Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Sat, Sep 26, 2009 3:58 AM

ToddF
Skis At: mudhole
Foot Forward: right

perfect pass high idle question/fix

I have an 04 moomba with perfect pass 6.5 and lately I have been getting a random high idle, sometimes up to 1500 rpm's  I shut the engine off and it goes back down, then will do it again sometimes right after sometimes not for a while.  I have played with the throttle adjustment but it hasn't seemed to fix the problem.  It is intermitent, and it seems that the throttle is all the way down at the stop.

Anyone ever experience this and fix it? I pulled the tps and it doesn't appear sticky or dirty, but I haven't eliminated that as well.

Thanks for any input

Todd

#2 Sat, Sep 26, 2009 11:56 AM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage
Skis At: Old Hickory Lake, TN.
Foot Forward: left

Re: perfect pass high idle question/fix

Does this only happen while the P/P is on? Or is it a radom event regardless of p/p being On or Off?

"Warning" -the Surgeon General has determined; That the preceding statements accurately reflect the views and opinions consistent with "DSS" (Delusional Slalomitis Syndrome) a highly contagious life altering condition... (Handle with Extreme care & Patience)

#3 Sat, Sep 26, 2009 1:56 PM

ToddF

It seems like we are always in perfect pass mode so it is happening when in perfect pass, and I can't remember if it has happened out of perfect pass.

#4 Sat, Sep 26, 2009 4:45 PM

2gofaster

What engine? I know the PCM Excal 330s are notorious for a high idle after coast down. For those, all you have to do is barely bump reverse and the ecm drops the idle.

Shane Hill

#5 Sat, Sep 26, 2009 5:10 PM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage

Short of taking it to a dealer and running the codes, I'd say to "try" to isolate the problem. whenever your not in need of P/P shut it off. (anytime your not in the middle of pulling someone...) Try to monitor exactly what is or has been happening the next few times it acts up. i.e. Blower on/off, sound sytem on/off, etc... I kind of doubt that it is actually the p/p, but anything is possible with elec. components, modules,servo's,  loose wires/terminals and such... (shorts can raise Heck with your whole elec. system via the computer.)

I had a very random idle flair issue that had two possible causes. #1 2004 monsoon engines needed a upgrade on the ecm and #2 I had a wire that had created an open circuit and was grounding out spazmodically! (fixed both, -no more issues...)

The A/I sensor, throttle return spring and degraded throttle cable can all do this as well.

I would also call PCM or Indmar or whoever built the engine and ask if they have had any other cases like yours with that year boat. Like my ecm upgrade, I didn't know anything about it until someone from another forum mentioned it. I called Indmar, and sure enough it was a known issue...

"Warning" -the Surgeon General has determined; That the preceding statements accurately reflect the views and opinions consistent with "DSS" (Delusional Slalomitis Syndrome) a highly contagious life altering condition... (Handle with Extreme care & Patience)

#6 Sun, Sep 27, 2009 1:29 AM

ToddF

I have been adjusting the cable, making it tighter, loosening it.  it works for a while and then it will idle up 900 rpm put it in neutral it idles 1100 do it again and it goes 1300 all the way to 1500.  Turn it off everything is fine for a while.

It's an indmar,  I will call PP and Moomba and Indmar. Hopefully solve the problem.
And it will do it whether it is on or off.

#7 Sun, Sep 27, 2009 1:49 AM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage

ToddF wrote:

I have been adjusting the cable, making it tighter, loosening it.  it works for a while and then it will idle up 900 rpm put it in neutral it idles 1100 do it again and it goes 1300 all the way to 1500.  Turn it off everything is fine for a while.

It's an indmar,  I will call PP and Moomba and Indmar. Hopefully solve the problem.
And it will do it whether it is on or off.

The ecm reflash that I spoke of is on the '04 Indmar! And this is exactly when the problem happens as well! (going back into neut. sporadically, Mine flaired to 900 - 1300+ for approx: 1-2 seconds +/- and was a real treat to dock or trailor etc...) But, as I also stated I had broken insulation on a couple wires as well... Call Indmar and ask for J.T. (He's very good and helpful...) and he can fill you in on your specific engine and see if it might be this same reflash issue or not...

Your dealer can reflash this in 5 - 10 mins. so don't let them screw you out of anymore $$$ then about a  1/2 hr. shop time if this turns out to be the problem...

Good Luck!

Last edited by h20dawg79 (Sun, Sep 27, 2009 11:45 AM)

#8 Sun, Sep 27, 2009 3:41 PM

ToddF

That is a good direction to look.  I will call them on Monday.

It makes trying to pick up your skier pretty hairy as well

Thanks for the input.

Todd

Board footer