Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Wed, Oct 7, 2009 11:35 PM

vplumme

Tips for Getting up on One Ski

Hi All,

I have a great desire to learn slalom.  I'm kinda scared about many things and one of them is balance, crossing the wake, but most important, deep water starts with both feet in the boots. 

I recently tried to get up and almost did, but gave up a second or two too soon as I was drowned with water.  I had my left foot forward, right foot back, ski rope on the left of the ski, the ski pointing at 11 o'clock, had my head looking at the top of the boat and my eyes at the back of the boat, told the driver to hit it, then got dragged like a dead animal through water.  How frustrating is that.

As for fear of the wake, I can cross without fear on double ski's, but I'm afraid I can't on a slalom.  I need help and motivation guys.  The weather is cold here and the boating season is off, I don't have any money to watch dvd's, and my work locks down the ability to watch video's on my break.

Can anyone offer any help.

Valentino

#2 Thu, Oct 8, 2009 12:44 AM

trichter12
Skis At:
Foot Forward: Left

Re: Tips for Getting up on One Ski

First, welcome to PSC, glad to see another member.  Learning one ski can be a bit tricky at first, especially going straight to a double boot.  If your finding it hard to balance left and right when you get up, it might help to try a ski with a rtp (rear toe plate).  This will let you drag your back foot for extra stability.  Another thing that might help is to lean back a little more than you would with two skis.  Being as there is less surface area on one ski than two combined, it will take longer to get up, and there will be more stain on the skier.  Once you get a feel for how it works, you will become much more consistent.  As for crossing the wakes, its not much different than two skis at your current level.  Take a few runs to get used to being on one ski and how it reacts.  After that, perhaps start going back and forth slowly and pick up the pace as you feel more comfortable.  Seeing as the season is soon to come to a close, I would just focus on getting used to the new dynamics of one ski, then hit it hard next year.  Most of all, have fun!

Travis

#3 Thu, Oct 8, 2009 12:58 AM

davemac
Foot Forward: RFF

You may want to consider getting one of those  "EZ Start" Slalom training handles that have a long "V" where you put the tip of the ski through.  This minimizes the skis ability to fall to one side or the other when getting up (one less thing for you to worry about). 
Once you have it mastered, you can always sell it to someone else.

#4 Thu, Oct 8, 2009 1:17 AM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage
Skis At: Old Hickory Lake, TN.
Foot Forward: left

davemac wrote:

You may want to consider getting one of those  "EZ Start" Slalom training handles that have a long "V" where you put the tip of the ski through.  This minimizes the skis ability to fall to one side or the other when getting up (one less thing for you to worry about). 
Once you have it mastered, you can always sell it to someone else.

Yes I absolutely 2nd this advice. I have 1 on the boat at all times and it can make all the difference in the world. I would also suggest using a ski with a little more surface area. (especailly at the tail end of the ski) This will make getting up a ton easier as well. I'm sure you'de like to just get up on the dbl. boot ski, but if it's not a wider ski then I would replace it temporarily with a wider ski to get the hang of it.

As far as body mechanics go; Hold your tuck position and KEEP YOUR ARMS STRAIGHT! The boat WILL pull you up. Do not try to help the boat by trying to get up or stand up too quickly. This part of skiing falls directly on the experience and teaching ability of the boat driver...

Wide ski + trainer handle= Mucho confidence and a Butt Load of Fun!!!smile

"Warning" -the Surgeon General has determined; That the preceding statements accurately reflect the views and opinions consistent with "DSS" (Delusional Slalomitis Syndrome) a highly contagious life altering condition... (Handle with Extreme care & Patience)

#5 Thu, Oct 8, 2009 1:22 AM

HO410
Skis At: Outlaw Lake
Foot Forward: Right

A little late to the party. Anyway, there's a lot that goes into waterskiing. Instead of focusing on all you will need to learn, take it one thing at a time. Just focus on getting up for now, then you can start to address other things. Sometimes it's helpful to remember that there was a time when everyone here (even Chris and Wade) couldn't get out of the water. I posted this over at the waterskimag forum. This seemed to be pretty helpful.

