Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Wed, Sep 9, 2009 5:40 PM

ColinCanski
Skis At: Gosfield WSC
Foot Forward: Right

Ski Demo

Following on from the earlier post re: Senate C or RS1, today I went and demoed two skis.

Bearing in mind, in six years of skiing I have only skied on two different skis, my current 2006 D3 CX and a 66" Synchro for 2 years before that.

First a 2007 66.5" Sixam 2. And what a ride. The ski turned in nicely for the gates, easy over the wakes and without any effort turned really nice, back on the handle and accelerated away. Only when I tried to steer it like like I do on my D3 did I come unstuck. So I started off nice and slow at 30 with two back to backs, the 2 x 32 back to backs and on my 5th pass, I would have been coming back for the 6th going for an off the dock crack at 2 @22off for a PB, ONLY IF I had let the ski do the work rather than over-enthusiastically give it the big one out of 5. Came back to the dock beaming:D

Next up, the Syndicate, and by buoy 3 of the opening pass I knew this ski was not for me. It was hard work and felt that I would have to change the way I ski to make it work. Speed was upped to 34 and still I could not get the ski to work for me, turned great but I just coud not get it to accelerate and it was particularly stiff across the wakes. For my last pass I really made a big effort to open the shoulders to the boat, and hey presto the ski started to zip.

I'm also going to demo the D3 X5 which has just been delivered and the Connelly Phrophecy. I'm wodering whether  should also demo the Radar RS1 and Senate C at Princes.  The coach today reckons I'll be back next week with a fist full of dollars (Pounds really, but the pun isn't the same) in exchange for the Sixam.

My question is I suppose, how do you know when to draw the line on the number of skis to demo?

Ski to Live - Live to Ski

#2 Wed, Sep 9, 2009 6:15 PM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier
Skis At: Not short enough
Foot Forward: Right

Re: Ski Demo

When you find the ski that works the best for you. If you have access, I would say try everything. Chances are you will really like at least one of the skis out there.

Sounds like you had a good experience with the sixam... Just make sure that when you're testin these skis, they are dialed in. If the fin is out of place it will give you a bad impression.

Take a look at how many sets you will be able to ski for the rest of the year. You will do yourself a favor by having you 2010 ski dialed in before you hang it up for this season. If you can get 10-30 sets in on your new ride this season you'll be pretty comfortable heaing into next season.

Try everything, ski on what works for you.

Board footer