Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Mon, Jan 11, 2010 6:58 PM

Slicer_Al
Foot Forward: right

High School summer school class

Anybody out there a teacher and offered a summer school course on waterskiing?  I teach at the high school level and have been thinking of putting together a course.  Looking for ideas.

#2 Mon, Jan 11, 2010 7:18 PM

Pl0tz
Slalom Mentor
Skis At: Lake Anna's "hot side"
Foot Forward: Right

Re: High School summer school class

high school needs that... wish mine did.  Good Luck!!

i swear this site is turning into my home...

#3 Mon, Jan 11, 2010 9:14 PM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier
Skis At: Not short enough

I know at Florida Southern College, it's offered a single-credit elective. 1/2 the course is basics and the other 1/2 is on-the-water. Definitely a great way to grow the sport!

#4 Tue, Jan 12, 2010 6:37 PM

Slicer_Al

I am thinking of doing a half day, teach the basics.  Learn to ski, two ski, slalom, barefoot, wakeboard.  I have asked a couple kids  and they sound excited about it.  Now just to get the ok from the people in charge!

#5 Tue, Jan 12, 2010 6:46 PM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier

Land O' Lakes HS in FL actually had a full ski team a couple years back, too... couple google searches later didn't yield any more information.

Keep us posted on your progress, and any ways we can help.

#6 Tue, Jan 12, 2010 10:02 PM

philgood
Skis At: 22' off @32 mph
Foot Forward: Left

holy smokes i wish we had a water ski class!!!!

You can't take life too seriously because you'll never get out of it alive."

#7 Wed, Jan 13, 2010 4:26 PM

Slicer_Al

Just put in the form to offer my summer school waterski course, just have to wait and see if I get the green light!!

Also asked a couple students if they would be interested, the result was awesome, they were pretty excited about the idea.  I am getting pumped, sure hope this works out!!

#8 Wed, Jan 13, 2010 4:30 PM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier

Awesome! Where are you located, anyways? Are you just planning on pulling them behind your own boat at your home, or what's your plan as far as water time goes?

Great work!

#9 Wed, Jan 13, 2010 5:20 PM

Slicer_Al

I am in Antigo, WI.  I wish I lived on a lake, were I could do this at my own place (someday though).  I have not completely figured out where I am going to do this.  The closest lake to town has a really nice public beach and actually is an awesome lake to ski on.  The only problem with this lake is that the boat landing is extremely shallow and a real chore to load and unload a ski boat.  I might ask around the lake and see if I can leave the boat in for the week and tie up to someone’s dock.  Otherwise, my second lake option is twice the distance but a good beach and boat landing.  I do plan on using my own boat at this point.  For water time, I am thinking 3 students per hour, depending on their skill level and interest.

#10 Thu, Jan 14, 2010 5:42 AM

AndrewBernhagen
Skis At: 0.5 @ 35 off, 36 mph
Foot Forward: LFF

You're in Antigo?  I'm from Stevens Point, I'd love to help out or be a part of this!

"A bad day on the water is a good day."  -Mike Yankaitis

#11 Fri, Jan 15, 2010 1:40 PM

Slicer_Al

Got an answer from the person in charge for summer school.  They said No, to much of a liability.  Not sure what I will do next, I don't like being told no.  The gears are still turning, so there is still hope.

#12 Fri, Jan 15, 2010 1:48 PM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier

Life is too much of a liability.

Are they installing roof heaters to prevent falling ice masses?

Are they banning walking to school because of the chance of someone getting run over or kidnapped?

Are they still serving food? (it could be tainted, big liability with food service)

Do they cancel school at the first sign of a freeze (due to the chance someone could skid their car on the ice, crash into a tree, and die, then suing the school for forcing them to drive?)

And about these busses that they transport people with, that has to be a massive liability in and of itself?

USAWS Provides huge insurance coverages. You'll need to insure the boat as well. This can all be handled without the school going over board in costs. You'll need to get your level 1 instructor's rating (correspondance test, $25 as I recall), and everyone who participates will need to join USAWS, and maybe even set up a ski club. Might need your CPR certification too just to make it look all fine and dandy. Any on-the-water time is a done as a registered practice, and all usaws members are covered under the insurance.

If you didn't have all the angles locked up in this manner I could understand why they wouldn't allow it.

Over 100 college teams operate under this model, and I have a feeling that colleges have a lot more potential liability than your high school.

Why is it that we have to sacrifice diversifying our kid's lives in a vain effort to prevent frivolous lawsuits?

#13 Fri, Jan 15, 2010 1:52 PM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier

#14 Fri, Jan 15, 2010 7:39 PM

Slicer_Al

Wade,

I hear what you are saying.  Schools today have to be careful with financial cutbacks; any unneeded lawsuit would be devastating.  Believe me though; I have not given up on the idea.  Thanks for the links, I will check out the USAWS stuff.

Andrew Bernhagen
Where do you ski the course in Point?  I am originally from Point.  Have you seen Wade’s new ski league idea?  I have just gotten into skiing the course but would like to find some course ski partners, I think there is a public course on Lake Wausau, have you ever skied there?  We should start a league team in the area.

#15 Wed, Feb 3, 2010 3:33 PM

millertime
Skis At: Lake Weir and Blue Lake, Ocala,FL

We have a few kids around us learning to ski for their senior project. The kids here have to take on something that they have never done before in their life and track the process through it all with pics and video then give a presentation to the student body  or class at the need of it all. We are teaching them top to bottom. From skiing to course maintenance to servicing the boat. It has been great so far.

"It is what it is"

#16 Tue, Mar 2, 2010 7:39 AM

AndrewBernhagen
Skis At: 0.5 @ 35 off, 36 mph
Foot Forward: LFF

Hey Slicer_Al, sorry I totally forgot to respond before.  I will also send you an e-mail of this post.  I ski on Lake Dubay, just south of Wausau.  I'm attempting to get a permit to put a course back in on Dubay.  I also know of a private lake nearby in the area that I ski on a lot.

"A bad day on the water is a good day."  -Mike Yankaitis

#17 Thu, Mar 11, 2010 1:35 PM

placidwaters

We have started a scholastic ski club in West Michigan.  GVSU Waterski team is supplying the instructors and drivers, Action Watersports is supplying the boat, Placid Waters (me) is supplying the site and organization with the school districts, and hopefully a  bunch of kids will have fun and  be introduced to the fun of slalom, wakeboard, and wakesurf.

#18 Thu, Mar 11, 2010 4:17 PM

Slicer_Al

Placidwaters,

Please keep me posted on how it works.  It has not worked for me, to get a summer school course option.  I have not given up yet though.  This is something I want students here to be able to experience.  I will contiune looking into other options.  Any suggestions are great.

Board footer