Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Sat, Dec 5, 2009 3:01 PM

perfect

Radar RS-1 binding modification

I recently bought a used pair of size 8 RS-1 bindings w/ plate.  Got a great deal and they have only been used a couple of times.  I normally wear a size 8 or 8 1/2 shoe.  At issue is that my big toe is cramped---the other 4 toes are fine.  I have considered putting a slit in the sock in front of the big toe to make some room.  Alternatively (if that doesn't help enough), I have considered carving out a little of the inside of the binding (in front of the big toe) to deal with it.  The other alternative is to sell them and pay $275 more for a size 9---which I would prefer not to do due to the extra cost and the fact that the size 8's fit great, except for the cramped big toe.  I figure that either modification would hurt the character of the boot and the only one that's going to know about the mods is me.  Got any thought?

Thanks, Steve

#2 Sat, Dec 5, 2009 3:48 PM

Deke
Skis At: 15/34
Foot Forward: Right

Re: Radar RS-1 binding modification

First, have you tried "baking" the liners?  You can do this with some extra material like paper towels, a toe cup, bunched up socks, etc. in front of the toe, which will create more room.  Some Intuition liners are "carvable", but not the RS-1 because of the laminated fabric.  Second, if baking the liner doesn't do the trick but you still think you can work with the boot, the shell can be "popped" or stretched by a snow ski boot mechanic right where your toe is hitting. 

I would not CUT anything until trying the above.

#3 Sat, Dec 5, 2009 4:35 PM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage
Skis At: Old Hickory Lake, TN.
Foot Forward: left

Ya, it sounds like Deke nailed it!

Just remember, while you are "Heat molding" them, Your Big toe will be in MUCH discomfort due to as much added stuffing @ big toe area as you can possibly stand...This will allow for the Most room available after the molding process is finished. (this should not only create room @ the toe areas but also crimp the cushion @ the Back of the heel areas to improve your overall fit...)

The liners can be remolded if the 1st or even 2nd attempt isn't a success!smile

Check out the below link for great Heat molding method @ home...

http://www.jagersport.com/vidproduct.htm

Last edited by h20dawg79 (Sat, Dec 5, 2009 4:40 PM)

"Warning" -the Surgeon General has determined; That the preceding statements accurately reflect the views and opinions consistent with "DSS" (Delusional Slalomitis Syndrome) a highly contagious life altering condition... (Handle with Extreme care & Patience)

#4 Sat, Dec 5, 2009 4:54 PM

davemac
Foot Forward: RFF

I just molded my Strada boot.   Got it started by warming 3 or 4 minutes on foil covered cookie sheet in convection oven at 245F flipping once halfway thru.   Then put liner into shell and hit w/ two 1875 watt hairdryers for a couple minutes.  I duct taped an 8" piece of 1-1/4 PVC to extend the nozzle of one of the hairdryers, and cut the end of the pvc at a 45 degree angle.   This helps the air get up into the toe box of the boot.  The other hairdryer I had blasting into the ankle portion.  Two hairdryers is definitely better than one.  I kept moving them around so as to disperse heat.
Steve, you can also just bundle up a piece of paper towel and tape it to the end of your big toe...or across all of your toes to get more room up there.  Don't forget to put on a lightweight sock so you don't burn your foot.  Stand in the boot(s) for five minutes or so until they cool.  Good luck.

Last edited by davemac (Sat, Dec 5, 2009 4:57 PM)

#5 Sun, Dec 6, 2009 9:17 AM

DanE

Heat molding as the above posters stated will help, but there´s one more thing that can help You out.I had the same problem with my RS-1s and discovered that by using a cradled insole like Superfeet my feet got a little shorter compared to let them stand on the flat bottomed footbed.If You have arched feet then Superfeet insoles could help with the big toe issue (along with heat molding)

Board footer