Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Fri, Oct 9, 2009 8:46 PM

Thomas Wayne

Driving and Coaching Simultaneously

I'd be most interested in knowing about [ski schools] where the coach ISN'T also the boat driver.  I've seen so many pro coaches who are the only one in the boat, and I have to wonder how anyone can get good coaching from  the driver, no matter how good a coach he is. 

Sometimes I wonder if the answer isn't to make sure you bring along a good driver, so the coach can devote his entire attention to what you're doing back there.

TW

Last edited by Thomas Wayne (Fri, Oct 9, 2009 8:46 PM)

#2 Sat, Oct 10, 2009 2:02 AM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier
Skis At: Not short enough
Foot Forward: Right

Re: Driving and Coaching Simultaneously

Thomas Wayne wrote:

I have to wonder how anyone can get good coaching from the driver, no matter how good a coach he is.

I know it may seem like an insurmountable task to be an extremely successful coach while driving at the same time, but I think the big misunderstanding is how important driving really is. As a driver and coach, your ability to understand exactly what the skier is doing actually increases (with lots and lots of practice). Your sense of touch as a driver needs to be much further ahead of the speed of light. Ask anyone who has driven full passes at 41 off and they'll tell you that anticipating where the skier is before they get there is the only way to be successful. The most successful driver/coaches are the ones that have thousands of hours behind the wheel, in addition to hundreds and hundreds of hours facing the other direction. When you're on this level as a driver and coach, your sense of touch on the wheel and through the seat of your pants can actually help a lot more than just simple eye sight.

Dont get me wrong, having a great coach's eyes on you is certainly a big help, too, but don't sell a coach short just because they're facing the other direction.

#3 Sat, Oct 10, 2009 4:53 AM

Thomas Wayne

WadeWilliams wrote:

[...]

Dont get me wrong, having a great coach's eyes on you is certainly a big help, too, but don't sell a coach short just because they're facing the other direction.

Of course I realize that an experienced driver has a very good sense of how a skier is doing in a pass; I drive for several different guys and I can instantly tell if my skier is running a late line, or loading right off the ball, or (via the mirror) hunching through the wakes, or any number of other subtle indications that one can feel/sense as a driver.

But you're going to have some difficulty convincing me that any given [skilled] coach will not see more when he's sitting in the passenger seat.  At $75 - $125 per set I think I'd rather have my coach's FULL attention.  Call me silly.

So my question remains: who might be some of the well-respected coaches who have someone else drive the boat so that he/she can commit 100% focus on the customer... er, I mean, skier?  "Cause that's who I'm looking to hire...

TW

Last edited by Thomas Wayne (Sat, Oct 10, 2009 7:13 AM)

#4 Sat, Oct 10, 2009 11:35 AM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier

Tdub wrote:

But you're going to have some difficulty convincing me that any given [skilled] coach will not see more when he's sitting in the passenger seat.  At $75 - $125 per set I think I'd rather have my coach's FULL attention.  Call me silly.

not trying to convince you that the coach would be able to see more by not looking at you. I agree it is significantly easier to just be lazy and watch the skier. Driving and coaching at the same time requires about three to five times higher concentration. So, there is actually more focus on the skier this way. I'm not saying that everyone can do it. It's certainly exhausting to produce results in this model. 

Ps where are you paying $125 a set?!? I'm gonna go work there!

#5 Sat, Oct 10, 2009 2:44 PM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier

This topic split from Florida Skiing

Thomas, grea point you are tryin to make -- in order not to cause tumult, I've moved it to it's own topic.

In the future when you have so much to say about somethig other than the original topic (places to ski in florida, versus what coaches can drive and coach at the same time) please start your own topic.

You're obviously a really intellegent guy-- please think twice before posting. (A good general rule is if you have a new question, you should start a new thread, rather than posting under someone else's question.) this way the rest of our community's questions won't get lost in the mix.

I'm taking way too much of my time to split these topics apart. So for now you have lost the privelage to edit your posts. Be sure to proof read in the future, post on topic, and you'll be off probation in no time.

Thanks for adding value to our community!

#6 Sat, Oct 10, 2009 5:25 PM

Thomas Wayne

1) Actually, Wade, I often write several iterations of a post before submitting it - so I ultimately do more than “think twice” before posting.  For example, I first wrote this post in Word, and revised it six or seven times before bringing it into the forum.

