Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Mon, Oct 26, 2009 3:51 PM

davemac
Foot Forward: RFF

suggestion for a Comp Vest that provides moderate floatation?

I'm looking to pick up a Comp vest prior to spring...to initially wear under or over a dry suit... and thereafter when the waters warm up.  Seems like the O'Neill Gooru and Eagle B.O.P. are both popular.
My concern is floatation.  For whatever reason, I have almost no natural bouyancy.  Most of my skiing is done in deeper waters (which just means I have deeper to sink after a bad fall), so  I'd be willing to sacrifice some "comfort" for a little extra "floatation", but don't want all the bulk of a USGA vest.
Any specific vest suggestions or ideas would be appreciated.
TIA,
Dave

#2 Mon, Oct 26, 2009 4:17 PM

HO410
Skis At: Outlaw Lake
Foot Forward: Right

Re: suggestion for a Comp Vest that provides moderate floatation?

I've tried on molded comp vests and pullover vests back to back. My current vest is a molded style A-10, the pullovers I tried were an Oneil Gooru, an Eagle rear-zip, and the HO pullover. I was surprised, but my A-10 provides more buoyancy that any of the pullover vests. Just for reference on the A-10, if I don't take a deep breath before jumping off the platform I'll need to swim a little to get to the surface.

If flotation were my criteria, I would look at something like the Hyperlite 5. The Radar Strada looks similar, but I've not seen one in person. The 5 is not coast guard approved, but just barely. I couldn't sink if I tried.  Of course this also means that the 5 is going to be one of the bulkiest "comp" vests out there. I still keep mine around for deep sites and public lakes.

Last edited by HO 410 (Mon, Oct 26, 2009 4:22 PM)

#3 Mon, Oct 26, 2009 6:44 PM

Deke
Skis At: 15/34

The other thing about having some flotation is "can your partner get you back in the boat" if you're unconscious?

#4 Mon, Oct 26, 2009 10:38 PM

AndrewBernhagen
Skis At: 0.5 @ 35 off, 36 mph
Foot Forward: LFF

I've got the Connelly Prophecy Vest and that's very comfortable and floats me much better than a buddy's pullover I used a couple of years ago.

"A bad day on the water is a good day."  -Mike Yankaitis

#5 Tue, Oct 27, 2009 2:25 AM

Jim5

DaveMac - call Eagle Sports and ask them about the Bird of Prey custom vest they made for me after I bruised my ribs in the stock BOP. It has two layers of 9mm foam, versus the stock single blocks of 13mm. There is a single panel of 9mm throughout the two fronts to offer better impact protection. It is still extremely comfortable and flexible. Get the zipper in front. Call Eagle and ask for Larry. Ask him about the vest they made for Jim in Houston a few weeks ago. Check my blog entries on this site under Eagle Vests. If you really sink like  a stone, ask Larry to make the second inside full panel in 13mm instead of the 9mm. It will give you that much more impact protection and more flotation. Good luck.

#6 Tue, Oct 27, 2009 2:54 AM

ChrisRossi

The Radar Strada Vest is awesome.  I previously used the O'Neill Outlaw and the Boost.  I find that the Strada fits the best to my body.  It fits so go that I forget that I'm wearing it.  It floats me at a good height while waiting on the ends and feel there is good rib protection.  This is a non-coast guard approved vest.

Board footer