Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Mon, Sep 7, 2009 3:42 AM

Caliente

Ski Setup for 2009 Connelly Prophecy 68 - 34mph/22 off/200lbs

I just switched from the F1X and the first time out the ski was so hard to control I could not ski on it.I have the draft bindings and with them tight against each other my toes were hitting the boot in front.
Where should I be placing the boots?I think I need to be all the way forward and leave a space between them,but not sure if thats a good plan.Not 100% sure where to measure the dft from for the front binding and also wondering why the ski is shorter than the 68 inch F1x???????
Any help would be great.
Thanks

#2 Mon, Sep 7, 2009 12:52 PM

2gofaster

Re: Ski Setup for 2009 Connelly Prophecy 68 - 34mph/22 off/200lbs

Caliente, how do you have the fin set up? Measure to the back of the front binding as close to the rubber heal wraparound as you can. Give us both a measurement of the front binding and to the rear binding. Have you looked up the prophecy settings on Wade's settings guide on the site?

Shane Hill

#3 Mon, Sep 7, 2009 1:39 PM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier
Skis At: Not short enough
Foot Forward: Right

Going from the F1x to the Prophecy you may have to slide your boots atleast 1 hole forward from stock to get used to it, as well. Echo what 2gofaster said -- Let us know where you're at. If you set up your Free Ski Log you can record all this information for future referecnce.

Check out the Connelly Prophecy Home Page for the stock numbers.

#4 Tue, Sep 8, 2009 4:26 AM

Caliente

Thanks for the reply's guys.
Here is where things are at now.I moved the front boot forward 2 holes and the rear one hole,set the brake to 10 and now I can at least use the ski.So here is where things are set at as of now.I only have a tape measure but the good news is I do know how to use it.
Front binding dft measured from the most rearward part of the hinge tech heal wrap 30 5/16
Rear binding 17 7/16 same method
Brake setting 10
Fin dft  13/16
Fin length 6 27/32 at bottom side of ski
fin height 2 1/2

So let me know if there are any changes needed to get off to a good start.
Thanks again.

#5 Tue, Sep 8, 2009 12:02 PM

2gofaster

The tape measure isn't going to do it for the fin, unfortunately. A tape measure is graduated in 32nd increments which are about .031".  Fin measurements can make difference when you have a .003 difference. .003 is about the thickness of a piece of paper. You can't guestimate that distance on a tape measure. I'd say your boots are a good bit forward. Now why is it that? Since you can't accurately tell the fin measurements, it's hard to say. Go find an 8" caliper. Places like harbor freight have cheap ones for $19.

Shane Hill

#6 Tue, Sep 8, 2009 2:04 PM

Caliente

I will get a caliper and get some real numbers.
Thanks again!

#7 Thu, Sep 10, 2009 12:42 AM

ckornutiak

Hey, what did you wind up doing for settings?  You can I are in in the same boat!  22 off at 34 and 208lbs.

I'm using-
Length  6.881 with the tips
DFT  .823-.829
Depth-  2.508
7 wing down

RFF.  It turns well on 1-3-5 but is a biatch on the 2 4 6 side which should be my onside.

ck

#8 Thu, Sep 10, 2009 3:15 AM

2gofaster

CK, the first thing that jumps out is your DFT measurement is wayyyyy far forward compared to what's recommended for this ski. I'd move it back to the .770 range or so and drop the length to about 6.870. Where are your bindings?

Shane Hill

#9 Thu, Sep 10, 2009 4:11 AM

Caliente

My front binding is all the way forward and the rear is in the middle hole.If I put them together like I would on any other ski my rear toe hits the front bindings release lever.Not sure what that is about other than I have size 12 feet.
Still going to get a digital caliper to remove all of the guess work,Every other ski I have bought(all Connelly)have worked great out of the box,not sure why if they know the ideal setting they do not ship it set that way??
GW

#10 Thu, Sep 10, 2009 11:50 AM

ckornutiak

>>>

Caliente wrote:

My front binding is all the way forward and the rear is in the middle hole.If I put them together like I would on any other ski my rear toe hits the front bindings release lever.Not sure what that is about other than I have size 12 feet.

What binding are you using?  I have the Enzo's on mine, and I know if the clamp is too tight my toes will hit.  I'm an 11-11.5.   With that front up so far doesn't it bury the tip and stop on you?

>>>Still going to get a digital caliper to remove all of the guess work,Every other ski I have bought(all Connelly)have worked great out of the box,not sure why if they know the ideal setting they do not ship it set that way??

As much of a stink as the MFG's make about the settings, I've never seen a ski from the factory that had their recommended settings.  The distance from tail is my personal fav.  There's no way to measure that one consistantly to the 1/1000 of an inch.   

I think this ski is really sensitive to setup, messing with little things makes a huge difference, more so that on my goode.    But that's just me and I'm not a really good skier in the scheme of things.

GW

#11 Thu, Sep 10, 2009 12:21 PM

GarrettGroller
Foot Forward: Right

ckornutiak wrote:

Hey, what did you wind up doing for settings?  You can I are in in the same boat!  22 off at 34 and 208lbs.

I'm using-
DFT  .823-.829
Depth-  2.508
7 wing down

RFF.  It turns well on 1-3-5 but is a biatch on the 2 4 6 side which should be my onside.

ck

I'm having the same problems with my Prophecy. My off side at 1-3-5 is great, my onside at 2-4-6 is suffering.

Last edited by Garrett Groller (Thu, Sep 10, 2009 12:23 PM)

#12 Fri, Sep 11, 2009 5:04 AM

Caliente

I have the draft bindings as the Enzo's seemed too short and ridgid around the ankle area.

#13 Fri, Sep 11, 2009 12:06 PM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage
Skis At: Old Hickory Lake, TN.
Foot Forward: left

Garrett Groller wrote:

ckornutiak wrote:

I'm using-
DFT  .823-.829
Depth-  2.508
7 wing down

ck

I'm having the same problems with my Prophecy. My off side at 1-3-5 is great, my onside at 2-4-6 is suffering.

Assuming that the "On-side" turn is digging in (tip of ski) and not initiating or finishing very well , the problem could exist in your "DFT" measurement. The DFT controls the front of the ski on the on-side turn. You "may" need to move it forward a tad. No more then approx: 1/32" (.03") per adjustment. But, I would probably 1st reset the entire ski to complete factory or PSC reccomendations and go from there and see how it ski's for a few sets. (of course, I would accurately measure, recheck and record your present #'s before I changed anything...)

I just remembered, Paul Jager stating; "Too much fin area, makes your Off-side just feel TOO good"... -meaning; anything adjustment wise, is  normally an equal trade off. i.e. if you enhance 1 aspect, you will normally be degrading another...

Last edited by h20dawg79 (Sat, Sep 12, 2009 10:41 AM)

"Warning" -the Surgeon General has determined; That the preceding statements accurately reflect the views and opinions consistent with "DSS" (Delusional Slalomitis Syndrome) a highly contagious life altering condition... (Handle with Extreme care & Patience)

#14 Wed, Sep 30, 2009 8:08 PM

ckornutiak

2gofaster wrote:

CK, the first thing that jumps out is your DFT measurement is wayyyyy far forward compared to what's recommended for this ski. I'd move it back to the .770 range or so and drop the length to about 6.870. Where are your bindings?

Yep.  I moved things around a bit
6.82, 2.515 .774, 9 wing,.  I left my front binding 1 hole ahead of stock and rotated my back a little (toe left as I'm RFF)

This made a huge difference on my 2-4 side and really didn't change much on my 1-3 side.    I think I'm going to leave it like that for the rest of the season (already cold here).

ck

Board footer