2) The original topic was about finding off-season skiing and coaching in Florida, and the original poster specifically asked for:

“[...] any advice as to where I should go to ski as far as price, environment, coaching etc would be appreciated.[…]”

I'm also interested in off-season coaching in Florida, and I have this one additional coaching quality I'd like to find (a coach who devotes his entire attention to the skier).  I've never been very good at splitting hairs, but I'm having a hard time seeing how my input was  - in any way - "off topic", and I don't see how you can consider this a "new question"

3) Just so I understand your position, are you saying that the coach who drives the boat [in the slalom course] while coaching is the BETTER coach, while the coach who has a separate person driving is actually taking the easy way out and is simply "lazy"?  Is it your position that the best coaching comes from someone who coaches and drives at the same time?

4) It's your forum, and you can swing your stick wherever (and at whomever you want to), but putting me "on probation" for simply seeing things differently than you seems a little harsh.  No great wisdom or understanding was ever arrived at without a little respectful debate, but it's hard to have much diversity in a discussion if one has to constantly fear repercussions for simply disagreeing with management.

TW

#7 Sat, Oct 10, 2009 7:53 PM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier

Your right, it is harsh, and I'm sorry.

I anyone else has something to add to this discussion please feel free.

#8 Sat, Oct 10, 2009 7:55 PM

miski
Skis At: Jepawhit, Lyons, SkiTec
Foot Forward: Left

A few random comments on driving/observing/coaching:

I have had the same concerns as Thomas in the past, and have definitely wished at times whoever was helping me at the time could observe instead of drive. That said, the first time I skied w/ WW at SkiTec, I was amazed at how much feedback about my skiing he provided from the driver’s seat, and how right on the suggestions were for what to work on next. I have been very happy w/ the gains I have made from WW coaching from the driver’s seat.

This summer, WW came and coached in MI. For me and some of the other guys he observed for several sets and then drove  for several sets because he wanted to feel the skier – he actually went back & forth between seats over the course of 3 days. While WW was observing and I was driving, I got some really great tips on driving. I think the other guys driving got some of the same.

I think some of the big-picture concepts that WW has drilled me on may be best evaluated by the feel from the drivers seat. Maybe the more detailed items on specific moves etc. are not as easy for a driving coach to observe and evaluate, but I've gotten some feedback and direction on specific details that were impressively accurate from the person in the driver’s seat.

Last - big mirrors – why don’t more people use the bigger mirrors?

#9 Sat, Oct 10, 2009 8:03 PM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier

Big mirrors are pretty sweet. For me, having one mirror pointing straight back is enough. I've driven some boats with multiple mirrors, which are nice, but I find it harder to drive down the middle whenthe mirror is pointed anywhere but straight backwards. It's amazing how important seeing the centerline of the course is.

So the keys to simultaneous driving and coaching are:

1) lots of hours coaching
2) lots of hours driving
3) an extremely good understanding of technique
4) excellent anticipation / feel
5) extremely high concentration.

When I mentioned being lazy by just observing the skier, my point is that for me it is significantly easier -- by a lot -- to just sit there and watch. It's the equivalent of riding a beach crusier bike on a paved path versus downhill mountain biking through extremely technical terrain. The guy with the beachcrusier might say it's impossible to ride a bike down terrain lie that - and for him, he's probably right.

#10 Sat, Oct 10, 2009 8:49 PM

Thomas Wayne

WadeWilliams wrote:

[...]

Ps where are you paying $125 a set?!? I'm gonna go work there!

Um, actually, that was a bit conservative.  When I travel to Florida (S.C., TX, or wherever) for ski coaching I have no interest in seeing Disney World or GatorLand or whatever.  It's not a vacation.  I come for off-season immersion in water skiing and that's it.  The only things I'm interested in besides skiing is decent lodging and a gym I can get into on a walk-in basis.  I want the freedom of my own transportation so I also rent a car.

This winter I hope to come down for a couple of quick coaching trips (3 - 4 days on the water), and we're also going on a real vacation to St. Maarten in Feb, so that will add ~ another week of skiing.  On the short trips I'll expect to ski 8 - 10 sets, and when I add up airfare, car rental, lodging and food, and divide it by ski time my coaching exceeds a cost of $200 per set(!)

At those prices I want my coach's undivided attention, and I'm even willing to pay a little extra for a driver.  Out of those 8 - 10 sets if the coach wants to drive 3 of them I guess I'd be okay with that - but it would be for the sake of courtesy, not because I think it's better feedback.

And, as always, that's merely my opinion.

Most importantly to me, since I'm shopping for coaching sites, I'd be interested in knowing which coaches will primarily sit in the passenger seat when I'm on the water.  Does anyone have any feedback on that?