Here are a few things that will help you be successful

1. Have the driver slow down. Put the boat in gear; allowing the rope to come tight. Begin to engage the throttle,
as the bow begins to rise then you can engage the throttle the rest of the way and nearly as fast as you want.
You don't need all that gas at once and you need a moment align yourself.

2. Relax everything. Arm all the way out. Let the water push the ski into your body. Put
most of the lode on your skeleton instead of pushing off with your legs or pulling in with
your muscles. It's just easier to balance this way, and it's much less work.

3. Immediately start going in the direction of your front foot. For a left foot forward skier, you can
lean the ski a little to the left and get up on that edge. Sometimes this is a more stable way to get up.
Also make sure to keep your knees together. Too far apart and the water will force your legs apart and make you fall.
*I go to these when I fall getting up.

4. An extension of number 1. Don't be in a hurry. The ski can roll up on top
of the water and you can ski on down the lake while you are still squatting on
the ski, but it requires herculean strength to stand up before the ski is ready.

Getting drowned: after the boat goes in gear and begins to further engage the throttle,
I take a deep breath and close my eyes. It's not always necessary for me, but it's better than
getting a nose full of water. And most left foot skiers put the rope on the right side of the ski.

Last edited by HO 410 (Thu, Oct 8, 2009 1:25 AM)

#6 Thu, Oct 8, 2009 2:14 AM

AndrewBernhagen
Skis At: 0.5 @ 35 off, 36 mph
Foot Forward: LFF

I'm not sure if you have access to the boom, but I've taught an almost ridiculous number of people to get up on one ski going on the boom.  If you do have access, get up just holding onto the bar, then do it with a handle attached, and then finally try it long line.  The last 2 people I did this too got up their first try behind the boat.  Also, as HO410 said, don't be in hurry.  You need to keep your knees bent and arms straight.  The key is to let the boat pull you up, don't pull yourself up.  If you try and stand up to early, you will keep crashing out the front and drink more water than you're thirsty for.

"A bad day on the water is a good day."  -Mike Yankaitis

#7 Thu, Oct 8, 2009 1:42 PM

Deke
Skis At: 15/34

vplumme wrote:

I had my left foot forward, right foot back, ski rope on the left of the ski, the ski pointing at 11 o'clock

Valentino

There's the problem...  put the rope on the other side and you will be able to steer on the way out of the water.

#8 Thu, Oct 8, 2009 5:02 PM

snow1122

Valentino,

1-Yes, if you can get a boom that's the only way to go!We've teached even blind children to get up on the boom. Once you master that you're ready to go behind the boat. You'll get up on your first try!

2-The deep V handle is a must when trying to get up on a single ski as well. Master that first then go to a regular handle.

3-If you're left foot forward in my opinion the handle should be on your left side of your ski.

We're a family of four, all left foot forward skiers, three of us places the rope on the left side one of us on the right side.
Matter of personal choice, try both sides and see how you do.

Keep smiling and have fun.

Snow

#9 Thu, Oct 8, 2009 5:13 PM

HO410

snow,
Do it that way and you have a quasi trainer handle. There's nothing particularly wrong with that.
It could actually be very helpful. However, it has been my experience that skiers have more success
if they are free to bias their balance a shade to the direction of their front foot. Placing the rope on
the the same side as the front foot would effectively keep one from doing this

#10 Thu, Oct 8, 2009 5:54 PM

snow1122

Hi HO 410,

This is like a choice on how you hold the handle if you're a left foot forward, palms up or down?

When I went from skiing on two skis to a single ski with a deep V handle, I went to a ski school here in S. Cali, since I couldn't get up without the V handle, the first thing the instructor told me to do was to place the handle on the same side as my foot forward in my case left side. I got up on my first try!
As we teached our kids and friends we've done the same, not once  they did not get up after the boom with the rope as described above.
Another point is look closely when you're getting up and see how the ski acts, being a left foot forward the ski tends to bend to the left, with the rope there it keeps it straight.

