Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Thu, Jan 21, 2010 11:27 PM

38orbusted
Sorry, this user's posts have been removed

#2 Thu, Jan 21, 2010 11:44 PM

Thomas Wayne

Re: Strada vs. RS-1

It's always been my understanding that the relative sharpness (or roundness) of a bevel has more effect on how deep in the water the ski wants to ride [when on edge] at any given point in the turn/pull.  Bear in mind that information was the common thinking 20+ years ago, so it may have changed in the intervening years.

TW

#3 Fri, Jan 22, 2010 12:52 AM

Deke
Skis At: 15/34
Foot Forward: Right

Another way to think of it is round edges suck because of the longer path the water takes.  Sharp edges release the water, plane higher, are faster but more skiddish.  At least that what I know from surfboard designs.

#4 Fri, Jan 22, 2010 1:17 AM

Thomas Wayne

While we're at it, I wonder if anyone here knows why ski manufacturers sometimes boast about having a "7-degree" sidewall, and what the real reason is for building skis with this angle.

TW
(PS: Hint: the answer is marginally related to Ivory Soap...)

Last edited by Thomas Wayne (Fri, Jan 22, 2010 1:19 AM)

#5 Sat, Jan 23, 2010 4:11 PM

miski
Skis At: Jepawhit, Lyons, SkiTec
Foot Forward: Left

No idea on how it relates to skis, but aerodynamics, 7deg is the typical theoretical limit for a divergent surface to maintain attached flow...  Is that what you are thinking TW?  Doesn't seem to apply as the ski side would never be a divergent surface relative to the flow...

Maybe it's the minimum draft angle to avoid mold-lock and get a ski out of the mold?

I'm same as 38orbust - sticking to riding but interested regardless.

#6 Thu, Mar 4, 2010 3:42 AM

jipster43
Skis At:

This thread makes no sense without the deleted messages, and I am curious about the differences between these two skis.  There are a lot of killer deals on the RS-1, but I don't want to pull the trigger if the Strada is considerably better.  Can anyone answer to that?  I sure would be obliged!

JP smile

#7 Thu, Mar 4, 2010 5:51 AM

Thomas Wayne

miski wrote:

No idea on how it relates to skis, but aerodynamics, 7deg is the typical theoretical limit for a divergent surface to maintain attached flow...  Is that what you are thinking TW?  Doesn't seem to apply as the ski side would never be a divergent surface relative to the flow...

Maybe it's the minimum draft angle to avoid mold-lock and get a ski out of the mold?

Your second guess is the right one.  7 degrees (included) is a typical die-sinking mill bit angle for mold making, and is pretty common for practical and reliable de-molding.

When Ivory Soap was first introduced the manufacturers had to deal with a potentially negative side-effect of the manufacturing process - the original Ivory Soap had air foamed into it, making it lighter in weight.  This had the advantage of floating, ensuring a bar wouldn't get lost when bathing in a river or pond, but the danger was that competitors would accuse the makers of cheating the public by "selling them air".  So William Procter and James Gamble took the initiative, avoiding the negative aspect entirely by promoting Ivory Soap as being "So Pure it Floats"!

This trick is known in advertising as "preempting" - that is, taking an aspect of a product that is unavoidable [through manufacturing] and promoting it as a "feature".  Much like that all-important 7-degree sidewall...

TW

#8 Sat, Mar 6, 2010 3:13 AM

jipster43
Skis At:

Anyone have any information on the differences between the RS-1 and the Strada?  I'm really curious.

Thanks!

JP smile

Board footer