Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Wed, Oct 7, 2009 7:08 AM

vonny
Foot Forward: left

No One is Too Much of a Beginner!

Hi, I have two weeks left on the lake. Self taught 4 summers ago. Cant seem to lean over enough at the turn to get the big spray - think it's fear.

#2 Wed, Oct 7, 2009 8:21 AM

condi74
Skis At: Bonney's Ski Park
Foot Forward: right

Re: No One is Too Much of a Beginner!

No such thing, have a look at some of the video clips available to get started, don't worry about the spray, when you're going hard enough it'll be big enough!

If you're not falling off you're not trying.

#3 Wed, Oct 7, 2009 11:30 AM

slam2ball
Foot Forward: RFF

if you ski, this is the place to be..!

good start maybe for next season is get some coaching to get you into good habbits. Also get some videos like 32 accounts, gifted or edged in water. you learn a whole heap from these videos.

im sure theres a few ski schools in Switzerland, I know theres a good one in France , had a few buddys go to lacanau with very good reports/results

#4 Wed, Oct 7, 2009 1:46 PM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier
Skis At: Not short enough
Foot Forward: Right

Absolutely no such thing as 'too much of a beginner'!!

Vonny, thanks for joining us! You're totally welcome here. We need more people like yourself! Feel free to ask whatever questions you want to learn about -- just take a look through the forum, do a search, and make sure that it hasn't already been asked & answered yet.

Grow the sport!

#5 Wed, Oct 7, 2009 2:41 PM

HO410
Skis At: Outlaw Lake

This is a great place to ask such a question.

First I'd refer you to this brief thread here. http://www.proskicoach.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=789 Wade's post to that tread is funny and true. To give you some food for thought, it would be helpful to know a few things about you. What speed are you skiing? What kind of ski are you using; are the bindings an appropriate size? Just basic housekeeping. I'm curious to know if you can be more specific about what you mean by "lean over enough."

#6 Wed, Oct 7, 2009 11:04 PM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage
Skis At: Old Hickory Lake, TN.

Throwing a wall of water looks very Cool!

But, you will never be able to enjoy the "Real Time" view. Only on film will you get to see your own spray... Trying to look back to see it will kill any opportunity of having one!

I would suggest working on Pull drills on both sides of the boat to get yourself comfortable with leaning as far out as possible for as long of time as possible. You just gotta get some trust and confidence leaning Hard on edge 1st.

Next I would begin to incorporate your new great edge ability into your turns. Starting with bigger radiused turns. Because, they need to be nice fluid carving turns. (Not raggedy and broken...) a little bit of wgt. and direction from the rear foot will also help throw the water...

A wider shaped ski will not throw as high of wall either...

Have fun!

"Warning" -the Surgeon General has determined; That the preceding statements accurately reflect the views and opinions consistent with "DSS" (Delusional Slalomitis Syndrome) a highly contagious life altering condition... (Handle with Extreme care & Patience)

#7 Thu, Oct 8, 2009 3:12 PM

vonny

Thank you all so much for your welcome. I feel a bit awkward as I dont even know what on & off means! Am skiing at 30mph on a JOBE NXT comp. Is that an outdated old ski that belongs in the tip? I dont know if this ski is wider than normal. I'm 5'6" & weigh 116lbs.Bindings HO venom right size but back one is large - happy to buy proper kit next year. Boat we're using is a Correct Craft Nautique 226 so the wake is bigger than our neighbour's Mumba! I've looked at videos & photos & everyone seems to lean over so much as they go back into the wake. I like the idea of pull drills on both sides & practised that today. Yday I tried tucking the back knee into the pocket of the front which tired the back leg! But the turns in were sharper & I felt more stable. 
I tried a lesson back in '06 & damaged a rib which put me out of action for 5 weeks as the ski instructor told my husband to drive the boat faster so never went back to that ski school. Give me an American coach any day so if any coaches are free the for next 10 days, I'll pick you up in Lugano. Using a spring suit at the moment as the water is still warm. We have the lake all to ourselves.It's over 4km wide & 33 miles long!
Suffered headaches the last week from falling so much that I started to wear my wakeboard helmet & felt a real dork! But I'm addicted......

#8 Thu, Oct 8, 2009 3:26 PM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier
Skis At: Not short enough

It's a pretty adicting sport!

Leaning over far is really fun -- but don't try to do too much, too soon.

You can ski really good and make a big spray while still just having a little bit of lean. The #1 rule is ski in control. You wouldn't go snow skiing as a beginner and point your tips straight down the hill, right? So just take it easy, keep practicing. The more and more comfortable you get the more you'll be able to lean over and stay in control!

#9 Thu, Oct 8, 2009 3:37 PM

HO410
Skis At: Outlaw Lake

This is a fantastic drill. Keep it balanced keep it controlled.

