Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Fri, Oct 2, 2009 5:33 PM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier
Skis At: Not short enough
Foot Forward: Right

Do you have an Epic Event Location?

Today's announcement of the almost-for-sure Milwaukee Pro Tour in 2010 is a huge deal. This event will be right up there with the Moomba Masters.

I know there are other epic downtown locations out there like this one.

Where are they?

I heard there's a place in Cleveland, outside the rock & roll hall of fame. We're also looking into Montreale.

Local sponsor support is important.

Please Contact Us if you've got a proposal -- or just post an address that we can check it out on Goog-Earth

Grow the sport!

#2 Fri, Oct 2, 2009 6:24 PM

Chef23
Foot Forward: Left

Re: Do you have an Epic Event Location?

I don't know how clean it is these days but an event on the Charles River in your hometown would be awesome.  You could watch it from both sides of the river and the MA Ave bridge if it was located correctly.  I don't have any connections but it would be very cool.

#3 Fri, Oct 2, 2009 6:27 PM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier

Would be, extreeeemely cool. Think that one is a pretty big undertaking, maybe 2011 or 2012

Anywhere that already has some local interest?

#4 Fri, Oct 2, 2009 10:57 PM

2gofaster

Town Lake in Austin would be awesome. Splits downtown and even the AWSA Nationals has been there, albeit 30 years ago. I know they used to have tournaments there in the 80s and early 90s when I lived there. A pro tour stop would be the perfect addition to Aquafest, which is a big festival held on the banks of Town Lake in the summer. You'd have a hundred thousand people or more to draw attendance from. The pro tour has made stops in Austin before, although out at Emma Long Park which is pretty out of the way.

Shane Hill

#5 Fri, Oct 2, 2009 11:36 PM

ScarletArrow
Skis At: Bellalago - Leavittsburg, Ohio

Yo Wade!

Interesting idea...

If I were going to host an event in Cleveland, it would be be in one of 2 loactions...

1 - On the north side of Cleveland Browns stadium (just google and zoom in on the satellite image).

This is where many of the public attractions are held - X-games, Marathon, R&R HOF, Great Lakes Science Museum, Grand Prix is next door at the Burke Airport.

2 - On the Cuyahoga River just across from Quicken Loans Arena (Cavs) and Progressive Field (Indians).

You're within walking distance to many restuarants and the main business section of downtown.

There would be awesome spectating as fans would be right next to the water.

Getting support from the mayor would be easy as they are always looking to do things like this.

The negatives would be: a) Lake Erie can get pretty windy and rough - while there is a breakwall, it would not be perfect conditions for skiers. b) The water isn't exactly the cleanest around.

Perhaps a better location would be the Portage Lakes region in Akron.  Here you have a several inter-connected public inland lakes with homes, a golf course, bars and restuarants, state park, marinas, etc.

Time to ski!

#6 Sat, Oct 3, 2009 12:42 AM

ScotChipman

Dave Goode has a current site that is in downtown Ogden Utah that he and the city have plans to develop into an amazing site for skiers and spectators. The site has great weather/water but a little short on the set ups, the new revised lake will be longer with an area for spectators.

http://www.proskicoach.com/forum/uploads/2_33617910.jpg

Scot Chipman

#7 Sat, Oct 3, 2009 8:18 AM

trichter12
Skis At:

Im from madison, went to school in Milwaukee for two years, now im at UW-Madison. I Would love to see a event in Milwaukee.  They have a great environment for skiing, and a wonderful place to visit.  Wade, I think I can speak for a lot of madison skiers when i say that there will most definitely be a large amount of people that will make the small journey to see some outstanding skiing.

Travis

#8 Sat, Oct 3, 2009 1:42 PM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier

scarletarrow wrote:

Getting support from the mayor would be easy as they are always looking to do things like this.

The negatives would be: a) Lake Erie can get pretty windy and rough - while there is a breakwall, it would not be perfect conditions for skiers. b) The water isn't exactly the cleanest around.

Perhaps a better location would be the Portage Lakes region in Akron.  Here you have a several inter-connected public inland lakes with homes, a golf course, bars and restuarants, state park, marinas, etc.

Interesting. Can you learn more about it for me? The bottom line is any town or municipality that can raise $50,000 locally will bring the pro tour to town. There isn't much more time left to secure events for 2010... but we need to start working on 2011.

ScotChipman wrote:

Dave Goode has a current site that is in downtown Ogden Utah

It looks awesome there! It sounds like this one is a few years off in the works. Didn't Dave hold a smaller Pro-Am style tournament out there this year?

trichter12 wrote:

[Milwaukee] has a great environment for skiing, and a wonderful place to visit.

Keep in touch. We will need you and your ski team to help out with the event in most likelyhood. It's all but confirmed at this point -- we're launching a boat to test the site this month. It will be HUGE

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2644/3973984603_32126d17a0.jpg

#9 Mon, Oct 5, 2009 12:31 AM

ToddF
Skis At: mudhole
Foot Forward: right

Sparks Marina in Sparks/Reno NV.  They have a pro wakboard tourney there it seems pretty successful, so why not have a ski tournament as well.

http://www.ci.sparks.nv.us/living/parks/marina/

good picture

#10 Mon, Oct 5, 2009 1:11 AM

2gofaster

Wade, got your email. Let me make some calls.

Shane Hill

#11 Mon, Oct 5, 2009 1:27 AM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier

http://www.ci.sparks.nv.us/living/parks/marina/images/Sparks_Marina_Park.jpg

ToddF -- that place looks siiiiick.

Shane got my email, I'll tell you the same thing. We need local businesses to support the event. If you can get local sponsors and get an interest group formed to bring the event to town, we'll take care of the rest. We're probably looking @ 2011 -- but talking with the City and the Parks Department and pushing it forward has to start sooner rather than later to make it a success.

Let me know what resources I can give you to start the discussion with the right people.

#12 Mon, Oct 5, 2009 2:22 AM

ScotChipman

Wade, Dave Goode did hold two class C tournaments this past summer, I skied in one of them. When the lake and site are re-worked it will be sweet for a pro/Big Dawg tournament.

Scot Chipman

#13 Mon, Oct 5, 2009 5:01 AM

AndrewBernhagen
Skis At: 0.5 @ 35 off, 36 mph
Foot Forward: LFF

I'm also from Madison, and I definitely believe we'd have some team interest in helping out with such an event.  Keep us posted Wade!

"A bad day on the water is a good day."  -Mike Yankaitis

#14 Tue, Oct 6, 2009 1:52 PM

MChilcutt
Skis At: Utah Lake

That Reno site looks like a dream lake for the west. JMTC of course
MC

Board footer