Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Mon, Sep 28, 2009 7:46 PM

MChilcutt
Skis At: Utah Lake
Foot Forward: Right

Shallow Water Skiing

Okay looking for detailed input on the performance problems related to skiing shallow water. Our good course at utah lake ranges in depth from about 4ft (boat path) to 20inches around some of the turn balls. Not sure if it is a mental thing for me but it seems like i am not skiing even close to my potential in this shallow water.
What about really deep water like 10ft plus what effect does that have if any???

Thanks, MC

#2 Mon, Sep 28, 2009 7:54 PM

miski
Skis At: Jepawhit, Lyons, SkiTec
Foot Forward: Left

Re: Shallow Water Skiing

20" seems dangerous...  I would add to your question - what is minimum depth to be reasonably safe from hitting bottom?

#3 Mon, Sep 28, 2009 7:59 PM

Deke
Skis At: 15/34

We don't go below 4' at the turn balls when setting our course.

#4 Mon, Sep 28, 2009 9:09 PM

2gofaster

Are you really serious? 20 inches? That's knee deep! A good friend managed to get back on her ski in water about that deep, it dug in, and she's now in a cast after having her achilles put back together. That said, the ski will ride higher in shallow water.

Shane Hill

#5 Mon, Sep 28, 2009 9:44 PM

ScotChipman

Yes, At the turn balls our very nice and protected course on Utah Lake in only around 20" which is as low as we will ski before we move to our deeper but not as protected location. The only good news it that we have 12" of very soft mud on the bottom.

Scot Chipman

#6 Mon, Sep 28, 2009 9:56 PM

HO410
Skis At: Outlaw Lake

The size of the water column between the bottom of your ski and the bottom of the lake will change the way the ski works. I don't know the hydrodynamics, but when we dredged the lake to get the turn buoys in 6' of water instead of 4', it felt like the ski was carving the turn instead of skidding. I'd guess in shallower water, you will have the turbulence from the displaced water echo back before you have a chance to be somewhere else, making the ski ride higher in the water.

20" is pretty dang shallow. I know when droughts or floods make sites unusable, we end up extending guest memberships (or using ourselves) to other sites so that safe skiing can continue.

#7 Mon, Sep 28, 2009 11:59 PM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage
Skis At: Old Hickory Lake, TN.
Foot Forward: left

20"?  20"??? WHAT? WOW! What do you do if you fall @ the buoy? -call a tow truck to pull you out of the Mud? -ha,ha!big_smile

Well, ya Learn something new everyday!smile

"Warning" -the Surgeon General has determined; That the preceding statements accurately reflect the views and opinions consistent with "DSS" (Delusional Slalomitis Syndrome) a highly contagious life altering condition... (Handle with Extreme care & Patience)

#8 Tue, Sep 29, 2009 1:03 AM

ToddF
Skis At: mudhole
Foot Forward: right

Our course fluctuates between 30" and 50" on one side, (the river rises and lowers depending on water needs), When it is low30"  I wipe out a lot more at the turns.  With the extra 10-20" of water it really make the ski feel like it is in the water.   I get nervous when it is at 30" (usually I'm not trying for a new PR that day)  You guys are studs.

#9 Tue, Sep 29, 2009 2:26 AM

ChrisRossi

Try going back with your fin.  It will give you more tail hold in the shallow water.

#10 Tue, Sep 29, 2009 4:06 AM

MChilcutt

Thanks for all the input. i feel like my ski will not carve and i have also noticed the ski doesnt want to finish the turn.
It is dangerous no question and it is not the place to try to set a new PB. I have decided this late in the season i will ski our other course that has a solid 5 to 6 ft of water and deal with  rollers if needed.

Thanks, MC

#11 Tue, Sep 29, 2009 10:16 AM

slam2ball
Foot Forward: RFF

I would speculate at 20 inchs the ski is not slowing down or at best its doing it very slowly. I know of a few slalom courses that are built with a shallow boat lane and deep bouys. This would cause the wakes to be flat and the ski to travel faster behind the boat.
The deeper buoy lanes would cause the ski to slow down more effectively.
(I don’t know how true this all is but theoretically it does make sense.)
i know the guys that built them and if they say its true, i believe them.

if the above is true, yours site is having the reverse affect.
Did have a look at Google and a lot of articles and diagrams with “x to the power of y” came up..
Basically if you’re on top of the water (a ski) shallow water will have less drag, if you have a hull the reverse happens.

Ps 20inch is super skinny..!

just had a thought, put simply.
have you seen those skim boards they use at the beach. in about 2cm of water? they only works on the shallows, if it gets to deep it doesn't work.

