Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Tue, Sep 8, 2009 2:44 PM

jerrysnow
Skis At: Lac rouge
Foot Forward: Left

Radar RS1 Boots - Have You Used Them?

Ok after 6 years in animal....never injured I would like to try new stuff. I have tried the RS1 in the shop and it feels low cut with no restriction when flexing the ankle foward....very different than rubber boot. Seems like either people like them or not. One  question i have is concerning the release...is it really working? I had my share of hard falls this year and safety is  number 1 on my list so I need to be sure it is safer than my animal. I understand that bindings are not 100% safe but....those with the system can testify if it works good. There are good deals right now so timing is good. So guys those who changed this season from rubber to RS1 please give me your opinion.

Share your passion with others and it will keep yours alive!

#2 Tue, Sep 8, 2009 2:59 PM

Garn
Skis At: Utah Lake
Foot Forward: Right

Re: Radar RS1 Boots - Have You Used Them?

HI Jerry,

Just like you, I was on Animals for years before getting my RS1s.  I won't go back either.  As for safe, I absolutely come out of mine.  Matter of fact, I come out almost two easily on some falls.  Maybe I should pull my laces tighter.  But I like the idea of knowing that Ill come out before I get hurt.  On the other hand, I have so much more control then I did with the Animals.

Hope that helps.

Garn

#3 Tue, Sep 8, 2009 3:06 PM

tjo

Jerry,

I switched this year from the Approach bindings to RS-1's.  Prior to the Approaches I had always been on traditional rubbers.  Without hesitation I will say that I am completely satisfied with the switch to RS-1's and I've never regretted the move. 

In terms of release?  Well, I have had my share of nasty crashes this year, but so far no injuries [knocking on wood].  I have had two (that I can think of) nasty falls going OTF at the wakes and I stayed in both bindings in those falls.  However, I have also gone OTF right in the turn and came cleanly out of both bindings in those falls.  So, in my experience I have either come completely out of both of them, or stayed in both of them.  I feel safer in the RS-1's than the Approaches.   

Side benefits are the comfort factor and ease of entry.  My feet have never been so comfortable waterskiing.  An added benefit is having the feet completely enclosed (and thus being able to stay warmer) when skiing in drysuit temperatures.  I also wear some orthotics in mine to add comfort.  You will notice that there is some housing for a screw in the bottom of the binding which you can feel in the arch of your foot.  If you put some type of insert/orthotic into the liner you won't feel that screw at all. 

Hope that helps.

Travis

Travis Ogden

#4 Tue, Sep 8, 2009 4:04 PM

HO410
Skis At: Outlaw Lake

The RS-1s are just simple enough to work, and just complex enough to get surprised in a bad way. I have not found any extra support by pulling the laces very tight. I pull about 1" to 1 1/2" of lace out from the stopper. They feel very loose in the water. It's a little strange to be able to pull your heel up and down, but once you get up everything stays rock solid. It is advisable to have the rear boot a little tighter than the front, but if you pull the laces to the point that there is little to no elasticity left, it is buyer bew

#5 Tue, Sep 8, 2009 6:56 PM

twinskier

I am thinking of doing the same thing.  I am currently on Approaches and my feet are killing me by my third pass to the point that I cannot concentrate on skiing at all.  I have heard from several people that they love the RS-1's, but they do look like they would not have all that much support.  One thing I was wondering, is that I here they run small.  I normally wear a 10.5 shoe.  What size should I go to for RS-1's?

#6 Tue, Sep 8, 2009 7:19 PM

HO410

They look kind of low profile. Put side by side with Wiley's, the top of the cuff is just as tall as the top of the wrap (for what that's worth). They will not be as stiff as Fogman's, but I would expect them to feel pretty similar, in terms of lateral support, to Approaches. How the feel on your foot, particularly how they feel while your sitting in the water, will feel very different. When you're used to tightness equaling security, these boots will feel like your skiing in the Bizarro World. Size 10.5? You will get conflicting suggestions, I know that I wear 10.5, got size 11 RS-1s and don't have much extra space from heel to toe.

Last edited by HO 410 (Tue, Sep 8, 2009 7:24 PM)

#7 Tue, Sep 8, 2009 7:40 PM

MChilcutt
Skis At: Utah Lake

I made the switch from Animals to the RS1 early last year (first guy in our club to run them) and am not looking back. I noticed a Great response with the ski due to the RS1, unmatched comfort and like Travis said warmth in the cold water. I have never released other then the time i seperated the shells from the plate while going OTF. Dont worry that was an early model that had a weak helicoil insert that failed. Full replacement no questions asked from Radar. I run them tight and that is what i am used to. A ski partner had a corbon plate built and is using interlock on his goode ski with the RS1 i think that is a great set up and would like to make that change.
to sum it up i am  very happy with the product and the customer support.