Last edited by HO 410 (Thu, Oct 8, 2009 4:13 PM)

#10 Thu, Oct 8, 2009 4:04 PM

tjo

Vonny, wish this thread had happened three weeks ago as I was passing through Lugano (going from Milan to Zurich) two weeks ago.  What an incredibly beautiful place you have there!!!  Good luck and have fun learning to slalom!

Travis Ogden

#11 Fri, Oct 9, 2009 1:39 PM

vonny

Thank you HO410-I keep playing the videos over & over! I've improved so much these last 4 weeks that I'm all hyped up hence finding this forum along with being a geek watching videos of skiing all day long! I never thought of skiing in control as we have the lake all to ourselves so dont have to worry & just gung ho out there! Will definitely take a virtual lesson next spring. TJO there's always next year. Where we are is even nicer than Lugano, heaven on earth. BTW we're not Swiss, I'm an Aussie & hubby a New Yorker! Very few people here speak English. I'm also not a wakeboarder but do it cos hubby does!No skiing today as it's raining:(sad

#12 Fri, Oct 9, 2009 3:02 PM

tjo

Well, I can certainly see why you guys moved there.  If I am fortunate enough to make it back over there I'll have to look you up becuase I would LOVE to ski on that pristine water.

Travis Ogden

#13 Fri, Oct 9, 2009 5:42 PM

ColinCanski
Skis At: Gosfield WSC

Click on links for places to get some good coaching, not too far from you. I've not skied at either (yet), but have had good reports.  Waterski Recetto is Italy's national training centre (I think). Something  to consider for next year, or even this year if the urge (addiction) takes you.

http://www.scinautico.ch/club.php?lang=en

http://www.waterskirecetto.com/EN/Home.html

Last edited by Colin Canski (Fri, Oct 9, 2009 5:51 PM)

Ski to Live - Live to Ski

#14 Sun, Oct 11, 2009 7:42 AM

vonny

Thanks Colin. Recetto is over 100 miles away whilst the other is on Lake Lugano 26 miles away. It's tough to take a lesson when you dont understand what they're saying & after trying a lesson 3 years ago here where I probably broke a rib, we're better off flying a coach to our place. I tried my first ever triathlon here 3 years ago & with no one speaking English it was tough & a bit lonely but I loved it & have entered in it every year since. My Italian has improved though & I can now talk my way across the border whenever I forget to bring my passport when cycling!
TJO, what were you doing in Zurich? Vacation or work? looking our of my bedroom window this morning, seeing the clear blue sky with the sunshining on the snowless mountains reminded me of Snowbird then coming downstairs & seeing the lake, I remembered I'm here to waterski!
Practised the pull drill yday like h20dawg79 suggested which was great fun leaning over to about 45 degree angle on both sides away from the boat but coming back into the wake the body did not seem to like the idea. The rope also became so slack it would hit the water. I cant seem to get the timing right to release the arm!

#15 Sun, Oct 11, 2009 8:27 AM

Galejan
Skis At: Tunsättersjön

Can this be something for you, its very good coaching and there will be no problems with the language.
http://www.waterskiitaly.com/

#16 Sun, Oct 11, 2009 12:59 PM

ColinCanski
Skis At: Gosfield WSC

Good advice from h20dawg regarding drills, also think about incorporating what Seth Stisher is doing. Other things to consider is the virtual coaching offered by Wade. Elsewhere on this forum Wade has a sumamry of each coach.

I'm fairly confident you'd be able to ski with an English speaking coach at Recetto, otherwise they wouldn't go to so much trouble to have an English version of their website. A couple of guys I know have skied there, they do not speak Italian.

I've spent  a week skiing with Thomas Gustafson at waterskiitaly the past 3 years. I didn't mention it, as Cervia is 500 miles or more. The Hotel Exclelsior is an excellant place to stay too.

IF, you're going to fly a coach in, then I'd imagine they'd be forming an orderly queue to be invited to the Italian Lakes. In the next queue will be all the skiers from this forum also hoping to be invited wink

Ski to Live - Live to Ski

#17 Sun, Oct 11, 2009 2:24 PM

tjo

Vonny, I was there for work.

Travis Ogden

#18 Mon, Oct 12, 2009 9:34 PM

vonny

Thank you Galejan but that is much too far. Ditto with Recetto.Discovered this site too late to take a virtual session but will definitely do so next spring. If you’re good looking or a great skier & you’re passing by like on your way to work then you’re always welcome.

You could come to the Black Tie Dinner at the House of Lords on Dec 17th where we will auction off a 4 night stay here where money goes to charity

http://vitalforchildren.org/get.involved/future.events/

Failing that you can enter the triathlon, raise a minimum of £500 for charity & ski with us for a week

http://vitalforchildren.org/get.involve … hlon.2008/   smile

Board footer