Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Mon, Oct 12, 2009 1:58 PM

Jeff_kurtz

Carbon Fiber or not?

I keep hearing that carbon fiber skis while being really good also have the tendency to break and not last as long.   Rumor has it you don't want to leave them out in the sun as much and their product life is not as long.  Any truth to these accusations?

The reason I ask is I am looking at purchasing a new ski.  Right now skis on my list are the HO S1, Connelly F1, D3 Nomad and Radar RS1 to start with.

#2 Mon, Oct 12, 2009 2:13 PM

miski
Skis At: Jepawhit, Lyons, SkiTec
Foot Forward: Left

Re: Carbon Fiber or not?

Jeff - Any composite will break down in the sun if the resin matrix is exposed. It doesn't matter if the fibers are carbon, glass, kevlar or something else, it is the resin that loses it's material properties.

As far as coming apart from the loading of skiing, it depends on how stiff the ski is and how much it flexes (strains). Carbon is stiffer, so you can use less material and still achieve a durable ski. You could match it with glass, but it would be heavier. The skis that come apart are likely pushing the limit for the loads of whoever is skiing on it. Also, I don't know for sure, but I think a less capable strong skier yanking right off the buoy can load a ski as much as the open guys do...

Board footer