Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Fri, Oct 9, 2009 12:37 AM

MChilcutt
Skis At: Utah Lake
Foot Forward: Right

"Dust to Glory" a must see

Have you been to the Baja 1000?
This is not waterski related but if you are an adrenaline junkie like myself you must check out this movie. It is called Dust to Glory. rent it watch it and let me know what you think. I grew up riding motocross and this movie rocks.
I would like to know what your favorite extreme sports movie is?
MC

#2 Fri, Oct 9, 2009 2:54 AM

tjo

Re: "Dust to Glory" a must see

I saw that movie a few years ago...very cool indeed! I second the recommendation.  I did not grow up riding motocross like you, but have been riding for the last 10 years or so.  Travis Pastrana and the Nitro Circus II is pretty cool also. 

As far as all-time favs though, I might have to go back 15-20 years to one of Warren Miller's older flicks.

Travis Ogden

#3 Mon, Oct 12, 2009 2:25 AM

MChilcutt

"Come on" some one out there who has a passion for extreme athletes in action needs to take some time and watch this movie. Then report back with your thoughts. Or at least tell us all what your favorite extreme sports movie is???

MC

#4 Mon, Oct 12, 2009 12:20 PM

2gofaster

That's an awesome movie. I'm a big offroad fan. I've a friend who crews for Robby Gordon. Been to Baja and Laughlin with em. Those trophy truck drivers are insane!

Shane Hill

#5 Mon, Oct 12, 2009 1:42 PM

MChilcutt

They are sick. That guy they call "mouse" in the movie who is the only one to ride his dirt bike the entire 1000 and places 6th out of all the other riders is a MAGNATE.
So you have spent time around the trophy trucks and drivers??
MC

#6 Mon, Oct 12, 2009 2:04 PM

miski
Skis At: Jepawhit, Lyons, SkiTec
Foot Forward: Left

I worked with Robbie for the 1st half of 2000. When we were racing in Vegas, he drove one of his pre-runners (2 yr old trophy truck made street legal) to the track and then took me for a ride out in the dessert at night....!!!   Off-road racing like Baja or Paris-Dakar is a very cool combination of equipment, physical fitness, and dangly bits - (w/ heavy emphasis on the bits!)

One analogy with slalom skiing does come to mind. Drivers who started in this form of racing and then moved on to other types (open-wheel, circle-track, etc.) have had mixed results. All have major skills, but the ones who really were successful off-road by being fearless have had a tough time with requirements for smoothness and subtlety. Many many times you tell drivers to “slow down to speed up” – which translates into driving easier and smoother and all of a sudden the laptimes go down. It’s just like my experience picking up slalom skiing again in the last two years – the first thing I had to figure out and am still figuring out is the balance between smooth calm moves and aggression.

MC - I'll look for that movie. I may have seen it already, but will get back to you after.

#7 Mon, Oct 12, 2009 7:13 PM

MChilcutt

Miski,
     Sounds like quit a ride!!! Did you have to clean your shorts out after the ride or knowing it war Gordon behind the wheel were you totally relaxed?? Must have been the smoothest off road ride you have ever experienced??

MC

#8 Mon, Oct 12, 2009 7:32 PM

2gofaster

Mastercraft is one of Robby Gordon Offroad's sponsors, too.  smile

Shane Hill

#9 Tue, Oct 13, 2009 1:47 AM

miski

The size of the things that we drove over w/o feeling them was the most impressive. The most disconcerting was driving on top of a ridge just getting out to the course - the truck was so tall that you couldn't see the ground from inside the cab, so it seemed like we were about ready to tumble off a 5 stories cliff. That and durring the drive back into town on the highway behind a civic that we could have gone right over the top of...

#10 Tue, Oct 13, 2009 3:59 AM

MChilcutt

That is sick im sure that is a night you won't forget. Anyone have a movie that is a must see. How about "Riding Giants" with Laird Hamilton getting towed into some of the biggest waves known to man???

MC

#11 Wed, Oct 14, 2009 2:03 AM

DW

Dust to Glory is a great movie.  I have had the opportunity to ride w/ both Robby and Baja Bob (his dad) and go over to Dakar for that race.  Robby is amazingly smooth and pretty damn fast to boot!   When you can count on several fingers before you land, you know you got serious air.  If you have not had the opportunity to experience off road racing, it is a must do.  Get to either Baja(and make sure to eat soft shell taco's at a local stand, they are the best) or just outside of Las Vegas on I15, the small town of Primm hosts a few races every year.  Laughlin is also good, they do the Laughlin leap every year, Robby won it last year at 142' in length. You can get right up to the action, lots of YouTube videos out there to verify all the insanity.

#12 Wed, Oct 14, 2009 2:21 PM

MChilcutt

Sweet thanks DW i may have to get down south and check it out.

MC

#13 Wed, Oct 14, 2009 8:01 PM

miski

DW - are you still skiing or done up here for the year? I went yesterday, then pulled the buoys. What a short cold Fall...

Board footer