TW

#11 Sat, Oct 10, 2009 9:42 PM

ToddF
Skis At: mudhole
Foot Forward: right

Two thoughts:

What about the trakker/video, how many schools use that as a tool.  Long ago I used to pole vault and do the decathlon, (Side note:  it is amazing the similarities between pole vaulting and water skiing)  and we would video practices/meets not all, but crucial ones when trying to improve/change on a technique. 

No matter what it is one of the best tools for improving is seeing what you are doing while you have your coach breaking down the key points.  Especially the following practice/set/jump/etc.  At that point your coach can use key words that will cause a direct link. (Link is a highly technical term in this case). 

I do agree with Wade on the experienced or master skier/athlete/coach,  they have been so immersed in their sport and have such an indepth knowledge or mastery of their sport they can spot key things easily, they can slow down the event and play it back in their mind.  At many times a good coach can see a small portion of the event and correctly diagnose all of the technical flaws that the athlete is exhibiting.

And where in the heck is there any downhill in Florida?

#12 Sat, Oct 10, 2009 10:13 PM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier

Mostly the downhill ain't in FL wink

I keep my Trakker, camera, and computer in my car, everytime I go to the lake... so I can video and do review right then and there (after driving and coaching smile)

As far as where you can find a coach with a driver... I'd say anywhere. Just be sure to ask when you make your reservation. Most places are super accomodating to client's requests.

#13 Sun, Oct 11, 2009 11:06 PM

iowaskiiier

the first time i received a lesson from a pro, (rossi), about 8 yrs ago, i questioned that he didn't have a driver too.  after about 1 set, (maybe even 1 pass!), i was FULLY convinced he didn't need a driver..... i think he knew more about how i felt at every buoy than i did myself!! it was truly amazing... and to this day, it hasn't changed... rossi, wade W., rini,....all of em, they just have a 6th sense from that driver's seat... since that first time, i've never ever questioned the need for having a separate driver again... at least these 3, i know for sure, they don't need a driver... whenever i ski with them, it's amazing the "connection" they have with my skiing, they are always in tune with exactly what i'm doing...when i do something right or wrong, at one particular buoy/gate/wake, etc... they ALWAYS know exactly how i felt at that particular part of the course..  it blows my mind when we sit down at the end, and when i felt something really good/unique, etc., they know all about it already!! 

That being said...maybe there are some coaches that need a driver... but for the good coaches it doesn't appear so. 

Scott

#14 Sun, Oct 11, 2009 11:33 PM

Thomas Wayne

iowaskiiier wrote:

[...]
That being said...maybe there are some coaches that need a driver... but for the good coaches it doesn't appear so. 

Scott

On occasion I've been coached by pros who simultaneously drove and I've gotten great feedback.  I've also been coached by pros who didn't drive and have gotten virtually worthless advice.  In fact, here is an exact exchange I had with a very well-known retired Canadian pro skier turned coach (he had a driver):

[Coach] "You need to finish your turns more; you're not finishing your turns."

[TW] "Okay.  Um, how do I go about doing that?  I mean, what physical steps do I take to 'finish' my turns more?"

[Coach] "I don't know... just finish the turn more."

[TW]"Okay... uh, thanks.  Where do I pay...?"

This was at least 15 years ago, and several of us feel we got about the same value out of the event.  So obviously it's possible to get really bad coaching from a really good skier, even if he isn't driving the boat (this guy had been a world champion at one point).  We still joke about that particular coaching session.

In any event, I have yet to see anyone commit to the opinion that they would prefer that a coach be driving the boat.  I personally think it's physically impossible for someone driving the boat to devote as much attention to the skier's actions as someone sitting in the passenger seat. 

I'm not sure it's about the coach needing a driver; I don't doubt that skilled coaches can pick up a lot while driving.  But if I have the choice I will always want a separate driver - and since I'm the one paying the bill I'd have to think I DO have a choice.

TW

#15 Sun, Oct 11, 2009 11:46 PM

ScarletArrow
Skis At: Bellalago - Leavittsburg, Ohio

This is an interesting topic...

The only circumstance I can think of where I would prefer a coach to drive would be if a coach who did not drive had a tendency to over-coach in between passes. 

Coaches who also drive tend to keep it short and to the point, allowing the skiing to focus on one thing - which is about the most any of us can focus on changing for one set.

There have been times when I though a coach was trying to give me the encyclopedia on slalom skiing in between every pass...and while I got my money's worth in terms of knowledge (to be digested later), the productivity of the actual set would be lower.

