Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Fri, Dec 4, 2009 1:42 AM

bullet1700
Foot Forward: Left

How to Barefoot

Gday
Just wondering what speed I need to ski at for barefoot im about 65KG
I know its watersking sight and you might frown upon barefoot I want to try this year thanks if you could help

Go Hard Or Go Home
If It Hurts Go Harder

#2 Fri, Dec 4, 2009 2:53 AM

ScotChipman
Foot Forward: Right

Re: How to Barefoot

I have been told to divide you weight in pounds by 10 then add 20. So for you 143/10=14.3+20=34.3 mph.

Scot Chipman

#3 Fri, Dec 4, 2009 8:12 AM

AndrewBernhagen
Skis At: 0.5 @ 35 off, 36 mph
Foot Forward: LFF

Just do everything as slowly as possible, and you will stand up fine.  Trust the bernis.

"A bad day on the water is a good day."  -Mike Yankaitis

#4 Fri, Dec 4, 2009 2:23 PM

StevenHaines
Slalom Mentor
Skis At: Canyon Lake, Ca.
Foot Forward: right

Bullet, do you have a boom? That's the easiest way to learn! Scot is about right on for speed. Technique wise, go slow like Berndawg said and try not to force your feet down into the water. It should feel like your standing up out of a chair. As you're riding on your butt keep the handle in close to your waist and just let your feet skim across the water. Ride this position for a while until you get comfortable. When you're ready to stand up slowly shift your weight forward (like getting out of a chair) and before you know it you'll be up! Try to stay in an athletic position, don't go stiff legged! Slow movements are  key!!! good luck   big_smile

#5 Fri, Dec 4, 2009 10:39 PM

snow1122

If you have a boom that is going to help you get up the first time. Getting up on the boom requires less speed versus the back of the boat and you can talk with your coach inside the boat.You'll also need a driver that knows to drive for a barefooter, this makes things a lot easier as well.
You'll need a barefoot suit/shorts, barefoot handle and a neck brace just in case.
Start on the boom and first learn on how to to tumble up or cable start, I prefer to cable start much easier for me as a female then slide on your bum without trying to place you feet in the water. Don't forget to hold your breath for a bit, until you start to plain.
Do this few times then try to stand up very easy with equal pressure on both foot and on your balls of your feet but keep your toes up!
You want to be in a chair sitting position, arms straight, proud chest and looking forward.
When you master this, then move to a handle on the boom and try getting up with the handle on the boom.
Here is a good web-site for your reading pleasure.

http://www.frontiernet.net/~tdreyer/howto/equipment.htm

Good luck!

Snow

#6 Mon, Dec 7, 2009 1:08 AM

bullet1700

ok thanks alot for your help I've taken a foot out of slalom ski and can put equal weight on both feet I don't have a boom I wish I had one but can't afford it. I'm going to have to do it the hard way.
Now I know what speed I need thats a Great help.
cheers guys

Go Hard Or Go Home
If It Hurts Go Harder

#7 Mon, Dec 7, 2009 4:30 PM

Pl0tz
Slalom Mentor
Skis At: Lake Anna's "hot side"

For footing behind the boat, try using a knee board or a wakeboard with no bindings. sit up right on the back of the board and have the driver pull you up.  Get the driver to go at about 23/25mph.  Work your way to the frontish portion of the board (to help stop the board from purposing) and evenly place your feet off each side of the board onto the water. Your feet will act as rudders and help you remain stable through out the transition from board to no board.  The next step, go to the outside of the wake. it doesn't really matter what side you go out to, just what ever side is comfortable for when you are up on your feet smile  Once your out side of the wake and feel comfortable with where your at signal the boat driver to accelerate up to your barefooting speed. As you get faster you'll feel like your almost naturally being lifted up onto the water. And eventually the board will just slip out form under you and you'll be barefootin'! Just remeber to keep the correct posture when you loose the board, The "chair" position, knees together, toes pointed slightly in an and most your wait on the outer edge of you feet, and arms extended and you'll be set!

This is how i learned how to get up behind the boat, i found it to be the most effortless way to do so.  Good Luck! :]

-plotz

i swear this site is turning into my home...

#8 Mon, Dec 7, 2009 10:02 PM

StevenHaines
Slalom Mentor
Skis At: Canyon Lake, Ca.
Foot Forward: right

Using tennis shoes also helps add surface area so you can go slower during the learning process.

#9 Tue, Dec 8, 2009 1:10 AM

bullet1700

I'll give all of the above a go once it stops rainning lol and once the water goes flat early morning run seems to be the best shot I think.
Thanks again for your input no I have some ideas and can get my head around how to pull it off.
Cheers

Go Hard Or Go Home
If It Hurts Go Harder

#10 Tue, Dec 8, 2009 4:01 PM

tjo

Bullet, if you try the wakeboard or kneeboard start just be careful not to hurt your ankles.  10 years or so ago i was trying to figure this out myself and tried that approach a few times.  However, it get's pretty wavey behind the boat getting up to speed so it's tough to hang on and as you put your feet in the water to stabalize yourself, the force can slam the ankles into the board...at least, that is what happened to me. 

Since you can't afford a boom, I'm guessing you can't afford a barefuit suit either.  I was in the same situation when I was learning.  As funny as it sounds, I learned to barefoot behind a three man sea doo, using a partially inflated air mattress (the kind you lay out in the sun on  floating in the water). After getting my ankles banged up on the knee board I figured the partially inflated raft/mattress would not only protect my ankles, but would protect my body (and especially the croch area).  I only had a swim suit and life jacket on.  I basically squeezed the raft beetween my legs, laid back and put my feet up on the rope (criss crossed)...similar to the way the normal deep water starts go with a barefoot suit.  You have to really fight it for 5 to 10 seconds but once you stand up the raft will just shoot out from underneath you. 

