Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Thu, Jan 14, 2010 2:20 AM

Deke
Skis At: 15/34
Foot Forward: Right

Choosing the Correct Boardies

I want to choose the correct boardshorts... but I don't know how to determine the correct boardshorts.

big_smile

#2 Thu, Jan 14, 2010 2:24 AM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier
Skis At: Not short enough

Re: Choosing the Correct Boardies

Things to consider

1) Sickness factor
2) Length (as it directly relates to sickness factor) of shorts
3) Tightness -- Not shooting for the Mike Morgan effect, but too baggy gets in the way, too
4) Uniqueness (can't have the same shorts as your buddy)

I'm sure there are more... these factors just off the top of my head.

#3 Thu, Jan 14, 2010 2:26 AM

38orbusted
Sorry, this user's posts have been removed

#4 Thu, Jan 14, 2010 5:22 AM

tjo

If the word, "Quicksilver" appears on the shorts, then you've chosen well.

Travis Ogden

#5 Thu, Jan 14, 2010 6:53 PM

kstateskier

there's nothing worse than rollin up to your local slalom course and some other dude is rockin your boardies...  Thats why I always keep a backup pair in the Mastercraft!

KstateSkier
"The only thing standing between you and your goals is you"

#6 Thu, Jan 14, 2010 7:36 PM

HO410
Skis At: Outlaw Lake

Agree. It's all about looking good. Function comes second.
Unless you're cool enough to rock the $10 solid color, elastic waist,
mesh liner, mid-thigh running shorts/swimsuit. In which case go
run a PB and be the biggest bad a*$ at the tournament. 

I've spent most of the last few years skiing in one of several pairs of $15 O'rageous (read generic) board-shorts. Wash them 3 or 4 in fabric softener (for starters) and allow to wear for a year or two and they feel great and allow water to pass pretty well. Although I've never had a problem with sea-anchor shorts.

Lately I've been keeping up on Deal of the Day, or deal of the hour sites.  Dodtracker.com will encompass tons of sites. I keep a closer eye on whiskeymilitia.com. Boardies don't come up super often, it's mostly skateboard apparel, but a week ago I got a nice pair of shorts from Analog for $15 (off from $60). No clue how they'll ski but at that price I don't care.

#7 Thu, Jan 14, 2010 7:51 PM

tsixam
Foot Forward: LF

My favourites are pair of black Sundeck shorts with a gold seam. They are not too baggy and have the right length, just above the knee. I think I paid about $35.
Tsixam

#8 Thu, Jan 14, 2010 8:30 PM

Sam

mesh shorts liner = displaced anatomy

#9 Thu, Jan 14, 2010 8:44 PM

Jhughes
Skis At: Lake County, IL

FWIW I love the Abercombie and Fitch board shorts/trunks/whatevertheyare. They are basically indestructable, don't drag in the water, and look good. I don't know if they look "sick" but they look good. I get them on sale in the fall for around 30 bucks. I still ski a pair from 2002 (the red and yellow pair) and they are still in perfect shape. Again, maybe not oozing with "sickness" but definitely tough and functional.

#10 Sun, Apr 25, 2010 8:14 PM

mad4slalom

quite often i get an inch or more taken out of the leg diameter ,,i find this helps with the wedgie effect as i pull up, in the past i have had so much water dragging  i have twinged my back'

#11 Mon, Apr 26, 2010 1:26 AM

horne38
Skis At: Lone Rock
Foot Forward: right

I agree you have to have a good looking pair of shorts plus you need your own look.  Right now i am looking for a pair with some great neon colors on a black back ground.

#12 Mon, Apr 26, 2010 11:55 AM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage
Skis At: Old Hickory Lake, TN.
Foot Forward: left

WadeWilliams wrote:

Things to consider

1) Sickness factor
2) Length (as it directly relates to sickness factor) of shorts
3) Tightness -- Not shooting for the Mike Morgan effect, but too baggy gets in the way, too
4) Uniqueness (can't have the same shorts as your buddy)

I'm sure there are more... these factors just off the top of my head.

