Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Thu, Sep 10, 2009 3:02 AM

ToddF
Skis At: mudhole
Foot Forward: right

Bindings and fins

I have seen some information regarding fin placement and its effects(the Goode web site anything better?)

but I haven't seen anything on binding placement.  Is there something out there that explains it to us laymen.

I have an 05 monza with a ho binding and it is 29.25" from the back of the binding to the tail of the ski.  I was thinking of moving it forward one hole which would put it at 29.75". 

So If I move my front binding forward what can I expect to feel different?

Better turns?
Worse angle?

I guess I am interested in general therory

Thanks

Todd

#2 Thu, Sep 10, 2009 2:42 PM

slam2ball
Foot Forward: RFF

Re: Bindings and fins

Hey Toddf

try this

http://www.jagersport.com/tech.htm

ive used this a few times.

Regards

#3 Thu, Sep 10, 2009 5:47 PM

ToddF

Wow, that is a great web site lots of great information.

Thanks for the info.

Todd

#4 Thu, Sep 10, 2009 8:14 PM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier
Skis At: Not short enough
Foot Forward: Right

Yup, lottts of info on there. Just try not to think about too much techy stuff while you're trying to ski  wink

#5 Thu, Sep 10, 2009 8:31 PM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier

From Successful Setups, by Chris Rossi, Circa 2000

Bindings
      First thing to consider is location of bindings. The general rule of thumb is forward for beginner, center location for intermediate, and back for advanced. For skiers at or below 22 off, bindings forward help with the turn-ability of the ski. For 28 and 32 off, the center holes are usually appropriate. Thirty-five-off and beyond usually requires bindings to be one hole back to assist in the acceleration required to run short-line. Bindings forward equals easier turns, and bindings back equals more acceleration off the buoy... Read More

The easiest way to think about it, is you want your boots as far back as possible (=more acceleration) until it feels like poop... then go 1 hole forward. When you're starting out you're going to want them forward, because as a beginner you only feel safe when your weight is way over the back of the ski.
As you advance in your skiing, you'll need to move the boots back because you want to move over the front of the ski. Perfect counter-intuitive example: to get more forward, you need to move your boots back.

#6 Fri, Sep 11, 2009 12:44 PM

SC_swerve
Skis At: Lake Murray

Here's another good source of binding setup information.

http://www.schnitzskis.com/skitips/bindingtuning.html

#7 Fri, Sep 11, 2009 3:14 PM

ToddF

So what if you want to turn tighter and get more speed across course?

Right now I am working on 35 off I have run it but not often (once) I feel like my angle is my most limiting factor, but more speed would probably help too.

Would the video coaching be able to give some input on the ski set up? As well as technique?

#8 Fri, Sep 11, 2009 3:19 PM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier

ToddF wrote:

Would the video coaching be able to give some input on the ski set up? As well as technique?

Absolutely. Be sure to put all of your set up information into your free Ski Log first, and log your sets. Then your coach will have direct access to all this information -- making the ski tuning process much more efficient!

Board footer