Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Tue, Nov 10, 2009 10:27 PM

StevenHaines
Slalom Mentor
Skis At: Canyon Lake, Ca.
Foot Forward: right

Heel lifts, do you use them?

Wade mentioned that he had played around with heel lifts in his boots and now doesn't use them at all. I was just wondering what the general consensus on this topic. I've tried front and rear heel lifts and I'm now using a lift in the rear boot. I think I'm going to try it "liftless" this weekend.

Wade what is your feeling on this?

#2 Wed, Nov 11, 2009 4:31 PM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier
Skis At: Not short enough
Foot Forward: Right

Re: Heel lifts, do you use them?

I think it's really good to change it up and experiment. We spend so much time doing the same thing over and over in slalom (start by moving left, then right, then left, etc), so I think it's great to change it up and make in interesting.

Use the Ski Log to keep track of your changes. That way you'll always be able to reset to where you know your setup works for you.

Right now I'm not running any heel lifts -- but with the fogman boots, the heel cups are in fact a heel lift on both boots. So when I say I don't run any lifts now, I still technically do have a heel lift in.

I ran for about a season with a rear lift, half with a front & rear lift... a few sets with a big lift in the back and a partial in the front... now I"m back down to regular fogman heel cup 1/4 lift on front & rear boots.

#3 Wed, Nov 11, 2009 5:08 PM

StevenHaines
Slalom Mentor

Did you notice a significant difference? I've bounced around with it from none to both and now just in the rear. All over the past 2 seasons. I've heard arguements that a heel lift promotes pushing on the tail of the ski??? I also read that one guy was putting lifts under his fore foot to promote tip pressure??? (not critisizing, just curious) Its been a while since I tried skiing with no lifts. To date, I like the feel of a lift in the rear boot pretty good. I'm just interested in hearing your opinion because obviously you have a good understanding of the mechanics involved.

As for mixing it up, I'm all for that! I think that some times you can stumble on to something good while experimenting (as long as you keep track of your changes).

As for the Ski Log, that's a great tool!!!

Thanks,  Steven

Oh Ya..... I'm on Fluid Motion Binders (if that matters)

Last edited by Steven Haines (Wed, Nov 11, 2009 5:16 PM)

#4 Wed, Nov 11, 2009 6:47 PM

HO410
Skis At: Outlaw Lake

#5 Wed, Nov 11, 2009 8:29 PM

StevenHaines
Slalom Mentor

Thanks HO 410!  Interesting read.

#6 Thu, Nov 12, 2009 8:54 AM

philgood
Skis At: 22' off @32 mph
Foot Forward: Left

where do you find heel lifts?

You can't take life too seriously because you'll never get out of it alive."

#7 Thu, Nov 12, 2009 1:37 PM

StevenHaines
Slalom Mentor

I just made mine out of a harder rubber material.

#8 Thu, Nov 12, 2009 3:26 PM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier
Skis At: Not short enough

Or you can get a sheet of acrylic or lexan from your hardware store/ home depot and just cut it with a sawzall into the shape you need for your boot.

#9 Thu, Nov 12, 2009 4:55 PM

Thomas Wayne

Any shoe repair shop should have plenty of options, including commercially marketed heel lifts for... you know, the "height-challenged" among us.

TW

#10 Thu, Nov 12, 2009 8:24 PM

StevenHaines
Slalom Mentor

TW, I was wondering, do they make a special model for the "Ability Challenged" ? I need those ones!!! Ha!

Board footer