MC

#8 Tue, Sep 8, 2009 7:47 PM

jerrysnow
Skis At: Lac rouge
Foot Forward: Left

How long did it took you guys to get confortable with the new feeling no pressure on foot and free flexing forward. Did you have to reajust your position ( feeling) a lot.  Would you say it is more forgiving than rubber ( larger sweet spot) or the same?

Share your passion with others and it will keep yours alive!

#9 Tue, Sep 8, 2009 9:50 PM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage
Skis At: Old Hickory Lake, TN.
Foot Forward: left

twinskier wrote:

One thing I was wondering, is that I here they run small.  I normally wear a 10.5 shoe.  What size should I go to for RS-1's?

Heat molding is absolutely the key for a Sweeeeeeeeeeeeet fit!  For me, I would say they do run a tad small on the sizing. So, I would buy a 1/2 size larger if there is any question or for the person who may be even slightly a "Tweener". I use footbeds and I have NO heel movement even with the laces only pulled snug. (these are Velcro'd in with 1 small 1/2" square piece @ the heel.)

I'm also playing with a couple of foam wedges in the rear heel, which seems to help to balance my wgt. distribution and reduce over wgt.'ing the rear foot as well as helping my off-side counter rotation...  (or maybe it just seems like thats what it's doing!)smile -Heck, maybe a few more wedges, and it will also seem like I'm running 41 off too!!!big_smile

"Warning" -the Surgeon General has determined; That the preceding statements accurately reflect the views and opinions consistent with "DSS" (Delusional Slalomitis Syndrome) a highly contagious life altering condition... (Handle with Extreme care & Patience)

#10 Wed, Sep 9, 2009 4:18 AM

HO410

Jerry.

1. It's more a curiosity than something to adjust too. When skiing, you will likely focus on other things, except possibly not cramping. Free flexing forward: I've never been on bindings that limit my ankle deflection forward. These don't feel any different.

3. Stance: yes. These boots have forward ankle deflection similar to Approaches or Drafts. Coming from Animals you'll probably squat on the tail a few times. At the very least, you will feel some resistance if you try to stand up very tall.

4. These boots are stiffer than rubber, but softer than plastic hardshell boots. Rubber gives you a measure of forgiveness by not directly transferring every movement. So to some extent these boots will be less forgiving than rubbers. For my learning, the main trouble I've had was inadvertantly giving too much input at the edge change: this would break me over a bit coming off the second wake. (Something that's happened only since moving to the RS-1 boots)

#11 Mon, Sep 14, 2009 9:44 PM

ledgeski
Foot Forward: left

i am skiing with an HO Approach (L) in front and an (old) HO Animal in back. The Approach has been modified where I removed the overlay strap and put shock cord (thin bungy cord) in the top 3 laces- this set up still is comfortable and supportive AND it comes off easily in a fall. Very late last year I tried another bindiing in the front, hit an offside ball, the ski did not come off, and broke my talus in the ankle. That's all healed up and I am skiing again. I am going to set up a 2nd ski and am trying to figure out what bindings to go with. At this point I am not ready to go to hard shells, having been in rubber binders for lo these many eyars ( I am a M5 skier).
So given us old guys can take a while to heal up, I want great support but also would like them to come off when they ought to. There are some bidings out there that, well , do not come off.
I see a lot of recommendations on this site for the Radar RS1 but I have not tried them, but might do that. Do they relase in a hard fall>? anyone have any advice on this?
Also, and I am curous about this, the new O'Brien Bios that I think Andy M had something to do with the design- I have not seen anyone using them and wondered about them- they look comfortable and well designed but ... anyone experienced with those?

My HOs will stay with my old ski for back up and spare, so any advice from all the knowledgable folks on this site appreciated.

#12 Fri, Sep 25, 2009 3:15 AM

BScolt

Will the RS-1 work for all skis or is the design more for the radar skis?  anyone skiing them on an Obrien ss.  Just got a new SS just put my old Wileys on them but would really like to make a complete switch and start skiing the RS-1s.

I skied them on a MPD and it took about 6 sets to get used to them but man the comfort.

#13 Fri, Sep 25, 2009 3:39 AM

HO410

The sequence plate is designed to mount to any ski that has factory inserts. The new separated plates: front inserts have been universal for several years, the rear has slots to fit any factory insert pattern.

Board footer