Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Mon, Oct 19, 2009 3:20 AM

Essvar
Skis At: Dawn
Foot Forward: RFF

2009 O'Brien Bio Bindings

Does anyone use these?

I have yet to see anyone using these bindings (besides myself) They seem to offer exceptional support and comfort, however they do not release... EVER

This has proven to be good and bad... the good.... you can't hit yourself with the ski unless you get super bent. The bad... the binding breaks before your foot releases.

So my question... as a new skier should I keep running these or look at upgrading to a hard shell?

#2 Mon, Oct 19, 2009 2:41 PM

HO410
Skis At: Outlaw Lake
Foot Forward: Right

Re: 2009 O'Brien Bio Bindings

There's no simple answer, you need to evaluate your needs.
The questions that I would be asking are:

Does your ski feel twitchy? Do you find yourself breaking at the waist coming off the second wakes? Does the ski ever do things that you do not expect? Softer boots like Animals or Wiley's will allow for more variation in your technique without directly transferring this to your ski. If your technique is not refined enough even stiffer boots, like Fogman or Reflex, could put up a wall that artificially makes skiing much harder than it needs to be.

Personally, I would not recommend boots that are expected to be non-release to all but the most experienced skiers that know what they need and are willing to accept the risks. Everyone crashes. Experienced skiers crash less than beginners: partly because the are just better, but mostly because they know when to get out. Keeping the ski with you, when you probably should be chucked clear, is not something anyone should be doing with regularity.

#3 Thu, Oct 22, 2009 2:53 AM

Kent W

I decided to go with these bindings when I purchased a new Sixam SS this summer. They are very comfortable and do offer great support but, you are right, you cannot get out of them. I am an experienced skier, but I'm not sure ripping my knees apart in the event of a bad crash is a risk I want to continue to take...I'm considering going to a releasable hard shell for next season. The bindings are awesome...just don't crash! Definetely suited for the more advanced skier who can somewhat control a fall...

#4 Thu, Oct 22, 2009 6:05 PM

Essvar
Skis At: Dawn
Foot Forward: RFF

I'm going to stick with them.... continue to crash and probably have a spare rear boot for when this one breaks too smile    After crashing a few times lately with a RTP I actually prefer to keep the ski with me, it seems to help keep all my body parts aligned smile

#5 Thu, Oct 22, 2009 11:53 PM

jmarsch18
Skis At: Shakopee
Foot Forward: Left

I've been skiing on these since April of this season and love them.  The only problem I have is the rear binding continues to rip along the heel.  O'Brien has sent me three new bindings this summer.  Very frustrating when you find equipment you like and it does not hold up.

#6 Fri, Oct 23, 2009 2:43 AM

HO410
Skis At: Outlaw Lake
Foot Forward: Right

I know that people were having issues with the Connelly Drafts the first year they
were in production. To my knowledge, Connelly stood behind every broken boot, and
the redesign for year two was much more robust. After the black Drafts came out, I do
not recall hearing about any of them break, but then again they also weren't the "It"
boot in their second year.

Board footer