Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Mon, Feb 1, 2010 6:19 PM

dwallar
Foot Forward: Left

Why do I need a wing?

Hi Guys,

I have been skiing a D3 Custom X with double boots for a couple years now.  Last year I decided to get more serious and have had an opportunity to ski at a private ski club near me with a great coach.  My goal has been to just do the course for the first time.  Late last year I was able to do 4 @ 15 off @ 28 mph.  Not quite minimum yet but I was SO close.  Anyway, at my debrief of that day the coach suggested that I take off the wing from my fin as, as he said, "It's not really doing anything for you right now and is probably actually working against you."

Any idea why he would say that?

Thanks.

#2 Mon, Feb 1, 2010 6:37 PM

HO410
Skis At: Outlaw Lake
Foot Forward: Right

Re: Why do I need a wing?

The wing is often referred to as a "brake".

At 28mph you have a fraction of the inertia that you would at 34 or 36. You really don't need help slowing down. With that being said, I feel that a wing delivers a measure of stability, and you may feel more comfortable with that. Don't be afraid to try. In fact, try. You will never know how it feels unless you try.  Next to yourself, then your boots, the wing is the easiest thing to adjust on the ski. It only takes a second to pull it off, and it doesn't take much to get it back either.

Last edited by HO410 (Mon, Feb 1, 2010 6:40 PM)

#3 Mon, Feb 1, 2010 7:00 PM

Deke
Skis At: 15/34

Ditto HO410's message.  Try it.  You will be able to keep your speed up better when entering the turns at long line and slow boat speed without the wing.  It really comes down to what feels good to you though.  Some skis are very well behaved without a wing and yours is one of them.

#4 Mon, Feb 1, 2010 7:16 PM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier
Skis At: Not short enough

#5 Tue, Feb 2, 2010 3:08 PM

Garn
Skis At: Utah Lake

The first time I went out to SkiTek a number of years back I was also at 28 mph and 15 off.  After one set, Chris took my wing off and I immediately felt a big difference.  Two years later I went back out to SkiTek and now I was at 32 and 34 mph, then Chris put my wing back on.  At that speed, again, I felt an improvement.  So I say follow your coaches advice.

Garn

#6 Tue, Feb 2, 2010 4:41 PM

2gofaster

You don't necessarily need a wing. Especially at 34mph and slower. I know more than a couple of 39 and into 41 off 34mph Big Dawg skiers who do not have wings.  The wing does two things.......... increases tip pressure, and acts as a brake.  The effects of tip pressure can be gotten elsewhere.......ie, fin adjustment and body position adjustment. That leaves speed for you to adjust to one way or the other. My thought is 28 off at 36 mph or 32off 34 mph is where you should think about a wing.

Last edited by 2gofaster (Tue, Feb 2, 2010 4:41 PM)

Shane Hill

#7 Wed, Feb 3, 2010 5:03 AM

aslalomboy
Skis At: buchli lake
Foot Forward: left

I ski 34 mph and took my wing off a couple of months ago.  I feel I get better outbound direction after edge change with no wing.

#8 Wed, Feb 3, 2010 6:42 PM

dwallar
Foot Forward: Left

You guys are great....thanks for all the helpful advice.  One last question, if I leave the wing on, will it help me cut through the ice?  wink

Can't wait for Spring!

Don

#9 Fri, Feb 5, 2010 11:31 PM

laz

Hi dwaller.  I have the same coach as you.  He also had me try the course without a wing.  I'm 22' at 34mph.  I'm sure it was better for me.  I was struggling at 22' off without a wing, put it back on and made 22' off for the first time. 

However, I'm too inexperienced to really know what's going on with my ski.  Taking the wing off is very easy to try.  Just remember how it goes back on!

Where besides summerski do you ski?

Laz

Board footer