Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Mon, Oct 26, 2009 12:40 AM

tjo
Foot Forward: Right

What Happened to Dave Goode?

What happened to Dave Goode?

Travis Ogden

#2 Mon, Oct 26, 2009 1:52 PM

ScotChipman
Foot Forward: Right

Re: What Happened to Dave Goode?

This is what happened to Dave Goode which was taken from  http://goode.com/blog/2009/10/tournamen … ny-skiers/

“It was 41 degrees Fahrenheit at 7:30 am when the tournament started.”, said Dave Goode. “I skied about 9:00 am and it was still very cold. I was wearing a wool hat while skiing to help keep from getting an ‘ice-cream headache’. I did not get a good start at 38’ off and came into 2 buoy narrow and ran right over it. The buoy sent my ski airborne for a few feet and then the ski bit as it hit the water in a series - 3 times; almost like skipping. My Single Boot RTP PowerShell binding did not release as all of the forces were a downward force (like jumping off of a second story balcony). There is currently not a boot system designed that will allow you to release through the bottom of the ski.”, Goode continues.

“In 1975, my left ankle became partially fused after 3 surgeries to try to repair it from a snow skiing incident. Since then, I have broken it twice and sprained it once in rubber boots by hitting buoys water skiing. Enough is enough!”, Goode continues.

“I find it ironic, that with the development of the GOODE PowerBuoys, we had already identified the dangers of hitting a traditional air-inflated buoy and have developed several prototypes of safer buoys. I personally know many skiers who have broken their ankles in a similar fashion. On GOODE Ski Lake, I keep the buoys very low in the water for practice to help prevent such an accident. However, for tournaments, the buoys must meet AWSA specs, so up they go.”, Goode continues.

“I told Dawn, ‘At age 54, I am too old to have this happen, again. I am committed to find or develop a safer buoy and I will NEVER ski around another traditional air-inflated buoy again, in my life.’”, Goode said.

“I just finished the best tournament season of my life with an unfortunate ending.  I’ll have several months of rehab and then, hopefully, my life-long “glass” ankle will give me a few more years of water ski enjoyment.”, concludes Goode.

Dave Goode is encouraging anyone with ideas on how to make a safer water ski buoy to contact him directly at [email protected].

You are also encouraged to complete the following on-line survey of your experiences with water ski related injuries and, more specifically, water ski buoy related injuries. http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=O … yo1w_3d_3d

Last edited by ScotChipman (Mon, Oct 26, 2009 1:54 PM)

Scot Chipman

#3 Tue, Oct 27, 2009 1:49 AM

MattP
Skis At: Searching
Foot Forward: Left

I wish you a speedy recovery Dave!

I have hit my fair share of buoys head on before not one of my favorite things to do

Looking for a place to ski near Kennesaw, Ga.
-MattP

#4 Tue, Oct 27, 2009 3:19 PM

EdJohnson

Last week we had Ed Roberts certify our course here in Orlando. When putting in all new buoys I decided to take TW's research on waterfilled buoys and replaced all turn buoys with 20cm, half waterfilled buoys. This Sunday I nailed one ball after the apex inbound at 38 and kept right on skiing. THANKS TW, it worked just as you stated and I did not rebound off the buoy.
I highly recommend everyone to accomplish this as an important safety aspect.
I am confident Dave will design a new, safer buoy, and wish him a speedy recovery.
GOODE LUCK, ED

#5 Tue, Oct 27, 2009 9:12 PM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage
Skis At: Old Hickory Lake, TN.
Foot Forward: left

Ed Johnson wrote:

Last week we had Ed Roberts certify our course here in Orlando. When putting in all new buoys I decided to take TW's research on waterfilled buoys and replaced all turn buoys with 20cm, half waterfilled buoys. This Sunday I nailed one ball after the apex inbound at 38 and kept right on skiing. THANKS TW, it worked just as you stated and I did not rebound off the buoy.
I highly recommend everyone to accomplish this as an important safety aspect.
I am confident Dave will design a new, safer buoy, and wish him a speedy recovery.
GOODE LUCK, ED

Hey Ed,

Where can I find this "research on waterfilled buoy's"? -My rib's have been really bugging me about this for the last 3 wks.!!!yikes

Thanx!

Last edited by h20dawg79 (Wed, Oct 28, 2009 1:05 AM)

"Warning" -the Surgeon General has determined; That the preceding statements accurately reflect the views and opinions consistent with "DSS" (Delusional Slalomitis Syndrome) a highly contagious life altering condition... (Handle with Extreme care & Patience)

#6 Tue, Oct 27, 2009 9:36 PM

EdJohnson

The research was posted by Thomas Wayne about a year ago on the Nichols Waterski Forum. Right now there is extensive discussion on this subject on BallofSpray.com under the thread about Dave Goode breaking his leg.You may find this interesting....ED

Board footer