Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#26 Fri, Oct 2, 2009 7:26 PM

Thomas Wayne

Re: Anyone switch from 05 monza to an A-1?

edit

Last edited by Thomas Wayne (Mon, Oct 5, 2009 8:28 PM)

#27 Fri, Oct 2, 2009 7:33 PM

alski
Skis At: Twin Lakes
Foot Forward: Right

TW,

I havent checked the settings at all.  I know youre right about the factory settings being random and not necessarily "stock".  Its a combination of laziness and the thought that I should be able to run -35 on a 2x4 if I ski properly, so better off spend the time skiing rather than tweaking.  Its backward logic, and I keep telling myself I'm gonna set it up properly, but every time I get to the lake, I say screw it, I'm going skiing.

#28 Fri, Oct 2, 2009 7:43 PM

Thomas Wayne

edit

Last edited by Thomas Wayne (Mon, Oct 5, 2009 8:29 PM)

#29 Fri, Oct 2, 2009 7:49 PM

alski
Skis At: Twin Lakes

TW, youre right.  I'm going to measure this weekend.  Now, if only the battery on my calipers wasn't dead.....

#30 Fri, Oct 2, 2009 7:50 PM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier
Skis At: Not short enough

Got a few sets of non-digital dial calipers on the cheap email me if you're interested

#31 Fri, Oct 2, 2009 8:35 PM

Thomas Wayne

edit

Last edited by Thomas Wayne (Mon, Oct 5, 2009 8:29 PM)

#32 Sun, Oct 4, 2009 2:22 AM

Chef23
Foot Forward: Left

alski wrote:

Chef,

I think your point illustrates that different skis suit different styles.  You say that "if you just stay countered" then you could make up time.  I agree.  It seems your tendency is to be countered and patient, and you just need to "stay" that way. Good on you, thats proper technique and the A1 will reward that.

However, my tendency was to not be countered in the first place.  On the Monza I would rotate my shoulders and push the ski around, and I got away with it.  On the A1 I need to be very conscious of keeping the handle tight off the second wake and keeping my shoulders countered and facing down course.  If I dont exaggerate that, I revert to my Monza habits and rotate my shoulders.

Al, maybe I am not strong enough but on the Monza I couldn't push the ski around.  Whenver I tried it would stall on my offside.  With the A1 if I am not perfect I can push it around.  I am sure that different skis fit different skiers better.  I haven't had a chance to try too many as none of my ski buddies ski on my size ski.

#33 Sun, Oct 4, 2009 2:26 AM

Chef23
Foot Forward: Left

alski wrote:

TW,

I havent checked the settings at all.  I know youre right about the factory settings being random and not necessarily "stock".  Its a combination of laziness and the thought that I should be able to run -35 on a 2x4 if I ski properly, so better off spend the time skiing rather than tweaking.  Its backward logic, and I keep telling myself I'm gonna set it up properly, but every time I get to the lake, I say screw it, I'm going skiing.

You definitely need to make sure the fin is set right it could be anywhere.  My fin got shallow by 5/100 and it felt completely wrong.  I skied about 10 sets on it and was all pissed off before I checked the fin and saw it was off.  Once I put it back it felt great again.

Board footer