FWIW...I've been coached by WW with both formats, Jodi Fisher while driving, Seth Stisher while observing.

Time to ski!

#16 Mon, Oct 12, 2009 12:20 AM

iowaskiiier

I personally would prefer to just let the coach do it the way he wants to... I'm pretty sure I'll get the best coaching by letting him make the call (drive and coach...or sit in observer seat).  Especially since I've been convinced they can drive and coach and still spot literally everything.    And from a financial standpoint, I understand that they probably don't want to hire a driver.... too much cost to add, which raises the rates, which most likely shrinks the pool of customers, which hurts thier "bottom line", drives them out of the biz, and now there's less coaches for you and I!!  You wouldn't think an extra $10/set would make a difference, but there's always a price breaking point for everyone.  And maybe it's more than $10/set??  Can't always just find "volunteer" drivers around - maybe sometimes - but not consistently, and/or there's probably liability/insurance concerns/costs as well.

#17 Mon, Oct 12, 2009 1:11 AM

ScarletArrow
Skis At: Bellalago - Leavittsburg, Ohio

well, for $60 a set, i'm going to let my preferences be known.

many sites have "interns" where the driver is a college student who gets to ski in lieu of driving for the coached sets.

i would think if you were an elite level skier, the choice would be hard...do you sacrifice driving for a well-attuned coach, or let the coach drive?

perhaps that's where you bring your own driver if the site would allow it.

Time to ski!

#18 Mon, Oct 12, 2009 12:33 PM

slam2ball
Foot Forward: RFF

Interesting topic, I do think there are a few people out there that could tell you exactly what you are doing right and wrong from just the feel of the boat. I know my regular driver/coach can do this..
Saying that: when you get to a high level of skiing the driver has to focus on keeping the boat straight. (??)
Ive been in the boat and the skier has asked what happened at “X”
“Dude I was just trying to keep the boat straight” If you have a hard, heavy skier I think having a copilot makes for a better job. The above scenario was at a very short setup with an older boat and someone that has been driving for about 3 years but skiing for close to 10 years.

Im used to having the 1 person in the boat , for some reason with another person in the boat it puts me off, inevitably driver & copilot talk and move about.. I start to think… “What are they talking about? I think I heard him say something about my knees?, maybe I need to bend them more, etc etc”
I always thought having a 2nd person in the boat is good, but having skied with some awesome driver/coaches I trust there judgment and 1 person is just fine.

(Then again there are some drivers I prefer over others, purely a trust thing though)

At the end of the day I think its more of a trust thing.. Having skied with a few guys im confident in there words and don’t have to worry.
I also wouldn’t go to a ski school and ski with someone I don’t know, or have heard good reports from.
I think when you have pulled enough people and got to an elite or high end level of skiing you can be an excellent coach and driver. for some of the guys id go so far as saying, if they don’t drive they have one less “sense” to give them feedback on your skiing.

#19 Mon, Oct 12, 2009 1:02 PM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage
Skis At: Old Hickory Lake, TN.
Foot Forward: left

I do like the idea of having a coach sitting in the passenger seat devoting all of his attention to me.

However, there are so many variables and conditions that might make this fesable for some skiers and/or coaches and financially impossible or even unbeneficial for others.

Speaking only for myself, my 1st priority would be to have a coach that I can relate to and who can relate to me. This is what will enable me to "See the advice" and direction clearly in my minds eye. This will build trust and replace any doubt with confidence. (Change is hard enough, if it came easily we wouldn't need to pay for help...) I also need affordability. I do not have the opportunity (with a sound mind anyway...) to spend an excessive amount per set. (especially when I'm also paying for flights, room, food and rental car, etc...)

A picure is worth 1000 words. So, along with clear directives in my minds eye, I also want Video to review in slow motion and in reg. motion 1000 times if neccessary. I also agree with S/A on the point, that We can only really only handle changing about 1 thing at a time. And before that 1 thing can begin to be a natural habit it will have to be ingrained with at least 21 consistant repetitions. (actually this should be spred out over 21 days...) WTS, I feel there's a cause and effect scenario with every aspect of Slalom and I want the coach who can best prioritize my short comings and turn me loose on the 1 or 2 things that will make the most improvement to my Domino, Snowball or cause & effect scenario... (managment, simply keeping the Horse in front of the buggy!)

Personally, if I can have those things "my way," Then I don't care where the coach sits. But, thats only what makes sense to me and for myself...

