Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Wed, Dec 9, 2009 1:21 PM

millertime
Skis At: Lake Weir and Blue Lake, Ocala,FL
Foot Forward: Right

-35 @ 34mph

OK so I am I think by standards a novice skier. I pretty much just ski local and hope to make some events this year. I am now running my -32 passes pretty regular and at times very easy. But that -35 pass is killing me. What makes that rope length so different. I don't feel that the-28 to -32 was that big of a change it was just time before I would run it. But, this -35 pass feels so much different? I guess the biggest problem i am haveing is the gate. Every once and a while I get that right and I don't feel so akward. Any help?

"It is what it is"

#2 Mon, Dec 21, 2009 12:28 PM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier
Skis At: Not short enough

Re: -35 @ 34mph

35 off is where things really start to change. After that, 38, 39, 41 are sort of similar the way that 28 and 32 are similar... 35 is sort of the cross roads of rope lengths. It starts to take more work to get to the next level from here on out. We could spend weeks working on everything you need to correct in order to get your 35s down for where your at.

I would say spend more time making your 32 offs perfect. If you're just barely getting through them you're not going to get very far at 35.

At 35 off you only have a couple feet of handle clearance. (at 38 the handle stays inside the buoy line). At 32 off you can still ski the handle outside the buoy pretty easily. So that's the biggest thing you're feeling as a difference... your body needs to act more like the rope from here on out.

#3 Thu, Jan 14, 2010 2:56 PM

millertime

Wade
Thanks for the reply. It is kind of what I thought someone would say. But, was hopeing someone would have a remarkable tip for me and I could go out and lay down my -35. I guess if it was tht easy though everyone would be doing it. LOL!
  I understand what you are saying and I am getting to the point now where I can work on differant stuff through my passes. Which has been a big step I think in the right direction. But hey, I am sure my wife will understand me spending another 1000 hrs on the lake this year working this out. LOL! Thanks for the help.

"It is what it is"

#4 Thu, Jan 14, 2010 2:59 PM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier

[the difference between 32 and 35] .... It's about 85% gates. Take a read through all of 38orbusts's recent posts for some great food for thought. Get some coaching early on in the season either online or in person and I'm sure you'll get on the right path.

#5 Thu, Jan 14, 2010 8:11 PM

38orbusted
Sorry, this user's posts have been removed

#6 Thu, Jan 14, 2010 8:50 PM

StevenHaines
Slalom Mentor
Skis At: Canyon Lake, Ca.
Foot Forward: right

I think you're right with the statement of "knowing" that you're at -35! If you can clean up your -32 pass to the point of being able to run the -32 pass in "any" condition, you have the skills to run the Blue loop. Now it's back to mind set and not getting all "gripped up" when they pull you into ol' Blueberry. Last season I finally got my whits about me while running the pass (I could think and make corrections). What really helps me going into the pass is a saying I repeat to myself, "try not to try" I find that when I "try not to try" and just go easy thru the gates,  I generally run the pass. It's crazy how much I back off in intensity at -35 compared to earlier passes. You don't need to add alot of speed and intensity at -35, it's in there all by itself, all you need to do is relax and enjoy the ride!

#7 Fri, Jan 15, 2010 3:32 AM

38orbusted

#8 Fri, Jan 15, 2010 3:35 AM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier

38orbust...

Maybe at 39 you should try saying "This is just 32 off again" ?

#9 Fri, Jan 15, 2010 9:37 AM

38orbusted

#10 Fri, Jan 15, 2010 1:42 PM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier

As with about 99% of the website right now, it's free. We're all hear to learn.

But you can always become a Power User to show your support (and prove your Identity!)

I should have an announcement out later today about the latest Power User - only feature.

#11 Fri, Jan 15, 2010 1:47 PM

millertime

Alright. Well, I had to read all that in three sittings. LOL! Thanks guys "38orbust" for all the great feedback. Ok well let me start answering these questions.

1 First off, is "Miller".........
> Would be all of the first three. To refuel, help heal, and it's my last name. But I am more of a "Drinkability type guy"

2 what style of skiing are you attempting to execute to run all of your passes?
> I would say I try to ski a combo of MB and Parrish if that makes sense

3 Would you say that you are?
> I would say I am a med. knee to slight knee bend. The shorter the rope the more the bend.