Last edited by slam2ball (Tue, Sep 29, 2009 10:31 AM)

#12 Tue, Sep 29, 2009 2:32 PM

Garn

Yes, I have hit the bottom a couple of times the last few times I was out there at course 1.    It scared me once because my arm went down and my hand jammed on the bottom.  I figured that was a good way to injure my shoulder or break an arm.   And your guy's explanations would also explain why it seems like I keep sliding out by the buoy.

Garn

#13 Tue, Sep 29, 2009 4:27 PM

Deke
Skis At: 15/34

That's way too shallow for me.  There's lots of ways to injure yourself in this sport without having to worry about the bottom of the lake!  4' is our minimum at our course.

#14 Thu, Oct 1, 2009 5:18 AM

aslalomboy
Skis At: buchli lake

I skied at Pioneer lake in Plain City, Utah for 6 years and knew of no one being injured there due to the shallow water conditions - (sounds about like the scenario on Utah lake).  When I first started skiing at Pioneer, the shallow water concerned me, but after all those crashes, I sometimes stood up a little muddy, but that's about it .

In these fast, shallow water conditions i seemed to ski better when I focused on just going easy and slowing it all down.  And i did seem to blow out my tail in turns on occasion.

#15 Thu, Oct 1, 2009 6:19 PM

ScotChipman

aslalomboy, Where do you ski in AZ? What is your real name? I was a member of Pioneer for one year and it is like Utah Lake. I will be down in AZ on the 17th and 18th skiing at Santan and Buchli.

Last edited by scotchipman (Thu, Oct 1, 2009 6:21 PM)

Scot Chipman

#16 Fri, Oct 2, 2009 2:52 AM

aslalomboy
Skis At: buchli lake

Scot,  I think you and Milford had memberships at Pioneer the 1st year I joined but I don't think I ever saw you guys there.  I'm the guy that bought your Bare lifejacket and, yes, I still use it!       

I now ski at Buchli lake.  I live about 15 miles away from Buchli and about 5 miles away from SanTan,  but I've not yet skied at SanTan.   I really only started skiing a month ago.  With the move down here and a nagging back injury I just couldn't start any earlier. 

I'm sorry I'll miss you on the 17-18th.  I'll just be coming home from Powell then.  I'll be at the Buchli tourney this weekend (not skiing) and I hear some of the Utah boys will be there!  I'm waiting till next year to ski some tourneys when my back is strong.

Aaron Mason

#17 Fri, Oct 2, 2009 2:05 PM

ScotChipman

Aaron, Good to hear from you. I know Mike Parsons will be down for the Buchli tourney this weekend, not sure who else from Utah.....Nick??

Scot Chipman

#18 Sun, Oct 4, 2009 12:22 AM

ScotChipman

How do you post pictures on this forum? I took a picture of my brother standing next to the turn ball today and the water is up to his knees and he was up to his ankles in mud.

http://www.thewaterskiforum.com/webbbs/images/main/pic57143.jpg

Last edited by WadeWilliams (Sun, Oct 4, 2009 1:31 AM)

Scot Chipman

#19 Sun, Oct 4, 2009 1:27 AM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier
Skis At: Not short enough

http://www.proskicoach.com/forum/uploadimg.php

Edit your last post to see how you make an image. If you click "Post Reply" and then click the "IMG" button you will see the code. Just drop the address inside the brackets and you're off and flyin on image posting.

UHHHH looks a little shallow @ the Utah Lake... let me guess, your bro has his ski on in this pic?

#20 Sun, Oct 4, 2009 2:33 PM

ScotChipman

I figured that was how you did it if it was all ready posted to the web in another location but how do I post a picture directly from my computer?

My brother did not have his ski on....

Thanks Wade

Scot Chipman

#21 Sun, Oct 4, 2009 3:14 PM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier
Skis At: Not short enough

#22 Sun, Oct 11, 2009 3:53 AM

tjo

Ok, I skied out at course #1 (the one that is currently shallow that we are talking about) today on Utah Lake.  I realize my comments are going to be contrary to the majority of opinions on this topic.    However, in the spirit of sharing honest opinions, I must say I really don't feel any difference in how my ski responds in this shallow water.  Granted, I am just a "weekend warrior" and skied my first 32 off this year so I may not be able to sense things that more experienced skiers would.  But I skied 3 sets today and into mid to deep 32's on two of them.  I really don't feel any difference between our deeper course and the shallow one. 

The biggest deterrent in my mind is the safety factor. I did take one spill today where I buried my tip at 5 ball and went head over heals.  However, I did not hit the bottom of the lake (fortunately).  Curious to know how deep any body part can get during a crash at the speeds we ski at?  I was probably in about 3 feet of water where I crashed.

Travis Ogden

#23 Sun, Oct 11, 2009 7:09 AM

vonny

I ski in a lake that's over 1000' deep! When I fall & wait for the boat to come to me I get spooked at what lies underneath & lie horizontally! I must have watched too many Alfred Hitchcock as a kid! 20 inches is really scary.

Board footer