Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Fri, Sep 25, 2009 12:30 AM

TaylorHorton

new school and old school?

can someone explain the difference between these two in small words?

oh and i'm on the west coast.... if that matters

#2 Fri, Sep 25, 2009 1:01 PM

StevenHaines
Slalom Mentor
Skis At: Canyon Lake, Ca.
Foot Forward: right

Re: new school and old school?

Taylor, if you're thinking that you want to ski new school/west coast, you're already there as far as I could see. I was in the boat at Silver Dunes a few weeks back while you were skiing.

#3 Sat, Oct 3, 2009 8:27 PM

davemac
Foot Forward: RFF

Hey Taylor...not sure if this is what you are looking for (you may be well beyond it), but hopefully it is of some help.  Earlier this year a fellow skier sent me this simplistic description of "new school".   The background is that I'm in my early 40s, & thrilled to be getting back into slalom more seriously (& lucky to be passing the joy of the sport along to my kids).  My technique was full of flaws from my youth...more of an "old school" style...riding too much on back of ski, and relying too much on trying to outmuscle the boat.  At my age, this left me totally "gassed" after a set.  I knew I needed to adopt a "newer" more efficient style...as fighting a 340 horse inboard is purely futile. 
Anyway, here is the description he sent me, which I have referred back to often.  In its simplicity, it has been a great help to me.... 

"New school is really pretty simple when you boil the BS out of it. All the way through the turn try to keep your hips pointed as much down course as possible (referred to as counter rotation). Where your hips are pointed your shoulders will be pointed - if you counter rotate your hips, your shoulders will do the same thing, keeping your shoulders square down course. A lot of people talk about counter rotating or opening your shoulders. Forget that, counter with your hips (a much smaller easier movement) and your shoulders automatically go where your hips are pointed. If you do that, at the finish of the turn your body will be in the perfect position for the pull as the boat picks you back up. It all flows together. Change edges, really REACH and extend your arm ALL THE WAY OUT so the ski rolls onto edge better, be completely still all the way through the turn to the finish of the turn, let the boat and the rope do the work. Then you're basically just along for the ride - much less input required.

Let the front of the ski pass under the rope before you try to pull to the next buoy. That is the definition of "finish of the turn", when the front of the ski has passed under the rope. This establishes your ski's angle cross course rather than down course. Even when running late, wait until the front of the ski is passing under the rope before you put the hand you released back onto the handle. This keeps you countered, keeps your shoulders open facing down course, puts your body into the correct position, then the boat, ski, and rope do the work. Much less labor required.

Pulling cross course. Real simple. When you put your free hand back on the handle at the end of the turn, put most of your pulling load on that arm. In example rounding the one ball going to two, you'll release your right hand. When you put the right hand back on the handle LOAD THAT ARM, do most of the pulling with that arm. The effect is that it will pull your right shoulder back causing your shoulders to be square facing down course. This makes your hips come around too (more square down course). This makes your hips come up under you ("gets your hips up") putting you in a much better leveraged pulling position. After you do this correctly a few times the light bulb comes on and you're off to the races! That's my take on New School anyway, not really that much to it. Like you I had to break some bad habits and I'm not perfect at it by any stretch, but my skiing is vastly improved since I started thinking this way."

#4 Sat, Oct 3, 2009 9:01 PM

JP

What dave said is very true. One of the biggest differences i see is behind the boat. An old school skier is going to have their shoulders facing the shore as opposed to when behind the boat a new school/ west coast style skier is going to be square to the boat. Both ways are proven to be very effective. Old school has been proven by Andy apple, Bob LaPointe, kris Lapointe. New school/ west coast has Marcus Brown, Terry winter, Jamie Beauchesne. The truth is i think the ultimate is somewhere in the middle like what you see Rossi and Parrish skiing but when mixing the two styles there are things you need to watch out for because they will hurt you. Everything is proven to be effective it is jut a question about what works good for your strengths/ weaknesses

Board footer