4 Do you use a one hand gate or two?
> I use a one hand gate but trying out the two off and on right now.

5 How wide are pulling out for your gates?
> Greens are middle / to the platform. Again working on this approach.

6 when do you turn in for your gates? (from the earliest to the lastest turn in)
> About middle of the boat in the gates

7 Where do you tend to reach in your preturn?
> I would say slightly down course not real sure

8 I am right foot forward

9 I am 6' 185lbs

10 I am on a 05' Monza 68"

11 Fins settings Length 6.875, depth 2.52, DFT .77, Wing 8.  Not real sure on these but this is what I came up with.

12 Bindings Front Med Animal 30.125/ Rear Med Approach 17.875 w/ heal slightly turned in

13 In your opinion at 35, what is happening through the turn that is causing  your less than perfect 1 balls?
> On this one it really depends on the day. A mixture of all of them but mostly -Haveing slack after the turn and getting that hit.

14 No vid at this time. Going to work on getting that soon. Best I have is some pics.

And to reply to the last but not least. It's funny I tell my buddies the -28 is no different than -32 get it out of your head. And I tell my self that same thing but and it is true to form the days I can relax and not rush my runs I feel and ski better. It is crazy the days I really don't feel like skiing are the days I ski my best. Go Figure.

Wade I would like to set something up with you guys somewhere towards late winter early spring. Or maybe, I hear you come to Ocala and ride the trails here and there. Possibly work something out and have you come to our place one day.

Once again thank for the feedback,
Josh

"It is what it is"

#12 Fri, Jan 15, 2010 7:45 PM

38orbusted

#13 Fri, Jan 15, 2010 8:14 PM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier

omg, too much roll

Thanks for your support.

#14 Fri, Jan 15, 2010 9:54 PM

38orbusted

#15 Sat, Jan 16, 2010 10:21 PM

38orbusted

#16 Sat, Jan 16, 2010 11:48 PM

BudMan
Skis At: Bud Lake
Foot Forward: Left

38orbust said a lot of good stuff.

In my opinion, the “patient” is one of the most important.

Timing is so critical past 35.

After you start running 35 and work on 38, you will be able to get by with all kinds of mistakes at 35 that you can’t at 38.

So have fun working on 35 but continue to let the line out and expand your foundation with the fundamentals.

To help you work on your patients, be aware of the rope.

While using what 38orbust told you, keep in mind that your arm is an extension of the rope.

As the ski gets wide you really don’t reach, your arm just bridges the gap between the end of the rope and your body.

Hang out there wide and then turn into a tight rope.

Be aware of the rope. Keep the rope tight.

It will require timing and patients.

Also realize that an ice-skater spins faster when its arms are pulled in. If you allow you outside arm to stick out or worse, out and behind your outside shoulder, your body will not turn as well.

Try not to unnecessarily move your outside arm.

Life is great! Enjoy every minute!

#17 Mon, Jun 7, 2010 11:58 AM

millertime

Well after months of going back to basic training I have overcome the 35' line. I have been running the 32' line in every condition I could and would not chop the line until I would run 3 back to back with little to no bobbles. So yesterday morning things were feeling great tried the 35' twice and all of a sudden everything started to click and ran down to 4 and 5 the last three tries. On my second set third pass it all went down and I am sure I work eveyone up for a three mile radius. I have always told my self if Iran it I would chop it just to see what it felt like and ended up with 1.5 @ 38'. Well I want to thank everyone for the tips and postive feed back on this topic.

"It is what it is"

#18 Mon, Jun 7, 2010 1:18 PM

StevenHaines
Slalom Mentor
Skis At: Canyon Lake, Ca.
Foot Forward: right

Congrats millertime!!! -35 is a mile stone for most skiers. Like Budman said, Patience is key here! Another thing that helps me is to control my aggression. I find that at -35 I really have to back it off or I end up with slack or down course. Keep up the good work!!!

#19 Mon, Jun 7, 2010 3:36 PM

tjo

Congrats Bro!

Travis Ogden

#20 Tue, Jun 8, 2010 1:34 AM

BudMan
Skis At: Bud Lake
Foot Forward: Left

Congratulations.

Sounds like you worked for it, you earned it and therefore you deserve it.

Life is great! Enjoy every minute!

#21 Tue, Jun 15, 2010 6:21 PM

MChilcutt
Skis At: Utah Lake

Congrats that is some sick skiing!!!! and gives me something to work on.   -28 -28 -28 -28 -28 -28      -32
MC

Board footer