

You can visit your local REI or most higher end snow ski shop for molding.  They'll have the caps there.

#7 Tue, Feb 9, 2010 10:07 PM

trichter12
Skis At:

Thanks again guys.  The ski shop I bought mine from has the molding equipment for the boots, and the first time around I did use a toe cap.  If im understanding this correctly, my best bet is to go back to the shop and re-mold the boots with as many layers, or as much padding as i can get in the front.  The ski shop has been extremely helpful, and willing to do just about anything to make sure this works out for the best.

Travis

#8 Thu, Mar 4, 2010 3:01 AM

jipster43
Skis At:

You only want extra material in the toe box.  Don't wear a thick sock during the molding process or your boot will be too roomy all around your foot and will defeat the purpose of the intuition liner.  A good boot fitter will be able to take care of your toe!

JP smile

Board footer