Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#26 Mon, Oct 19, 2009 6:25 AM

H20SkiGirl
Skis At: Pulligan Pond
Foot Forward: Left

Re: Who's Still Skiing?

Well Wade we skied our last 2 tournament for the year in Arizona...  3 rounds yesterday at Santan and today 3 rounds at Buchli Lake!!!   I ran my 1st 32 off in a tourney and the hubby ran his 1st ever 38 in a tourney...  We are pretty excited and usually this would be the end of the season but we are not sure now:) it was 100 + both days (records for AZ) and the water was soooo warm between 75 and 80....

Observe, Listen, Learn, Share and Grow, but most of all have fun~

#27 Mon, Oct 19, 2009 11:10 AM

Chef23

I gave it up when we dropped below 110* total.  I don't have a drysuit so that was never an option but I do have a full wetsuit and wore that a couple of times.  Until it dropped below 120 I was still skiing in a long sleeve top and a bathing suit.  I hate the full suit.

#28 Mon, Oct 19, 2009 11:45 AM

vonny
Foot Forward: left

Last ski in a wet suit on Sat. Water 57* air 45* in sun. Forgot I owned a drysuit!!

#29 Thu, Oct 22, 2009 1:58 AM

ScotChipman
Foot Forward: Right

I was also in AZ skiing in tournaments over the weekend with H2OSkiGirl. I like her husband ran my first tournament 38' in my life. Like MChilcutt said our water in Utah is in the 50's, I will ski on 50+ degree air days when I'm off work the rest of this month and next, very few of those days left.

Scot Chipman

#30 Thu, Oct 22, 2009 12:58 PM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage
Skis At: Old Hickory Lake, TN.

yesterday, 1st set in 3 wks! Combined temps are now down 25- 30 deg's since then. But, still @ 63/65 +/-

Last edited by h20dawg79 (Thu, Oct 22, 2009 12:59 PM)

"Warning" -the Surgeon General has determined; That the preceding statements accurately reflect the views and opinions consistent with "DSS" (Delusional Slalomitis Syndrome) a highly contagious life altering condition... (Handle with Extreme care & Patience)

#31 Thu, Oct 22, 2009 1:08 PM

Deke
Skis At: 15/34

h20dawg79 wrote:

yesterday, 1st set in 3 wks! Combined temps are now down 25- 30 deg's since then. But, still @ 63/65 +/-

Balmy!

#32 Fri, Oct 23, 2009 2:11 AM

Digger
Skis At: Steilacoom Lake

Up in the Seattle WA area, ski year round. Our "Man rules" state that no dry suit until Nov 1 and only until April 30. Water is at 60 right now and headed down. Lowest water is usually around 42 and our air temp minimum to ski is 38, brain freeze under that. Our best days are the trifecta - rip it up on the lake in the am, hit the golf course for 18 and then hit the slopes for some night skiing and a few cold ones. Actually like the "off season", NO BAYLINERS!

Ski hard or save the gas

#33 Fri, Oct 23, 2009 3:31 AM

AndrewBernhagen
Skis At: 0.5 @ 35 off, 36 mph
Foot Forward: LFF

I like the sounds of your trifecta, Digger.  And so far, I think we may have the coldest so far?   I had a 35 air and 40 water a couple of weeks ago, and you've got a 42 water and 38 air.  It's this time of the year that I really start to get jealous of everyone that lives in Florida...

"A bad day on the water is a good day."  -Mike Yankaitis

#34 Fri, Oct 23, 2009 8:09 PM

lcarnes

Still skiing on Lake Lure...water low 60's and air 55-65.  Not bad at all, except there are too many people out who agree, so we're dodging boats and a dive barge.

What does it take to qualify for one of those cold stickers?

#35 Sun, Oct 25, 2009 9:33 PM

leftfootforward

Just got off the lake. 80 degree air temp and 72 degree water.  Sad to say that everyone in the boat wore a shorty. What can I say, we arent very tough in Phoenix.

#36 Sun, Oct 25, 2009 9:49 PM

davemac
Foot Forward: RFF

leftfootforward wrote:

Just got off the lake. 80 degree air temp and 72 degree water.  Sad to say that everyone in the boat wore a shorty. What can I say, we arent very tough in Phoenix.

Shorties?? The conditions you described were about the "peak" this year in New England.  Everything is relative I guess.

#37 Sun, Oct 25, 2009 10:42 PM

MattP
Skis At: Searching

I broke out the dry suit this week....

