Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Wed, Nov 4, 2009 2:45 PM

patmaster

Cutting Rear Fogman Diablo Boot for more forward flex?

This is for Wade because I think he is still on Fogmans. Do you cut the rear boot to allow it to flex further forward? Do you raise the heel (especially if the Achilles tendon is a bit overused..)? Any suggestions?

#2 Mon, Nov 9, 2009 4:44 PM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier
Skis At: Not short enough
Foot Forward: Right

Re: Cutting Rear Fogman Diablo Boot for more forward flex?

Patmaster -- sorry for taking a few days to get back to you.

My rear boot is cut in the "stock" fogman method, with a cut down the side of the boot.

I use the regular heel lift (heel cup). In the past I have skied with an additional lift in the back. At one point I was running a half-inch lift in addition to the 1/4 inch lift that the heel cup gives you. It was good to practice with for a while. Right now I don't have a lift in though. I think it's good to try different things, so experiment with it and you'll find out what works best for you.

I'm not sure what you mean by overusing your achilles. I would imagine if you are having some strain then the heel lift would probably feel good. I keep the top buckle of my back boot on the loose side, which gives me a little bit of rear heel mobility, which I like.

#3 Wed, Nov 11, 2009 2:54 PM

KM
Foot Forward: Right

You can cut a "V" in the rear tabs inside your cuff of the rear boot to allow a little more forward flex on Fogmans.

#4 Sun, Nov 29, 2009 5:23 PM

miski
Skis At: Jepawhit, Lyons, SkiTec
Foot Forward: Left

I like my cuff to flex forward easily but then have a good solid stop before I over-range my ankle. If you are staining your achiles, you might want to consider this in case of a fall. I hope that if I get hard onto the stop of my front cuff in a fall, that it pops the binding. This is for the case where you end up flying w/ your ski out in front, then the tip digs in and crushes you down on top of the ski....

#5 Sun, Nov 29, 2009 6:39 PM

patmaster

Thanks guys. I cut the rear boot inside tabs flat so the cuff can actually flex forward almost freely. Works, but rear foot achilles tendon seems to be still hurting.... To my mind, if you allow the boot and your foot to flex freely, instead of the cuff blocking and your tendon getting a nice load it should be better in the long run. Still, this has not been going o long enough for a definite conclusion. The Powershell springs on the rear heel sure look good for this. I don't like to lift my heel inside the boot since I feel this may eventually contribute to the scary situation where the rear foot somehow makes it's way out! So I use some washers under the rear of the rear boot and I'm looking for longer screws (not easy in Europe!). As to the OTF, yes they are nasty but my Fogmans release 8 out of 10 times as they should...the rest is R.I.C.E. and I'm sure you all know what that means.sad

Board footer