Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Fri, Sep 25, 2009 1:32 AM

ToddF
Skis At: mudhole
Foot Forward: right

rain-x or wax on bottom of ski?

Is this a good idea, bad idea, would it do anything?  Has anyone ever done it?

Todd

#2 Fri, Sep 25, 2009 2:04 AM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage
Skis At: Old Hickory Lake, TN.
Foot Forward: left

Re: rain-x or wax on bottom of ski?

Hopefully someone else has a much more qualified answer. But, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the ski's  surface is designed to intentionally employ the natural friction of water to allow the ski the optimum amount of friction or "stick" to hold the ski to the water while on edge and especially through the turns while only minimally impeding the ski's speed...

A wax or other type of barrier would negate the waters natural friction (grip) and the ski would probably ride kinda like a trick ski!

Thats my guess and I'm "Sticking to it"!!!big_smile

"Warning" -the Surgeon General has determined; That the preceding statements accurately reflect the views and opinions consistent with "DSS" (Delusional Slalomitis Syndrome) a highly contagious life altering condition... (Handle with Extreme care & Patience)

#3 Fri, Sep 25, 2009 2:09 AM

rq0013
Skis At: 2@-35, 36 mph pb
Foot Forward: LFF

yeah it rides like a trick ski, its super slippery. I took a few passes on a waxed bottom and said yeah right and washed it off w/ lots of soap

#4 Fri, Sep 25, 2009 2:36 AM

ToddF
Skis At: mudhole
Foot Forward: right

I doubt anyone would do it but,  if slick surfaces are bad, then what about a light 120 or higher grit sanding to give more texture?

do you think rain x would have the same affect as wax, it seems like it wouldn't make the surface any slicker just repel water

#5 Fri, Sep 25, 2009 2:55 AM

Killer
Skis At: Ontario
Foot Forward: Left

try it & let us know.

then try it without a fin and take video please smile

#6 Fri, Sep 25, 2009 3:34 AM

HO410
Skis At: Outlaw Lake
Foot Forward: Right

Here's a good copout for you.

If treating the bottom of the ski was important, we pros would be listing the brand of wax they use along with their fin settings.

Oh, and it's actually advisable to take mild soap and a brillo pad to scrub the mold release agent off the ski.

#7 Fri, Sep 25, 2009 11:57 AM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage
Skis At: Old Hickory Lake, TN.
Foot Forward: left

ToddF wrote:

I doubt anyone would do it but,  if slick surfaces are bad, then what about a light 120 or higher grit sanding to give more texture?

do you think rain x would have the same affect as wax, it seems like it wouldn't make the surface any slicker just repel water

And there is the whole problem. You dont want to "Repel" the water or otherwise place any barrier or membrane between the ski and the H2o.

Also, If 120 grit would enhance the perf. of the ski the R&D dept. would have been all over it to help ski sales! (More tex. would probably enhance friction or "grip" but would greatly reduce acceleration and speed...)

Better technique and then even better technique is what we are all  Looking for! -I think skitek still has a couple boxes of "end of the season" technique specials still on hand...smile

"Warning" -the Surgeon General has determined; That the preceding statements accurately reflect the views and opinions consistent with "DSS" (Delusional Slalomitis Syndrome) a highly contagious life altering condition... (Handle with Extreme care & Patience)

Board footer