Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#26 Mon, Mar 22, 2010 4:04 PM

Thomas Wayne

Re: Is this injury so bad I should quit?

EdJohnson wrote:

Something to consider when coming off of an ankle injury is to learn how to properly tape your ankle right before skiing. I have been at the starting dock and seen some of the top skiers in the world do this and have had to do this myself. You just use duck tape, takes only a couple minutes, and will really help to stabilize your ankle. It will also help protect you in a fall.
Good Luck,  ED
PS: HIGHLY recommend releasable hard-shells for stability and protection.

+1
(and be sure to shave your foot/ankle/lower leg first...)

TW

#27 Mon, Mar 22, 2010 4:32 PM

HO410
Skis At: Outlaw Lake
Foot Forward: Right

Unless you're into trichotillomania. In that case, don't shave, it will be fantastic.

#28 Mon, Mar 22, 2010 7:28 PM

Pl0tz
Slalom Mentor
Skis At: Lake Anna's "hot side"

WadeWilliams wrote:

Stick with your passion.

perfection in 4 words.

wade u mind if i quote you??

Last edited by Pl0tz (Mon, Mar 22, 2010 7:30 PM)

i swear this site is turning into my home...

#29 Tue, Mar 23, 2010 11:41 AM

chriscpm

miski wrote:

>> I have a 60-80% tear in posterior tibial tendon and some other damage more towards the front - I can ski with it, but I can't run and if I am standing/walking for more than an hour or two a day, it gets real sore and tight and it seems to be getting worse over time. So I am convinced I will need a repair eventually, but I've had all the imaging and been to the ortho surgeon 3 times, and I am NOT convinced they get what is going on, so I am going to get it looked at somewhere else... With the questions you have, maybe this is something you should consider as well, or at least keep this in mind depending on how things progress.

All of the comments are really helpful.  This one sticks out though.  I was speculating with the PT that skiing would be less impact than walking and running.  There is no way I can run yet.  He saw my ski video and seemed to think the wake crossing would be a tough impact.  My blading last week makes me think the skiing will be OK.

On the overdoing it issue - I'm keeping an eye on everything to try to avoid overdoing it.  I'm way past the insurance coverage for PT, but still go and just pay the bill.  I get good feedback there.  The main excercise I'm doing lately is to step onto a step with my bad foot slowly, then lift the good foot up - but without any push off.  Its basic, but uses a lot of muscles.  I can only do that 2-3 times a week so far.

I'm looking into some hardshell boots.  I wasn't aware you could tape up and wear a brace inside those.  Thanks for those tips too.

#30 Wed, Mar 24, 2010 2:06 AM

19skier

This has been an interesting thread. I would really like to learn about taping ankles and finding hardshells suited for ankles with reduced range of motion. I am still non-weight bearing after a third surgery on my front foot & ankle. With the Talus and Navicular bones fused now I am probably done with rubber bindings. I need to ski and want to give this ankle the best chance possible. How do you tape an ankle/foot for this sport and what may be the best binding setup - a plate system, ....? Thanks for input that comes from your or someone elses successful strategies.

#31 Wed, Mar 24, 2010 2:00 PM

frank
Skis At: Champions Lake Clermont, FL
Foot Forward: right

Interesting indeed 19 skier. I am struggling with arthritis and bone on bone in my rear ankle. Fusion for me is in the future.  For me the rubber boots were too tight. I have a high arch and to get any decent support I needed them tight and that flared up the arthritis in the foot. I switched to the RS1's with superfeet liners a couple years ago and am quite pleased. I can easlily slip into them with the ankle duck taped.

#32 Wed, Mar 24, 2010 8:15 PM

tjo

Another vote for RS-1's from me.  I used to suffer from major back ankle pain on the approach bindings.  Have used gymnastic tape instead of duct tape, but with the RS-1's i don't even need to tape them anymore.  Granted my ankle injury was minor.

