Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Tue, Feb 2, 2010 7:04 PM

Jeanette
Skis At: Hamrick Lake, SC
Foot Forward: left

Suggestions for Skiing Big Sky

We are headed to Big Sky next week - can't wait cause they are getting pounded with snow also!  I have not skied there before...anyone have suggestions for good runs?

#2 Tue, Feb 2, 2010 11:15 PM

Aligator
Skis At: everywhere
Foot Forward: Right

Re: Suggestions for Skiing Big Sky

take the tram over and over and over...once you get off the tram, the back side is pretty fun, havn't been there in a few years but Ive heard its gotten pretty touristy...Montana is great though!

#3 Wed, Feb 3, 2010 1:43 PM

Jeanette

Thanks Aligator.  We chose Big Sky this year to get away from "touristy" so I'm a little disappointed to hear that.  We've heard the back side has lots of tree skiing so we'll be checking that out for sure!

#4 Wed, Feb 3, 2010 5:12 PM

StevenHaines
Slalom Mentor
Skis At: Canyon Lake, Ca.
Foot Forward: right

Hi Jeanette,

I've skied Big Sky quite a bit. I've never been big on remembering runs, but Challenger and the Tram were always a lot of fun if you like steeper slopes. As for high speed groomers, they're every where! Big Sky is one of my favorite resorts! The great thing about Big Sky is that it has a lot of high speed lifts, so the lift lines are never too bad. Accomodation wise, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. I'm envious!!! Have Fun!

#5 Fri, Feb 5, 2010 3:07 PM

Jeanette

Steven or Alligator or anyone who knows...

Do you know if the only way to ride the tram is to buy the "interconnect" pass that allows you to ski both mountains?  If you buy a lift ticket just for Big Sky, can you ride the tram to the back side?

#6 Fri, Feb 5, 2010 5:30 PM

StevenHaines
Slalom Mentor

It's been 5 years since I had the luxury of skiing there all the time (moved to Cali). At the time, Moonlight Basin didn't exist, so the tram was included in the Big Sky pass. I have friends there, I'll try to get an answer for you. Have you been on their website? Where are you staying? I'm so envious!!! Big Sky is one of my all time favorites! How many days are you staying? If it's an extended trip, you should make the trek to the other side of Bozeman to Bridger Bowl. Bridger is more of the Mom and Pop setting, but still offers excellant skiing! I'll get back with you later today with that answer.     LUCKY!!!   cool

#7 Fri, Feb 5, 2010 5:42 PM

StevenHaines
Slalom Mentor

Jeanette,

One piece of advice I can give you about Big Sky is, if it is a powder day and you see a wide open area of un-cut powder, there is usually a reason for it. I've fallen for that one before! Most of Big Sky is above tree line and has a lot of shale (sp?) rock, especially off the tram down in the Marx and Lennon chutes. Be prepared to do some base repair if you like to ski off piste.

#8 Fri, Feb 5, 2010 5:47 PM

StevenHaines
Slalom Mentor

#9 Fri, Feb 5, 2010 6:11 PM

StevenHaines
Slalom Mentor

I just spoke to my buddy, it sounds like you can ski all of Big Sky on one pass, but if you want to ski the Moonlight side, there is an additional cost. He did say that on the Big Sky pass you can get to the Moonlight Lodge and back to Big Sky. I have been to the Moonlight Lodge, it's a must see! The fire place there is incredible! You'll see!   Have Fun!

#10 Wed, Feb 10, 2010 1:37 AM

Jeanette

Good advise on the shale (or gravel)...we found it mostly off the tram...but it has not been a huge problem.  WHAT AN AWESOME MOUNTAIN!!!!  We obviously did the tram...again and again...but found the double blacks off Challenger the most fun yet!!!   We are hoping for snow tonight....LIFE IS GOOD!!!!

#11 Wed, Feb 10, 2010 3:19 PM

Jeanette

The ski gods listened!!!!  It is snowing!

#12 Wed, Feb 10, 2010 3:26 PM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier
Skis At: Not short enough
Foot Forward: Right

#13 Wed, Feb 10, 2010 3:29 PM

StevenHaines
Slalom Mentor

The Challenger lift is awesome! The lift lines are usually small and you don't have to do the long flat run out to get to a lift again. We skied there for a week. During that period we got an inch (they said) here and there. Every time we got that little skiff of snow the conditions on the tram were insane! The snow seems to blow into the chutes and build up. With an inch of accumulation, we ended up skiing thigh deep fluff! It was awesome! Hope you're having fun!

#14 Sat, Feb 13, 2010 1:49 AM

Jeanette

Steven - I could not have said it better.....The Challenger lift is the way to go! We also skied at Moonlight Basin and found the best tree skiing ever!  Although the resort only posted 2 inches of fresh snow each day...somehow we found snow up to our knees 4 out of the 6 days!  I cannot figure out why there are not more people skiing this mountain...no lift lines to speak of.....shhhhh!  Sadly, we leave tomorrow...back to reality!

Wade - pics are coming!

#15 Sat, Feb 13, 2010 3:04 AM

Jeanette

http://www.proskicoach.com/forum/uploads/thumbs/4413_dscn2078.jpg

Enjoy a view from the tram!

Board footer