I think Wade Nailed it for me!smile "Hail to Sickness"!

I'm deliberate about my purchase. So, I do like what I've got and "think" I be Lookin' Good out there! The funny thing is, I rarely notice what anyone else was wearing that day and can't help but think that not too many people probably ever take notice of mine...roll

"Warning" -the Surgeon General has determined; That the preceding statements accurately reflect the views and opinions consistent with "DSS" (Delusional Slalomitis Syndrome) a highly contagious life altering condition... (Handle with Extreme care & Patience)

#13 Mon, Apr 26, 2010 1:10 PM

Pl0tz
Slalom Mentor
Skis At: Lake Anna's "hot side"

yes to sickness!!!! and also, just make sure they're you're style and you can pull them off wink don't get something that's not you even if it looks "cool"

i swear this site is turning into my home...

#14 Mon, Apr 26, 2010 2:56 PM

AndersonSkiTeam

I bought some shorts and they looked great.  First time in the water turns out they have two inflatable pockets in the front that run the size of my thigh.  I thought this might be helpful but it definitely wasn't.  I ended up having to cut holes in the pockets and then wrap the short around my thighs to stop the parachute effect.  I don't wear them anymore but was on a trip and the options were those shorts or the backup elastic waist, mesh lined, mid thigh shorties so I stuck with the cool looking poor use shorts.  Sometimes I am to vain.

Ski Naked...No Falls, No Balls

#15 Mon, Apr 26, 2010 3:34 PM

philgood
Skis At: 22' off @32 mph
Foot Forward: Left

ok guys there is this store called TJ MAXX and not only do they have sick namebrand board shorts (o'neil, burnside, ripcurl, hurley, etc) for around $5-$10 they also have wet suits from time to time. i got a billabong foil 403 for 45 bucks and a billabong platinum 302 for $15 you cant beat that! and i have never seen anyone rockin my boardies! knock on wood lol big_smile

You can't take life too seriously because you'll never get out of it alive."

#16 Mon, Apr 26, 2010 5:40 PM

danbirch
Slasher
Skis At: Canyon Lake, CA

Wade has some great points on his post.  I would add to it...

ONEILL HYPERFREAKS!

They are light, dry fast, made of 4 way stretch, and have vibrant colors.  Last summer I tried a bunch of different board shorts, and these definately won out on the basis of performance.  When you get into that "lean" behind the boat, the stretch fabric definitely is noticeable in the butt.

Check 'em out...
http://www.oneill.com/hyperfreak

Last edited by danbirch (Mon, Apr 26, 2010 5:42 PM)

#17 Tue, Apr 27, 2010 12:13 AM

miski
Skis At: Jepawhit, Lyons, SkiTec

I left my fav pair of Billabong at SkiTec March 2009 and thought they were long gone – but, was hanging up my vest in the garage this spring and there they were!    12 months later & 1" of dust, but I was ripping lake 2 in them that afternoon smile

Not sure how sick a pair of solid black boardies are (w/ white stitching & cool logo…), but as long as I impress myself, I am happy!

Then again, maybe I have the optimum level of sickness - no one snatched them for 12 months...

#18 Tue, Apr 27, 2010 12:10 PM

lagdawg

I have quickly become a convert to the 4-way stretch board shorts.  Currently I will only purchase board shorts that feature 4-way stretch and a neoprene fly.   I still wear some quicksilvers and kirra (PacSun brand) without the stretch but I will be phasing these out as I purchase new shorts.  That once limited me basically to only the O'Neill Freak line of board shorts.  Recently though I found some Hurley and Quicksilver (Cypher line??) shorts with 4-way stretch.  I do most of my board short shopping at TJMaxx, they have the best deals but you've got to look thoroughly for what you want.

Board footer