Travis Ogden

#33 Sun, Apr 11, 2010 1:36 AM

sszost

I broke my ankle in 3 places 3 years ago much the same way your injury happened. I was going around 3-ball, blew out the tail, and snap, 3 plates and 14 screws. They took out the big plate and a buch of screws the following spring. So I was trying out an F1 with drafts about a month later because I thought 2 boots I can't come out of was the answer. I went out the front and had a spiral fracture of the same leg. Crutches for another 8-weeks. I started doing a lot of reading on line, asking questions, and talking with skiers. The one binding that I couldn't find were someone came out and said they were injured using was the Reflex. So I went with a Reflex and just a rear toe plate again. Skied with it all last year, and it worked great. I had Bennets update it to the new 500 release over the winter, and had a chance to ski on it a couple times already (I live in Michigan). I would buy one again in a heartbeat. You can get one through Bennets 3event store where I bought mine, or H2Osmosis has them now too. One other word of advice is you can set the binding much lighter than recommended. Someone told me that and I have my release at about # 4 only. I am 185 lbs and have never had a false release. Best of luck.

Last edited by sszost (Sun, Apr 11, 2010 1:38 AM)

#34 Thu, Apr 15, 2010 8:43 PM

CdnMalibu07

Chris,

Towards the end of last season I injured my forward foot in a very similar way. Wearing double Approach boots I turned around ball six and my Malibu won the battle. After weeks of a badly bruised and completely black foot I skied a few more times before stopping for the year. Contrary to other comments it was a warm day, and I was warm. However, due to the swelling, I limped around for about two months, had regular xrays and PT but certainly did not think it was going to be a major problem. I was wrong. After 4 months I finally had an MRI to uncover what was really wrong. I found out that not only had I torn and stretched all of my inside ankle ligaments but the force of the ankle compression cracked my Talus bone. With a proper diagnosis I set out to rehab the joint and ligaments. Its now been 8 months and the best advice I was given was to stay mobile and not to let the ligaments tighten up. Running seems to be the most stressful because of the repeated compression and stretch movements. I estimate that my full recovery will be 12-18 months before I don't 'think' about my ankle. The wobble board will help stabalize the joint but time is the healer. I skied two weeks ago. I plan on getting back to basics, improving my body position and having even more fun than I did before I was sidelined. All the best!

#35 Sat, Jun 12, 2010 8:10 PM

chriscpm

Just to wrap this one up, I have been skiing this year.  I started very slowly.  I'm getting back some confidence.  I did switch away from the animals to the reflex system.  I'm skiing better than I thought I would, but not as good as I hoped.

I have 80-90% of my motion back, but it always feels stiff.  I was only able to do a light jog 8 weeks or so ago, so I'm glad I made it this far.  There isn't pain, but just stiffness.

Thanks for all the tips and support.

Chris

#36 Sun, Jun 13, 2010 5:40 PM

miski
Skis At: Jepawhit, Lyons, SkiTec
Foot Forward: Left

Chris - If you figure out skiing w/ stiff front ankle, please post. The more I ski, the stiffer/sorer my front ankle gets and it sure seems to degrade my skiing. Sometimes the first or second pass really hurts, but then it's all broken lose and I ski better w/o pain the rest of set!

#37 Thu, Jul 8, 2010 12:52 AM

chriscpm

miski wrote:

Chris - If you figure out skiing w/ stiff front ankle, please post. The more I ski, the stiffer/sorer my front ankle gets and it sure seems to degrade my skiing. Sometimes the first or second pass really hurts, but then it's all broken lose and I ski better w/o pain the rest of set!

I can't say I figured out how to ski with a stiff ankle, but I have seemed to adjust my style a bit to ski with it.  I just started getting into a decent form in the last week or so.  I might hit my -32 pass this year yet.

I did take a crash with the Reflex where it released.  It hurt like ... well lets say a lot.  I did all my rehab techniques and was back in 3 days.  I really recommend a hand-held ultrasound for anyone with injuries.  I paid $150 for mine and it just a gem.  I did a system of ultrasound, stretch, ice, rest and repeat and was all set.  Otherwise it would have been a week+.

Board footer