Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Sun, Oct 25, 2009 5:09 PM

LeonJones
Foot Forward: LFF

Ankle injury question

Yesterday I broke my left fibula and talus:o. The Doctor highly suspects ligement damage as well, but wont know for sure until he goes in with a scope. I was going from 2 ball towards 3, loaded BEFORE the wakes and went right out the front. The rear boot released (HO Animals) but the front did not. The wind mill action of the ski, while rotating (twice!) with the front foot in, did the damage. I'll have surgery once the swelling goes down.

I have two questions:
  1. has anyone out there had this type of injury (Chris Rossi)? What can I expect with the 
      recovery/rehab? How long? 
  2. Would double hardshells have prevented this injury? Would dbl hard shells be advised
      for future skiing with this damaged ankle?
  3. How do I convince my wife to support my return to the water:P? This is my third
      major injury requiring surgery in the past six years. ...I think I know that answer

#2 Mon, Oct 26, 2009 12:09 AM

miski
Skis At: Jepawhit, Lyons, SkiTec
Foot Forward: Left

Re: Ankle injury question

Leon – very sorry to hear about your bad luck - hope you recover asap.

I never broke my tibia, but I do have a number of large chips floating around in my ankle and am trying to decide whether to have surgery this winter to repair my ruptured posterior tibial tendon... this is an eventuality it seems as your whole ankle & foot falls apart over time with this injury. This is all on my front foot, and the damage happened over the course of several big hits where I didn't release from my rubber bindings.

In Feb, I went to a double hard shell setup where either boot can release, and if one goes, they both go. Also, the heel of the front boot can release if you get jammed down straight on top of ski. Without this change, I was going to be done skiing. Besides the release, I've tweaked the front boot a lot (molded orthotic, local shell molding, heat molded liners w/ compression brace) and my front foot/ankle feels supper supported and solid. I have ~90 sets on them and released 6 times when I really needed to - 5 times pain free, and once w/ very slight and temporary high-ankle strain. I've pre-released 3 times, but the first two were before I got brave enough to set the pin preload up to recommended, and then another time where I don't think I got the velcro engaged properly.

You can still get hurt in hard shells as Dave Goode proved last weekend, but I believe I am significantly safer w/ my current setup.

#3 Mon, Oct 26, 2009 12:38 AM

EdJohnson

Leon,
        Sorry to hear about your injury, at least it was going into the winter. As far as Double Hardshells are concerned I believe they are the safest and best performing choice. Currently use the latest Goode Powershells, but have used Fogman and FM's also. Would be glad to help you set them up since your here in Orlando. I have over 15 years experience setting up Fogman and Goodes, so let me know how I can help you. E-mail me at [email protected].
Sorry, ED

#4 Mon, Oct 26, 2009 2:34 PM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier
Skis At: Not short enough
Foot Forward: Right

Leon,

That sucks to hear! I'm sure you'll be out for a while but atleast your knee is doing great! Ahhh man, so sorry. That's a real bummer. Atleast it happened at the beginning of the "winter" in Florida!

heal up soon,

#5 Thu, Oct 29, 2009 11:13 PM

chriscpm

Leon,

On September 30th I had a similar crash.  It was cold water and cold air, probably 55/52.  I didn't tumble, but had a fairly new ski (3rd outing).  I went to a shorter ski (a 68 from a 69.5) since i dropped from 210-220 range to 190-200 over the last two years.  The ski was turning great, but over torqued around 5 (my offside).  I think the tip of the ski was pulled toward my nose, but I may have had a side to side twist.  It was so fast.  I was skiing, tehn I was in the water.  It seemed minor, but I lost my back foot, and toasted my front.  I had animals too.

I don't have a break (so far), but a completely torn inside ligament, a partially torn outside ligament, a compressed something or other, some pulling of one ligament away from the bone, and some internal bruising on some of the bones.

