Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Sat, Oct 3, 2009 12:14 AM

Don

Goode, Dual Loc and Pre-Release

I have read the previous threads on dual loc - amounts to use and 400 or 250 but wondered if any skier has had my problem of pre-releasing on my new 62.5 wide ride.  I have tried adding new strips of 250 dual loc to the point of having 3 strips on each side under my front boot - still releasing.  I'm thinking of trying the 400 with the 250 to get a stronger hold and maybe solve the problem.  I've been told by Goode that this is a unique problem to me but I've heard rumor that this is not true.  An engineer friend says that it's related to the ski over flexing and peeling away from the G10 plate that I use with my system 5 hardshell boots.  Since the ski is new, there's little background for me to use to solve this problem.  I'm 184 lbs and have only been trying -22 passes to get used to the new ski.  So far, I haven't been able to ski but one time down the lake in 4 different sets without the ski pre-releasing under my front boot.  Like the way the ski feels but need to get this problem fixed.  Adding dual loc seems to be only fixing symptom not problem.

#2 Sat, Oct 3, 2009 3:51 AM

Thomas Wayne

Re: Goode, Dual Loc and Pre-Release

Velcro was never designed or intended to have a predictable load release function, and every separation deteriorates (to some extent) it's relative strength.  Maybe you should consider a more purpose-engineered safety solution.

TW

#3 Sat, Oct 3, 2009 4:48 AM

ScotChipman
Foot Forward: Right

Don, Do you have three full strips on the ski and three full strips on the plate or do you have six full strips on the ski and six full strips on the plate?

The chart below is a good starting point for most people. Inter-Loc was not designed as a release function but it does work very well once you get the right amount. It does deteriorate over time and with each release so you do need to replace it every year or so.

< 120 lbs 2 one inch wide strips of 250 Inter-LocTM  on the ski and plate, four total.
120-140 2.5 one inch wide strips of 250 Inter-LocTM  on the ski and plate, five total.
140-160 3 one inch wide strips of 250 Inter-LocTM  on the ski and plate, six total.
160-180 3.5 one inch wide strips of 250 Inter-LocTM  on the ski and plate, seven total.
180-200 4 one inch wide strips of 250 Inter-LocTM  on the ski and plate, eight total.
200-220 4.5 one inch wide strips of 250 Inter-LocTM  on the ski and plate, nine total.
>220 5 one inch wide strips of 250 Inter-LocTM  on the ski and plate, ten total.

* One strip of 250 Inter-LocTM being the length of a G-10 plate.

Scot Chipman

#4 Sat, Oct 3, 2009 8:03 PM

Don

For my last pass that pre-released, I had 2 full strips (one on each side) of 250 on the ski and 2 full strips on the plate, plus 2 -10" strips inside of the full strips up front under my front boot, plus another 2- 10" strips next to those running down the center under my front boot.  That made the front boot area of the plate, that was pre-releasing, having 6 strips on the ski and 6 strips on the plate. The back area of the ski and plate just had the 2 outside strips on the ski matched up with the 2 outside strips on the plate.

I now am ready to replace some of the 250 on the ski with 400 leaving the plate alone with the 250 already there.

I like the weight chart, but think weight is a big factor but also see the significance of how hard you ski and speed/line length to keeping the plate on.  Probably the harder the ski flexes, the more chance you have of it pulling away from your plate.

Remember the amount/strength of the dual loc only fixes the symptom not solve the problem of why it is pre-releasing.  What about the G-10 plate flexing too much compared to the aluminum plate?  Or the softness of the ski/skier too heavy for the ski causing it to flex too much and pull away from the plate?

Should I care why or just work on fixing the pre-releasing?

#5 Sat, Oct 3, 2009 8:12 PM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier
Skis At: Not short enough

Don wrote:

Probably the harder the ski flexes, the more chance you have of it pulling away from your plate.

Remember the amount/strength of the dual loc only fixes the symptom not solve the problem of why it is pre-releasing.  What about the G-10 plate flexing too much compared to the aluminum plate?

The combination really small ski that flexes a lot with G10 might not be something that works very well for your skiing style. I know several skiers who had a heck of a time pre releasing with the G10 plate no matter how much inter loc they used. I think your comments are on the head. The g10 flexes with the ski, and if the ski bends far enough, POP

#6 Sat, Oct 3, 2009 9:21 PM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier
Skis At: Not short enough

Don, in an E-Mail wrote:

This is Don from Michigan and I have been having a huge challenge trying to get my new 62.5 Wide Ride to work for me.  The G-10 plate keeps pre-releasing and I have been adding dual loc until I now on the verge of going to 400 strength.  You mentioned something about "others" having a pre-releasing problem.  See I've been told by Dave that the problem is unique to me and he has never heard of this happening with others on the WR.  I think I like the ski, although I only had limited time on it before the pre-releasing problem, so I wonder if it might be related to the G-10 plate.  The easy solution might be to change to a metal plate.  If the ski is going to flex beyond holding a plate on then there may not be a solution.  What do you think?

Hey Don good to hear from ya!

It might be the first time this has happened with the 62.5 Wide Ride. I think most of the time I've heard of this problem it was on the 9800? Which I think was a softer ski than the 9700?

I would try the 400 if you want, but if you can get the metal plate, I almost guarantee that would solve the issue. If you line it up with 400 on the one side like you were saying, that would probably make it better. But I know how hard it can be to get over those kinds of pre release falls.

#7 Sun, Oct 4, 2009 12:39 AM

JAS

Don
I ski with RTP and used front powershell for several years. No intial problems and thought the system was fine, in fact really liked the ease to make small adjustments. Then for no apparent reason started having pre-release of the front plate. At least one because the "Square custom nuts that hold boot on plate" were interfering with complete interface of dual loc. Other 3-4 times I have no idea what the problem was. One thing I know for sure is that after you take a fall behind the boat, you will be ever careful of  how plate and ski are mated. Tried new velcro, more velcro, just couldn't figure it out. Decided that it was just the wrong system for me and moved on to Reflex system. Don't close my eyes behind the boat any more.

Last edited by JAS (Sun, Oct 4, 2009 4:44 AM)

Board footer