Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Sat, Sep 5, 2009 4:46 AM

utahslalom
Skis At: Mantua Reservoir
Foot Forward: Right

Ski Getting Squirrely on Off Side Turns

I'm currently riding a 67" Senate-C and I'm working on my 32 mph & 34 mph pass. I ski with a local instructor and he was noticing that my ski wiggles (gets squirrely) when I'm in the turn on my offside. Originally he thought I was throwing my outside hand behind me and it was causing the ski to wiggle, but now he's not so sure. Any other ideas??? Am I putting too much weight on my front foot? What about fin settings (I'm currently using Rossi's settings)? Any help would be appreciated.

#2 Sat, Sep 5, 2009 4:34 PM

ColinBuchanan
Skis At: SkiTek
Foot Forward: Left

Re: Ski Getting Squirrely on Off Side Turns

It is either to much weight on your back foot or your front. Depending on whether the ski is doing a wheelie out of the turn or if the tip is diving in to hard will tell you which. Before changing settings make sure you are completing the turns by being balanced over both feet and using the front of the ski by not being too much on the back foot. see if that gets rid of the wiggle and good luck!

#3 Sat, Sep 5, 2009 4:40 PM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier
Skis At: Not short enough

Colin's on it ... ski bouncing = too much skier input. pushing on one foot or the other, instead of staying more balanced over it.

#4 Tue, Sep 8, 2009 4:09 AM

utahslalom
Skis At: Mantua Reservoir

I feel like every time I start my turn on my off-side I tell myself "push hard with your front foot". maybe I'm thinking about it too much. I'll try to balance out my weight a little more and see what happens. Thanks guys!

#5 Tue, Sep 8, 2009 12:35 PM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage
Skis At: Old Hickory Lake, TN.
Foot Forward: left

Just a thought, but I just went through a simular thing and it was All tied to Not keeping my reach arm Straight and Stiff and maintaining a solid connection to the boat into and thru the turn... Everything seemed right , but this one little thing trashed the entire pass/sets...  The ol' snow ball effect!yikes

"Warning" -the Surgeon General has determined; That the preceding statements accurately reflect the views and opinions consistent with "DSS" (Delusional Slalomitis Syndrome) a highly contagious life altering condition... (Handle with Extreme care & Patience)

#6 Tue, Sep 8, 2009 12:39 PM

AndrewBernhagen
Skis At: 0.5 @ 35 off, 36 mph
Foot Forward: LFF

Agreed with h20dawg.  I had taken a week and a half break from skiing after I never took more than 4 days off during the summer and my body somehow completely forgot how to turn.  I was either wheelieing very badly, or almost going out the front every turn.  I started thinking about reaching straight armed to the boat and counter-rotating more, and all of sudden I was turning correctly again.

"A bad day on the water is a good day."  -Mike Yankaitis

Board footer