Regardless of personal preferences, the paying customer is always the Boss and should be treated as such... -In return, this is what builds the Greatest Advertising in the world;  Repeat and refferal (word of mouth) Business...smile

"Warning" -the Surgeon General has determined; That the preceding statements accurately reflect the views and opinions consistent with "DSS" (Delusional Slalomitis Syndrome) a highly contagious life altering condition... (Handle with Extreme care & Patience)

#20 Mon, Oct 12, 2009 2:51 PM

miski
Skis At: Jepawhit, Lyons, SkiTec

I’m adding to my previous post - I knew I had left something out, but my brain shut down and I hit Submit smile   

I would take a driving coach w/ video analysis over an observing coach w/o video any day.

Like several people mention, reviewing video with your coach is an incredible help.  I think it takes the learning process full cycle. Going through my video in the SkiTec rowdy room was super cool, although a little embarrassing at times smile - You never look as good as you feel on video, but that's not a reason to avoid it. I also got to ski w/ Jim Kilsdonk a lot this summer and use the Dartfish analysis software which was very cool.

When you see yourself skiing, and ID the specific moves/positions for work that the coach was talking about, it really sets you up for gains in the next set. And while you’re back at it, sometimes you feel like you're making the changes on the water, but when you watch the next set of clips you find the big change you felt is only 10% of what it needs to be. Other times it shows you why the coach had you working on something other than most obvious problem you were feeling – like some subtlety several seconds earlier in the pass that was causing the issue you were concerned with. It's also a big help when your back home trying to commit the things you learned permanently to your skiing.

Most important for me, video (and coaching) helped me figure out what was breaking down when I skied poorly. I would have a few great sets w/ a lot of progress, ski bad for the next 6-10 sets, then I would hit it again a few times, then back to junk. I wasn't learning anything and basically feel like I wasted 60-70% of my skiing this year. Finally in August w/ the combination of video, coaching, and just sticking w/ it, I figured out what my biggest breakdown was, and now feel like I can regularly have consistent sets and work towards gains.

#21 Wed, Oct 14, 2009 4:26 PM

buddy

Does SkiTek have video equipment now or do you have to bring your own?  Last time I was there was a couple years ago and there was no video, but another skier there had a buddy with a video camera so they were able to take video of each other and review it on a laptop between sets.  I was by myself, with no camera or videographer. sad

My lessons were great, but I think it would have added a lot to my lessons if Wade could sit with me and watch the video and give me some pointers.

Last edited by buddy (Wed, Oct 14, 2009 4:28 PM)

#22 Wed, Oct 14, 2009 7:44 PM

david38off
Slasher
Skis At: 34 mph
Foot Forward: left

I have been to ski schools where a seperate driver and coach were utilized, and to ski with Wade several times where he was driving the boat and coaching at the same time.  At least for me, I have received more valuable coaching and input on my waterskiing from Wade than from any other coach I have been with.  So there is a committment to Wade as a single coach (driving and coaching)!

With that said, if it were very important to me to have a coach who had a driver, I would recommend Arturo Nelson in Miami. I have only been to Miami one time for a three day weekend ski trip.  But I came away with a good opinion of his coaching.  He did have a driver there every day and I assume this is common practice for him.  So TW might want to consider Miami as a winter ski haven if this is impt to him.  I have also been to Swiss ski school in Clermont Fl (near Orlando), and have received coaching with and without a dedicated driver.  I am sure they would arrange for a driver if you expressed that as a concern. However I personally feel that Wade is a superior coach to any other option I have experienced.  With or without a driver.   Hope this is helpful to you.

#23 Thu, Oct 15, 2009 12:19 AM

Thomas Wayne

Well, so far I've discovered that Swiss Ski School offers a separate driver for $10/set extra and Seth Stisher "always" has a driver, so those two are on my short list...

I've also discovered that the total posted opinions on three separate forums heavily favor a preference for a separate driver, so at least I'm not alone in that.

TW

#24 Thu, Oct 15, 2009 4:33 PM

SethStisher
Foot Forward: Lefty

I've posted about this topic on other boards.  I am not a big fan of driving and coaching and I think in ways it leaves some guess work, but having read WAde's posts, I do concur that the feel is something that can come in handy.  I happen to think that it is maybe a good idea for a pass or two and not for the whole set, but each coach has his or her own way.  I don't do it much, but that's just me...I am a visual guy.  Yes, I can feel the effects of what a skier does based on the feel behind the wheel, but I feel as though I am guessing at the exact details of what they had done wrong.

There is no absolute answer.

Board footer