But, again I believe is a matter of personal preference.My husband is a left foot forward and his rope is on the right side, he also drags his right foot behind when he gets up on his trick ski ( rudder). I'm unable to drag my back foot in any ski. I've to keep my two feet in all the time.

Try both ways and see what works best for you.

Snow

#11 Thu, Oct 8, 2009 8:23 PM

AndersonSkiTeam

Once you get the basic idea it is practice, practice, practice.  In a month you will wonder why you ever had problems.

I am LFF and have rope on Right hand side of the ski but have seen it both ways.  This seems most comfortable for me.  I find having both feet in the boot the ski tends to like to start slightly off center (the 11:00 position you mentioned) and then straightens out with the pull.  I find for most people this is the hard thing getting used to because they are fighting the direction of the ski.  It really does straighten out all on its own if you stay over top of the ski or in getting up staying behind the ski.  When you start to get pulled let your knees come all the way into your chest and don't try to stand to early.  It only feels like you are drowning the first few times and then gets easier.  I tuck my chin slightly allowing me to breathe when the water comes at you. 

Make sure to get some practice riding the ski.  The steadier you are on the ski the easier it is to get up.

I taught my son this summer to get up on 1 with both feet in and this seemed to work well.  I find girls usually have the best technique for this as they cannot necessaily muscle their way up like a lot of guys do.  When you get it right you pop right up and is easy.  Make sure boat driver has slack out of rope so have a nice smooth pull up.  Also easier when starting to have boat perfectly straight in front of you than the 45 degree start from the side of the boat.

I would work on getting up often as the quicker you learn the more confident you will be skiing.  Once my son caught on he was much more aggresive because he wasn't scared of falling and having to get up or have us drive back to get the dropped ski.

Good luck, you will get it.  We have all been there before and remember the frustration of popping up easily once and then trying 10 times the next time around as you learn.

Ski Naked...No Falls, No Balls

#12 Thu, Dec 10, 2009 4:25 PM

kxxc33

I had the biggest trouble getting up on one ski. I just learned how to get up on one trick ski, and i get up with my back foot out. But, i still have trouble getting up on a slalom ski. I leave one foot out as well... but sometimes it does not work...?? and advice?

#13 Thu, Dec 10, 2009 4:46 PM

HO410

You must be patient. It's easy to stand up absurdly late. It's hard to stand up way early.
Also, don't forget that your driver needs to be patient as well. The initial throttle needs to be gentle.

My global tip is just go with the flow. Let the water push the ski toward you. Keep your
shoulders strong but allow the boat to pull the handle way from you. Don't resist the motion
just go with it. When the water starts to ripple around your ski, take a breath close your eyes
(if you're comfortable with that) and just enjoy the ride.

I'll readily admit that my thoughts come from a skier that has been in double boots for over 5 years.
After a time, I've found greater freedom getting up with both feet in (even if it is just sticking my
foot in a toe-loop) When I miss, I point my ski way over to the side of my front foot (Right). Doing
this forms a kind of wedge that keeps the ski under me, giving a margin of security when something
gets wobbly.

Last edited by HO410 (Thu, Dec 10, 2009 4:50 PM)

#14 Thu, Dec 10, 2009 4:51 PM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage

kxxc33 wrote:

I had the biggest trouble getting up on one ski. I just learned how to get up on one trick ski, and i get up with my back foot out. But, i still have trouble getting up on a slalom ski. I leave one foot out as well... but sometimes it does not work...?? and advice?

I used to use the rear foot out method back in the day of all the under powered boats, where getting up was very difficult a lot of times for a seasoned skier.