I was on crutches until this week.  I'm limping around now.  The rehab guy (PT) says 4-6 more weeks and I'll only have a slight limp.  I heard 12 months for 80% strength.  The crutches sucked.  I didn't expect my hands to hurt so bad!  I actually kept in shape with all the effort of moving around though.  I fell on the stairs once and almost tumbled down, but caught myself midair on the railing.

The rehab the first day wasn't so bad.  He stretched the heck out of it today though.  Between a few days of walking and the stretching, its swollen up to where it was 2 weeks ago.  Modern theory is to move it as soon as you can.  Old school is imobilize for 6-8 weeks.  I can barely move my foot front to back.

On 2 and 3, I'm wondering those very things myself.  I'm not sold on hardshells, but will ask around.  I'm wondering if I can convince myself to continue, but I suspect I will.  The wife is another story.

Chris

Leon Jones wrote:

Yesterday I broke my left fibula and talus:o. The Doctor highly suspects ligement damage as well, but wont know for sure until he goes in with a scope. I was going from 2 ball towards 3, loaded BEFORE the wakes and went right out the front. The rear boot released (HO Animals) but the front did not. The wind mill action of the ski, while rotating (twice!) with the front foot in, did the damage. I'll have surgery once the swelling goes down.

I have two questions:
  1. has anyone out there had this type of injury (Chris Rossi)? What can I expect with the 
      recovery/rehab? How long? 
  2. Would double hardshells have prevented this injury? Would dbl hard shells be advised
      for future skiing with this damaged ankle?
  3. How do I convince my wife to support my return to the water:P? This is my third
      major injury requiring surgery in the past six years. ...I think I know that answer

#6 Fri, Oct 30, 2009 12:18 AM

2gofaster

When the body goes in motion forward, it's a lot easier to come out of a back binding than the front. That's because the ball of the front foot becomes the pivot point of the leverage arm and is pushing down into the ski. Since the heel has such a short lever arm from the ball, it doesn't have the force to pop it out of the rubber binding at times. The thing about rubber bindings is that they use tightness around the foot to impart control.

Sorry you guys have been hurt. Hopefully you'll heal quickly and be back on the water ripping it up. I'm of the opinion that anyone with a front ankle injury should look at a Reflex front binding when they get back on the water.

Shane Hill

#7 Mon, Nov 16, 2009 4:59 AM

mikeleake

Hi Leon,

Sorry to hear about the accident, bad news. In the middle of last summer (Feb in Aust) I was free skiing on the river and turned right over a very small rolling set of waves that I hard even noticed - but skipped off the first to catch the second and high side myself into the water. I cracked a rib on the impact but also ruptured an outer ligament on my front ankle and suffered a 2nd degree (estimated by physio after looking at scans) tear on the lower ligament. The bone bruising initially hid the fact there was also a fracture in the talus while the hemorrhaging around my ankle also looked pretty ugly. It was as a 12 week rehab for me - boot, strapping and the finally mobilization.

I also ski with an Animal front boot which is a large - my foot size is 9 and wonder if my boot is actually the correct size as looking at sizing charts I think i should maybe be in a medium? I have a very low instep for my snowski boots and I have to strap in pretty tight for my water ski so thought that it may have contributed to the damage. If anyone had any thoughts on that?

The good news is that my ankle healed well, i skied on it at the end of the season and hit the snow later in the year along with a full season of racing enduro (dirt bikes) with pain free mobility - for the most part anyway! So that is something at least you can look forward to! 

Is the argument that hard shells will prevent these kind of injuries 'most' of the time?

Good luck with the rehab mate.

Cheers,
Mike

#8 Mon, Nov 16, 2009 2:57 PM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier
Skis At: Not short enough
Foot Forward: Right

You're still going to be susceptible to injury no matter which binding system you use. If you're in the Fogmans, the release is consistent... that doesn't mean you can't get hurt though. Most of the hardshell systems also make it impossible for you to fall one foot in / one foot out, which is  safer than the rubber boot potential for that sort of fall. If you're using rubber boots, you definitely want both boots to fit similarly so that you don't get the one in / one out crash.

Leon - what's the update?

Board footer