Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Fri, Oct 2, 2009 2:24 PM

ToddF
Skis At: mudhole
Foot Forward: right

Anyone switch from 05 monza to an A-1?

Has anyone made this switch and if you did what did/do you think.  Are there any setup changes from the monza.  would you want to run both skis about the same?

Any thoughts or input would be great

Thanks

Todd

#2 Fri, Oct 2, 2009 2:27 PM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier
Skis At: Not short enough
Foot Forward: Right

Re: Anyone switch from 05 monza to an A-1?

The skis are really different I would suggest starting from the HO A1 Recommended Fin and Binding Settings

Probably some others have some more specific input on your question.

#3 Fri, Oct 2, 2009 2:50 PM

ToddF

I haven't gotten an new ski yet, I really like the monza and would like to get something newer, I was guessing since it is the same manufacturer that the ski would have similar characteristics.

#4 Fri, Oct 2, 2009 2:56 PM

alski
Skis At: Twin Lakes

Todd,

I went from an 07 Monza to an A1 this year, so not exactly what youre looking for.  I believe the 05 ad 07 Monzas are quite similar, so perhaps its a good comparison.  Take it for what it's worth.

Just to preface, I am not much of a tweaker, so I may not have achieved full potential out of either ski.

On the Monza I developed a style with significant skier input in the turns.  I would get on it hard and push it around and it usually stuck with me and set me up into a slingshot across the wakes and plenty of time to try and kill the next buoy.  Worked well, got me through -35 at 36 mph. 

At the end of last season, the ski started to delam near the tail and I sent it back to HO.  They stepped up big time and sent me a new 09 Monza.  I skied a few sets on it to begin this season and it just didnt feel like my 07.  So, with the added value of the 09 I decided to trade up to an A1.

On the A1 I left the fin at stock and got the bindings as close to the stock numbers as I could (middle hole).  I couldnt ski it.  Every time I tried to turn the ski would create excessive angle and break me at the waist.  I had heard that the A1 was different from the Monza as it was a carving turn shape as opposed to a skidded turn shape.  This couldnt be more accurate.  I was so used to pushing the Monza around in the turn that when I tried that on the A1, it kept dumping me.  I had to refocus and rework my style.  This ski rewards patience and a quiet turn.  If you try to ski it like a Monza, pushing on it, it won't work. 

After some time I focused on just keeping head and shoulders up and movings downcourse, and WAITING.  The ski comes around on a dime and as long as I slide my hips through the turn without rotating, I ski back to handle and am off and running.  It's a great ski, but IMO is the complete opposite of the Monza. 

If the Monza style is engrained in your technique, it will take some time and a good deal patience to get used to the A1.

Sorry for the long post.  Hope this helps.

AL

#5 Fri, Oct 2, 2009 3:01 PM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier

Great post AL. Sounds like the A1 is a better ski than the Monza, even if it does take some sets to get used to up front.

#6 Fri, Oct 2, 2009 3:20 PM

alski

Wade,

"Better" might be too objective a term.  My buoy count on the A1 is actually lower than on the Monza.  When I ski it right, it feels smoother, but I cant scrap on it like I could on my Monza.

AL

#7 Fri, Oct 2, 2009 3:23 PM

ToddF

Thanks Al.

So would you say you are comfortable on the ski now.  Are you a better skier on the A-1?
I know what you are saying about pushing the monza, it seems like I have to be really physical on that ski to run well.
Which some days it is "just not there"

#8 Fri, Oct 2, 2009 3:24 PM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier

From a technical standpoint, I think most coaches out there will agree you can run more buoys if you're not pushing your ski. Even if it is a temporary step backwards, this fundamental change should help you in the long run.

#9 Fri, Oct 2, 2009 3:30 PM

ToddF

I agree. since I have a 68" monza is the 67.5 the size that is comparable.

#10 Fri, Oct 2, 2009 3:32 PM

HO410
Skis At: Outlaw Lake

I can second that.

