Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Mon, Oct 5, 2009 3:56 PM

Jeff_kurtz

Upgrading ski, what length is the right fit?

I am in the process of buying a new ski and I am trying to figure out what length to buy.  I spoke with a dealer/ski school on the phone who said I should consider a longer ski and wanted to get a second opinion.  I am 6/6'1, 163 and have always skied on a 66.  My biggest concern is getting the ski to turn which is one of my bigger challenges.  I 37, ski 34 mph and get into 32 off.   Thanks for your input

#2 Mon, Oct 5, 2009 4:04 PM

area 41

Re: Upgrading ski, what length is the right fit?

What ski/skis are you considering?
I am very close to your ht/wt...maybe 5 lbs lighter. I have always used a 66 but went with the 65 S1. I t feels like I can work the ski better than I could the 66 S1. And there is no problem behind the boat. But all in all it probably depends on which model ski you are looking at especially with the different shapes/surface areas that are out there now.

#3 Mon, Oct 5, 2009 4:10 PM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier
Skis At: Not short enough
Foot Forward: Right

#4 Mon, Oct 5, 2009 5:16 PM

Jeff_kurtz

I am testing a couple out.  I have skied on an Connelly F1 67inch.  I am planning on skiing on a D3 Nomad this weekend.  Others I would like to test are the Radar Annex & RS1.

#5 Mon, Oct 5, 2009 5:36 PM

area 41

If you're on the borderline of the spec's the best thing to do is to try two sizes. That's probably the only way to really know.
According to HO's website I should be on the 66 S1. But the 65 is better for me. I tried the 66 and probably would have given up on the S1 altogether except for a guy nearby that had a 65 for sale. I tried it just because it was convenient and was pleasantly surprised.
You mentioned trying an RS1. I skied on an MPD which is very similar. At 6'0" and 155-160 the 66 felt good to me.
You also mentioned being concerned about being able to turn the ski. In general, I think a smaller ski would be easier to turn.

#6 Mon, Oct 5, 2009 5:46 PM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier
Skis At: Not short enough

If you can ride the smaller skier it'll be better for you. If it's a wider ski, you can usually go a little smaller due to the increased surface area. Generally speaking the smallest ski that you can ski well on is the one for you.

#7 Mon, Oct 5, 2009 8:26 PM

HO410
Skis At: Outlaw Lake

You're definitely in the range where a 66" will be okay. This new wave of skis turn very well, so you might enjoy the extra support of the next size up. If you are not sinking in the turns, then you are definitely in the clear.

Just a story:
I've had the amusement/displeasure of watching a skier about your size, although a little shorter and only a -15 skier, try to ski on a 65" Monza. He claims anything larger turns like a barge, and he turned down a straight up trade for an almost new 66" Monza. The ski is way too small and everyone knows it. He sinks at the ball. Because of this, there is unavoidable tip rise. And I swear I've seen him take slack hits even when the rope is tight. This takes a phenomenal toll on the body. Ever seen someone break a rib with no crash? Turn, grimace, let go, gently sink into the water, and walk to shore because it hurts too much to get onto the platform. Skip an entire year because the back is acting up. Disappear for a month or two during prime skiing weather because you strained your rotator cuff when the ski stopped in the turn but you held on with one hand to muscle the ski around. Slalom cab be hard enough on your body without your ski making it worse. Not worth it.

#8 Mon, Oct 5, 2009 9:41 PM

Jeff_kurtz

I agree a 65 is probably too short but am unsure if a 67  will be a noticable difference especilly in the turns.  It's difficult to really tell the difference when you are demoing a ski.

#9 Mon, Oct 5, 2009 9:46 PM

ToddF
Skis At: mudhole
Foot Forward: right

So what about the elites they go from a 67 to a 68.5, if you are used to a 68" which way should you go on that one? 6' 190+

Board footer