WTS, today we have a lot more HP, so pwr. isn't as much of an issue. But today, the ski's are often times much narrower, creating a very simular scenario. I used to really flex my rear leg and push down against the water with the top side of my tucked under rear foot as Hard as necessary to maintain a solid and stable position. But, like I stated above a wider ski (wider the better. especially the tail) and a deep V handle will cut out a lot of wasted time, energy and Gas $$$!

As from above post;

As far as body mechanics go; Hold your tuck position and KEEP YOUR ARMS STRAIGHT! The boat WILL pull you up. Do not try to help the boat by trying to get up or stand up too quickly. This part of skiing falls directly on the experience and teaching ability of the boat driver...

Wide ski + trainer handle= Mucho confidence and a Butt Load of Fun!!!

Last edited by h20dawg79 (Thu, Dec 10, 2009 4:58 PM)

"Warning" -the Surgeon General has determined; That the preceding statements accurately reflect the views and opinions consistent with "DSS" (Delusional Slalomitis Syndrome) a highly contagious life altering condition... (Handle with Extreme care & Patience)

#15 Sun, Dec 20, 2009 5:00 PM

tugboat1

As someone who learned to get up on one ski a year ago, I agree with all of the posts.  The biggest mistake almost everyone makes is rushing the start.  Relax and stay down.  Bring your knees toward your chest, extend your arms.  Signal the driver to get you on tow.  Keep the tip of the ski out of water.  Signal your driver to get you on tow and when your ski is stable signal the driver to slowly and evenly roll on the throttle.  Let the boat do all the work to get your ski on plane.  If you try to fight the resistance  by bending your arms and pulling the handle back to you, you'll stand up too soon and go face first.  Once up, stay behind the boat for a few to get the feel of how the ski reacts.  Once comfortable, move to one side of the wake and attempt little turns back and forth on one side of the wake.  THen when you get bored with that, cross the wake.  It seems scary at first, but once you make that first cut, you'll be hooked! 

Getting up one ski is one of those "Eureka" moments.  Once you do it you'll think, "Wow that wasn't so hard after all"!

#16 Sun, Jan 3, 2010 11:38 PM

kxxc33

Thanks for the help!! I was able to get up on my connelly when I was in FL over my winter break and have improved so much.

#17 Sun, Feb 7, 2010 6:06 AM

vrod69
Skis At: carter lake,co

I would have to agree with everyone here.
    I started out as a left foot FWD and found out that I couldn't manage the ski, so right of the bat I tried switching my foot positions and went right foot FWD and came right out of the water. I was also told to get a Deep-V rope when I was buying my fist rope by the guys at the slalom shop they said it will be easier learn with and help keep me from falling over so that's what I did. Me still being a newbee and still playing with different skis I still use the Deep-V, so I wouldn't feel bad about it, because I sure don't, I know that I will get off of it some day.
    One other thing that also helped me was that for the second time I went out I had bought a Connolly Little Easy Ski, its short and fat, lots of surface area which also helped a lot. I rode that for about a month before I finally mastered a bigger normal ski. and I tried it every time I went out before switching back to the little ski for the morning. All I have to say is stick with it, take a breath, keep your head down, and you'll get it in no time.

Good Luck

Just about to get on the water, WAHOOO!!
Bj

#18 Sun, Feb 7, 2010 1:29 PM

2gofaster

One big thing that helps most people is that as the boat starts to pull, point your front foot toes down. When you do that, you drive the ski in front of you.

Shane Hill

#19 Sun, Feb 7, 2010 2:10 PM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage

One other HUGE variable that dictates the success or failure of the Guy/Gal in the water, is the Guy in the Boat, -the driver! The skier is at total mercy of the Guy/Gal in the drivers seat. This person can make or break you... (Owning the Boat can automatically make someone the Driver. But, that in No way makes one a Good driver!)

#1. Optimally, the driver should have plenty of experience at both ends of the rope.

#2. The driver must have extreme patience and bubble over with encouragement.

#3. Must be able to discern & relate to the skier with wording that creates good mental pictures for that  particular skier at that particular time.

#4. A good driver is always quick to say: "that was my fault"...smile

Board footer