Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Fri, Oct 16, 2009 5:26 PM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier
Skis At: Not short enough
Foot Forward: Right

Who's Still Skiing?

Scot I see your name up on the most recent sets board -- it's got to be getting cold out that way in Utah!
Frank - where are you skiing at?
Leon - Glad to see you're getting out there.

Who's pushing themselves into the coldest weather this year? My best is combined 98 degrees water and air, and I don't plan on doing that again any time soon!

#2 Fri, Oct 16, 2009 5:37 PM

2gofaster

Re: Who's Still Skiing?

Haven't been able to ski in two weeks thanks to the damn rain on the Texas gulf coast. It's clear, sunny, and highs in the mid 70s this weekend so I'm down like a clown for some skiing. Gonna drive the Texas State ski team this weekend with my new boat so they have ZO to practice behind before collegiate nationals. 

98 combined is just plain ridiculous! I'm bitching about 150 combined! lol

Shane Hill

#3 Fri, Oct 16, 2009 5:45 PM

alski
Skis At: Twin Lakes

Here in NY, we've had some bad luck with the weather this week.  Snowed yesterday, which is unheard of around here in October.  The plan is to pull the course this Sunday, so I'm hoping to get one last set before it comes out.  Forecast calls for high temp around 43 and mix of rain/snow.  Water temp is at 48.  Should be fun.

#4 Fri, Oct 16, 2009 5:49 PM

ToddF
Skis At: mudhole
Foot Forward: right

We got a cold spell with rain and cruddy weather, but today it is suppose to be 70 so we are going to hit it.  Then water is probably 40 though.  Hopefully tomorrow as well,

Todd

#5 Fri, Oct 16, 2009 5:49 PM

snow1122
Foot Forward: Left

Hi Wade,

Still skiing in S. Cali, expecting 93 today:o)
We're in between snow skiing one weekend and water skiing the next....
Our resort Mammoth Lakes opened today........

Snow

#6 Fri, Oct 16, 2009 5:58 PM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier

Rad. I'm heading back down to Florida from Milwaukee on Monday afternoon... looking forward to getting some skiing in with some slightly warmer conditions.

I'll mail a ProSkiCoach.com sticker to anyone who skis at or below a combined 98 degree lake/air temperature without a dry suit! If you get hypothermia it don't count though, so keep it safe.

#7 Fri, Oct 16, 2009 6:29 PM

frank
Skis At: Champions Lake Clermont, FL

Wade, Sorry for the delayed response. I'm lucky enough to live and ski on Champions Lake in Clermont, it's the lake Swiss sold off a few years ago.  I've been here 3 years, but 2009 is 1st full year skiing since hip replacement. Thanks for a great site, the ski log has been very helpful.

#8 Fri, Oct 16, 2009 6:48 PM

snow1122

Without a dry suit?? that's not right..........last weekend I pulled the dry suit out of storage and used it.......chicken here...........lol........
Been from Brazil I can't get used to the cold water............burrr.........
But, stickers...........ok, you got me convinced.........pictures coming..........soon...

Snow

#9 Fri, Oct 16, 2009 7:14 PM

Jim5

Like Shane said, we're still doing a combined 150-160 here, but the suits are hanging in the boat house ready for when that water temp plummets all the way down to 70...we've been blessed with a warm October the opposite of NY's early snow, so our lakes are still 78-80 deg. But we're getting rusty here with all the rain.

#10 Fri, Oct 16, 2009 7:34 PM

AndrewBernhagen
Skis At: 0.5 @ 35 off, 36 mph
Foot Forward: LFF

I'm still out skiing.  I went out and did a barefooting set this morning with about 35 degree air and I'm guessing about 50 degree water, maybe a little cooler.  I took a set a couple of weeks back at a private lake a little north of Madison and we had 40 degree water and 35 degree air.  I rocked it with on wetsuit, heater shirt, or dry suit.  I also had to help take out the slalom course afterwards, but at least I got to borrow a jump suit so I could help somewhat.  I'm going home this weekend to do some barefooting and some slaloming (most likely without the course sad ) but I think it's about time to actually pull out the drysuit.

WadeWilliams wrote:

Rad. I'm heading back down to Florida from Milwaukee on Monday afternoon... looking forward to getting some skiing in with some slightly warmer conditions.

I'll mail a ProSkiCoach.com sticker to anyone who skis at or below a combined 98 degree lake/air temperature without a dry suit! If you get hypothermia it don't count though, so keep it safe.

I want one!  I've taken about 6 or 7 sets this year below that!

This picture is from 2006, but it's the only I've got that actually shows the snow on the shoreline.  Every year I take a non-drysuit run around my birthday (November 12) in central WI.  It's usually so cold that when I try to do my back deep, the cold water puts so much pressure on my lungs that I can't even take a breath when I turn over.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/berndawg3/4017688390/

Last edited by berndawg3 (Fri, Oct 16, 2009 7:39 PM)

"A bad day on the water is a good day."  -Mike Yankaitis

#11 Fri, Oct 16, 2009 7:50 PM

StevenHaines
Slalom Mentor
Skis At: Canyon Lake, Ca.