Looking for a place to ski near Kennesaw, Ga.
-MattP

#38 Sun, Oct 25, 2009 11:02 PM

T-UP

Just got my first pass in on my new 65.5” Elite (15 MPH wind) and new RS-1 bindings (I’ve always used rubber), skied just has well as I do on my 09 RCX. Little windy, cold, wetsuit, new ski and new bindings i'm happy.

#39 Sun, Oct 25, 2009 11:57 PM

MattP

How did you like the elite? I am looking at getting a 65.5

-MattP

#40 Sun, Nov 1, 2009 4:50 PM

ScotChipman

I skied two set on Saturday on Utah Lake. Water was 44-45 and the air was 45-50. Only 10 sets behind H2OSkiGirl for second place!

Scot Chipman

#41 Sun, Nov 1, 2009 11:02 PM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier
Skis At: Not short enough

Scot are you going to get 10 in? Sounds like it's pushing the limit on the weather.

I've been skiing a little bit myself... rolled over to Palm Bay @ Stillwater Lakes today... last tournament of the year. Parrish had a couple 41s he should have got through. It was pretty hot! Temperatures over 90 degrees. The weather was really nice the last two days.

#42 Mon, Nov 2, 2009 12:23 AM

2gofaster

It was 78 today, not a cloud in the sky, 68 degree water, and a new pb.

Shane Hill

#43 Mon, Nov 2, 2009 1:10 AM

MattP

Anyone
~~@ what temp do you start using a wet suit and what temp for a drysuit

-MattP

#44 Mon, Nov 2, 2009 1:25 AM

2gofaster

I'm in a 2mm wetsuit top now. I'm a sissy. LOL

Shane Hill

#45 Mon, Nov 2, 2009 5:18 AM

condi74
Skis At: Bonney's Ski Park
Foot Forward: right

Galejan wrote:

I went skiing today and the temp. was 5*C in the air and 7,2*C in the water,you can count for yourself and see that its lower than 98*F komb. And only wetsuit,my fingers was screaming after a while,someone who have any tip how to keep the hands warm and still have the feeling in the handle.

We are moving into the warm weather here in Australia, during the winter we skied in wetsuits down to about 80-85'f combined, the trick with keeping your hands warm is to get some hot water and put it in an esky (cooler in your speak I think) then your gloves sit in hot / warm water between sets... nice and warm when you put them on and you don't get that real chill for the first couple of passes at least.

#46 Mon, Nov 2, 2009 5:17 PM

ScotChipman

I use a 1.5mm top when the water is 70+, shorty dry suit (basically a dry top with 2mm neo shorts) when the water is in the 60s, full baggy dry suit when the water is below 60.

Scot Chipman

#47 Mon, Nov 2, 2009 7:50 PM

SC_swerve
Skis At: Lake Murray

Planning to ski tomorrow. Water is 67 air should be around 70. Will likely use a wet suit top. Lack of daylight is the biggest hindrance to skiing, now.

#48 Mon, Nov 2, 2009 9:21 PM

mbskier

Skied Fri, Sat, Sun at Rainier Lake in WA.  Very pleasent.  Had to plan around the Saturday rain.  Sunday was amazing.  Blue skies in WA.  Mt Rainier in the back ground with new snow on it.  The air temp was mid 50's.  Water temp is 52 degrees.  Used a dry suit all three days.

#49 Tue, Nov 3, 2009 3:40 AM

wdnrbll
Foot Forward: right

I'm going on Wednesday here in Salem, Or. Water around 60 and air a balmy 65. We usually just use a 2mm shorty with no problems.

#50 Tue, Nov 3, 2009 8:34 AM

Galejan
Skis At: Tunsättersjön

Last skiing was yesterday,wery windy conditions(10-15m/s)but the waves where only a few cm high(thats the best with our lake),temp in water 43*F(6*C) and 41*F(5*C) in the air(cooler in the wind),not nice for the face when going against the wind.

I use a 2/3mm wetsuit(full) and a 0,5mm short john under,works good for me,still it is the hands that is the tricky part.
Nitrils under works for a while and we have warm water for the gloves and the bindings,another tip to get the gloves warm is to put them on tha risers for a while.
If you need to get warm fast during a pass,get up in the boat and open the enginehood a hug the engine(when shut off),all method are ok in this sport,or?
This saturday we have our last tournament,called YMER after a Swedish icebreaker ship,then the boat goes up for this season :-((

Board footer