HO did their homework and made a very good ski. If you stay open to the boat and patient in the turn, you will love the A1. If that makes any sense, I feel like you ski the Monza and you just ride the A1. 

There is a very noticeable and beneficial change in performance with the A1 if you let it carry out a bit wider than you would with the Monza. When you ski slightly narrow it will fell good but not great, probably about the same as the Monza. You definitely have to tone it down in the turn. The ski scrubs too much speed and turns to far if you get antsy on the ski.

#11 Fri, Oct 2, 2009 3:32 PM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier

Yea it can be a challenge to learn to trust not pushing, especially when you are loosing a little length too.

#12 Fri, Oct 2, 2009 3:36 PM

alski

Wade is undoubtedly correct.  Skiing with proper technique is more rewarded on the A1 than the Monza and the A1 is therefore "better."  However, being the hack that I am, I inevitably revert to my scrappy technique as the rope gets shorter.  On the Monza I could get away with it, on the A1 I'm in the drink.  I have been forced to be a better skier on the A1, which will pay dividends in the long run, I hope.  As Wade says, one step back for 2 steps forward.  Its just frustrating that I feel I'm skiing better, but my buoy count is still down.

AL

#13 Fri, Oct 2, 2009 3:45 PM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier

alski wrote:

Its just frustrating that I feel I'm skiing better, but my buoy count is still down.
AL

AND the waterskiing addiction lives on!

#14 Fri, Oct 2, 2009 3:49 PM

ToddF

What about the speed of the A-1 is it faster than the monza.

I had an older F-1 connelly and it turns well, but it always felt slow especially compared to the monza.

#15 Fri, Oct 2, 2009 3:59 PM

alski

WadeWilliams wrote:

alski wrote:

Its just frustrating that I feel I'm skiing better, but my buoy count is still down.
AL

AND the waterskiing addiction lives on!

Cant deny that.  Skied yesterday after work.  air 48, water 58.  Just the way I like it.

Todd,

As far as speed of the A1, I think it feels slower just because of the nature of the carved turn, but its not really.  I never felt any issue with cross course speed.  On the Monza, i always felt like I was flying just because I always skied it so hard.

#16 Fri, Oct 2, 2009 4:06 PM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier

#17 Fri, Oct 2, 2009 4:20 PM

ToddF

Al, have you made any adjustments to the stock settings?

So the a-1 turns great, I like that especially going from the monza which it seems needs to be worked pretty hard to get angle.  Do you still find yourself cranking as hard through the wakes on the A-1 as would on the monza.

#18 Fri, Oct 2, 2009 4:36 PM

HO410
Skis At: Outlaw Lake

Does it require more or less effort to maintain your direction into the wakes?

(refer back to Wades previous post, cranking on any ski will load the line and then the line will unload you)

I have been told by skiers better than me that they were more tired after a set with the A1 than with the Monza, but while they were skiing they did not feel like they had to work any harder to get where they needed. The general feeling is that the A1 gets you wider easier.

#19 Fri, Oct 2, 2009 4:56 PM

alski

ToddF wrote:

Al, have you made any adjustments to the stock settings?

So the a-1 turns great, I like that especially going from the monza which it seems needs to be worked pretty hard to get angle.  Do you still find yourself cranking as hard through the wakes on the A-1 as would on the monza.

Todd,
I haven't touched any of the settings, although I probably should.

With the A1, if you ski it properly, there's no need to "crank" any portion of the pass.  Skiing is all continuous.  If you get a good turn, youll have a good pull and vise versa.  So with the A1, if you can train yourself to be quiet and patient, there's no need to think about ever really exerting any force on the ski.  I think this is a foundational principle that Wade and Chris are teaching.  The less force exerted on the ski, the smoother the ski will be and the easier it will be to get across course.