We're still skiing in SoCal! Water temp is around 70 and we're expecting highs in the upper 80's to low 90's. We're no where near as tuff as Berndawg down here! That boy deserves a sticker! I'm skiing in shorts an top still, but we'll have some guys in full wetsuits and drysuits pretty soon if not already! Pretty wimpy huh?! I usually make it down to 54 degree water in a shorty. That's the best I can do, my legs start to cramp up and I hate drysuits!

#12 Fri, Oct 16, 2009 7:59 PM

skibuddy
Skis At:
Foot Forward: RFF

Last weekend in Ala.:  74 degree air/72 degree water
This weekend in Ala.:  39 degree air(low)/ 69 degree water 15 mph winds
maybe next week.....

#13 Fri, Oct 16, 2009 8:05 PM

ToddF

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/16777367

This is where I am heading today.  It's ten minutes from home.  I don't think it will look like that today though.

#14 Fri, Oct 16, 2009 9:12 PM

miski
Skis At: Jepawhit, Lyons, SkiTec

I skied Tuesday 49/53 (w/ dry suit)...  (I loged my set but didn't show up on the recent sets board that I could tell)

Plan to free ski Sunday on public lake I grew up on and then maybe one more time Monday at the one club who still has buoys in.

I'll let you know if I get below 98 combined even if I won't rate a sticker w/ the cold water gear on!

#15 Sat, Oct 17, 2009 1:23 AM

Skiboy
Skis At: Pigeon Lake @ Ski Tek

Hey Wade, Like  i said, lake temp 48 degrees and air temp 48, i think that qualifies for the sticker, LOL

Skiing Finatic Once Again

#16 Sat, Oct 17, 2009 1:24 AM

Skiboy
Skis At: Pigeon Lake @ Ski Tek

and just a wet suit, we are tuff up here in  Canada

Skiing Finatic Once Again

#17 Sat, Oct 17, 2009 10:45 PM

Galejan
Skis At: Tunsättersjön
Foot Forward: left

I went skiing today and the temp. was 5*C in the air and 7,2*C in the water,you can count for yourself and see that its lower than 98*F komb. And only wetsuit,my fingers was screaming after a while,someone who have any tip how to keep the hands warm and still have the feeling in the handle.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1 … 1673635447

It would be nice to recive one of those stickers......

#18 Sat, Oct 17, 2009 11:31 PM

Thomas Wayne

You can slow down the onset of cold hands by wearing nitrile surgical gloves under your regular ski gloves.  These are the kind we use:

http://www.medicalexamglove.com/kc_purple_glove.html

Eventually they'll get cold due to heat loss, but initially the thin nitrile layer keeps your hands dry, which goes a long way toward retaining their warmth.

TW

#19 Sun, Oct 18, 2009 12:04 AM

davemac
Foot Forward: RFF

Great tip, TW!!  Ironically, I just ordered digital calipers (from harborfreight) and added on a box of nitrile gloves at the last second.  I intended them for painting, oil changes, etc; but will now throw a bunch into the ski gear bag.   Thanks for the "hedzup"

#20 Sun, Oct 18, 2009 1:30 AM

ToddF

Another thing that works is glove liners.  I use the knit lightweight running gloves, they work well. I use them in the summer as well my hands don't get sore or calussed at all.

I use a seal sock on my back foot it is water proof and keeps the feet toasty.

Todd

#21 Sun, Oct 18, 2009 4:06 PM

MChilcutt
Skis At: Utah Lake

We skied utah lake yesterday air 70 water 57. Bad thing is my lower back is junk and i think im done for the year.

MC

#22 Sun, Oct 18, 2009 5:57 PM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier

Thomas Wayne wrote:

You can slow down the onset of cold hands by wearing nitrile surgical gloves under your regular ski gloves.  These are the kind we use:

http://www.medicalexamglove.com/kc_purple_glove.html

Eventually they'll get cold due to heat loss, but initially the thin nitrile layer keeps your hands dry, which goes a long way toward retaining their warmth.

TW

Cool! Never thought of that one!

Anyone who is deserving of the "Cold-Proofed" PSC sticker drop me an email with your address and I'll get one out to you!

#23 Sun, Oct 18, 2009 8:08 PM

Galejan
Skis At: Tunsättersjön
Foot Forward: left

Been out skiing today(8*C in the air and 7,5*Ci in the water) and i tested the tip with nitrilgloves,and it worked wery well,it was only in the last  rounds that my hands started to scream at me .The reason was that i didnt get it tight(sealed)enough so it was water inside the nitrils. Great tip,you dont get warmer but then you dont get colder so fast either.

#24 Mon, Oct 19, 2009 3:51 AM

Garn
Skis At: Utah Lake

I would love a proskicoach sticker.... but not that bad!  When the water is in the 50s, I'm in a drysuit!  Would still like a sticker though!

Garn

#25 Mon, Oct 19, 2009 4:20 AM

Thomas Wayne

Our last round of the season, on Sept 26th (4 of us skied), it was water 42*, air 44*.  Last year (fall) we were talking about changing our 100-degree rule to a "110-degree rule", but instead this fall we lowered it to "the 90-degree rule", and then we violated that!  We wore drysuits, a neoprene hood, snow-ski goggles and nitrile glove liners - 3 of us have RS-1 bindings, which helped a little with the feet.

It that doesn't qualify as cold-blooded skiing I don't know what does...

TW

Board footer