I also used tevas to learn so I agree with the shoe recommendation.  Above all, have fun just messing around with it!

Travis Ogden

#11 Tue, Dec 8, 2009 6:22 PM

Pl0tz
Slalom Mentor

tjo, you reminded me of a thing i left out.
to answer your statement about the ankles. I thing i forgot to mention a something that can stop that.

When getting up at first... i keep my feet on the surface on the water. and hold the board steady with my legs. that way the board stays under control until it is on plane. then i bring them back onto the board and press down to keep stop the purposing while i work my way to the front of the knee/wakeboard. then i place my feet down onto the water and hold the board steady with my legs until take off.
hope that makes things easier to understand/ less painful 4 ya bullet. (if your try it)

Also i was in the EXACT same situation (still am) when it came to affording a boom or suit. Luckly my friend had a boom which is how i first learned. but on my boat i can't do that and don't have a suit. so gettin up with nothing is pretty PAINFUL.  Which is why i suggested the board. and yeah i agree with tjo. the inflatable mattress is a good idea smile never tried it my self but i probably will :] thanks

also if you wanted to try and get up with nothing... I've heard people have made home made suits with wet suits of an old pair of jeans with some pads from old life jackets. I tried this my self but i found it difficult to keep the pads in place when i was getting up. I guess if you stitched the pads together it would work but i have yet to do so.
- plotz

#12 Tue, Dec 8, 2009 9:10 PM

tjo

Good suggestions Plotz.  Bullet, one last thing...take some advil before you go out:) Barefoot crashes don't feel that great.  Wear a wakeboard helmet with ear flaps if you have one. Let us know how it goes for you.

Travis Ogden

#13 Wed, Dec 9, 2009 1:17 AM

bullet1700

I like all your ideas I have a hand me down barefoot suit
I have tried the kneeboard approach and that was intersting to say the least lol
At barefoot speed lucky guess going down the river around the bend and hit the wake of a Mailibu that had just turned around with full ballast I couldnt even jump that high even if I tried on anything then had to come down which didnt tickle.

Ive tried deep start starting on my back then spinning around I could do that fairly easy Its just rying to get flat water other people wakes keep spitting me off and the lake that I go to gets drained that quick by farmers its hard to get a good weekend to try.

Go Hard Or Go Home
If It Hurts Go Harder

#14 Wed, Dec 9, 2009 3:34 AM

Pl0tz
Slalom Mentor

bullet1700 wrote:

Ive tried deep start starting on my back then spinning around I could do that fairly easy Its just rying to get flat water other people wakes keep spitting me off and the lake that I go to gets drained that quick by farmers its hard to get a good weekend to try.

I feel your pain... ummm 6 AM runs are always fun!cool

#15 Tue, Feb 2, 2010 9:47 PM

bullet1700

hey guys is it better to use a normal height ski pole or a skypole I'm thinking the lower one as not to pull me forward even more than i have to.

I'm getting exicited we are going up the river next week for the southern 80 ski race so i will be able to try barefoot and test out my new tips for slalom as I havent touched the water all summer too many people on holiday and the bay is stuffed.

Let yous know how I go thanks guys

Go Hard Or Go Home
If It Hurts Go Harder

#16 Tue, Feb 2, 2010 10:52 PM

Pl0tz
Slalom Mentor

bullet,
when i foot i use the tower... i know it makes a difference. unfortunately when i was told the reason for using the tower over the pylon it shot over my head.. i just went by it. but i THINK using the tower helps to keep your hands up and have a little more support form the boat. if I'm wrong. PLEASE someone correct me!
and Nice!! have fun mate! and good luck!! :]
-plotz

#17 Wed, Feb 3, 2010 1:06 AM

bullet1700

Ok then I know its it a lot better with slalom to takes the sress out of my back a bit and feels lighter
I will give it ago with the sky pole and hope for the best.
thanks mate

Go Hard Or Go Home
If It Hurts Go Harder

#18 Wed, Feb 3, 2010 7:19 PM

Pl0tz
Slalom Mentor

Anytime! good luck!

#19 Wed, Feb 3, 2010 7:53 PM

HO410
Skis At: Outlaw Lake

When you hook the rope to a tower, you introduce an upward component to the pull of the boat. This is helpful for beginner skiers, because they are pulled up and out of the water. I would think this would be helpful for bare-footing as well.

Of course you would not want an aggressive slalom skier to have the rope up that high, and never a jumper. Guys that are jumping over 200' are already pulling the boat over, just imagine if they had that big ole' lever up there.

#20 Wed, Feb 3, 2010 8:16 PM

igkya
Skis At: Yough Lake

The higher the rope is attached, the easier it will be to get up from a deep water start. There is very little pull (compared to slalom or wakeboard) so it shouldn't be a problem pulling you forward.

#21 Wed, Feb 3, 2010 9:48 PM

bullet1700

Thats what I thought and thats why wakeboarders love em
Im not to agressive on slalom lol still self taught greenhorn
but it is nice to have the extra lift for a cruisy ski down the river after a few beers

We have a ski event comoing up next month in Melbourne the moomba masters Ive never been there to watch only on tv when I was a kid. It will be good to see some experts in action.

Go Hard Or Go Home
If It Hurts Go Harder

Board footer