#20 Fri, Oct 2, 2009 5:06 PM

alski

HO 410 wrote:

Does it require more or less effort to maintain your direction into the wakes?

I'm not sure what you mean by that.  If I try to push the A1 around the turn, itll create excessive angle and stop which result in a loss of direction and later line into the next buoy.  If I let it carve, the transition from the completion of the turn to the wakes is seamless and the wake crossings are effortless.  On the Monza, I was cranking the turns, which cause hesitation out of the buoy and forced me to push the ski hard through the wakes.  As we know, too much load exerted on the ski at any point will result in an abrupt unload, which makes it difficult to remain balanced and efficient.

#21 Fri, Oct 2, 2009 5:29 PM

ToddF

Al that answered my question exactly.

What do you think is the cause of you not running as many buoys on the ski?  Is it just time on the ski?  Do you feel good about it getting you past the next line?

Now that is a loaded question isn't it.

#22 Fri, Oct 2, 2009 5:42 PM

alski

I think the reason I'm not running as many buoys is two-fold.  The main reason is me.  I'm not skiing it consistently.  One pass I'll do everything right and it feels great.  The next pass Ill try to do too much and the ski won't have it.  I still havent unlearned the "push-the-ski" technique that I developed on the
Monza.  When I do I think I will be rewarded with more buoys and shorter lines.

The second reason is set up.  I'd love to blame it entirely on this, but the reason I'm not running -38 likely rests on my faults not the skis.  However, ski set up is important and I just havent given it the effort to really tinker.  Honestly, its because of is laziness. I ask myself, if Will Asher, or any pro could get on my ski set up as is, could he run -38?  In all likelihood, the answer is yes.  If so, if I skied properly I could run it too, so why bother with .0001 of an inch.  Instead, I continue to go out there and bang my head against a wall.

All that being said, I do believe that my potential on the A1 is greater than on the Monza.  The A1 rewards, and in a way forces, proper technique.  Proper technique should untimately result in more buoys.

#23 Fri, Oct 2, 2009 6:30 PM

Chef23
Foot Forward: Left

alski wrote:

Wade,

"Better" might be too objective a term.  My buoy count on the A1 is actually lower than on the Monza.  When I ski it right, it feels smoother, but I cant scrap on it like I could on my Monza.

AL

Al,

For me the reverse is true.  I went from an 05 Monza to an A1 this summer.  I was on a 70" Monza and am on the 68.5"A1.  Within 2 sets I was equaling my best on the Monza.  For me I was fine at 15 and 22 off on the Monza but when I hit 28 off unless I set up my turns perfectly on the offside I couldn't get the ski to turn.  With the A1 if I just stay countered coming into my offside turns I feel like I can catch up if needed.

I am running my ski at stock settings on the fin from this site and I think the rear binding is 30 1/8".  Originally I was at 29 7/8 but I moved it forward a hole to get some separation for my feet.

I am very happy with the A1.  With the Monza I struggled in the cold water and I just got in from a set in 58* water and got 2@32 off which is a solid set for me.

#24 Fri, Oct 2, 2009 6:43 PM

alski

Chef,

I think your point illustrates that different skis suit different styles.  You say that "if you just stay countered" then you could make up time.  I agree.  It seems your tendency is to be countered and patient, and you just need to "stay" that way. Good on you, thats proper technique and the A1 will reward that.

However, my tendency was to not be countered in the first place.  On the Monza I would rotate my shoulders and push the ski around, and I got away with it.  On the A1 I need to be very conscious of keeping the handle tight off the second wake and keeping my shoulders countered and facing down course.  If I dont exaggerate that, I revert to my Monza habits and rotate my shoulders.

#25 Fri, Oct 2, 2009 7:23 PM

ToddF

Maybe the monza rewards turning the shoulders and sliding because that is how I feel I ski on it.  If I am patient and counter rotated then it feels like I never get the angle, So I try and work the ski and the get over the front of ski at the turn.

Board footer