Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#1 Tue, Sep 1, 2009 11:40 PM

ToddF
Skis At: mudhole
Foot Forward: right

Difference between 7 and 9 degrees on wing

So what would the feel be like you were to change your wing angle from 9 to 7 degrees?

I have run 35 off @34 before but it is few and far between to say the least.  I currently have an 05 monza which is fine? I don't have the opportunity to try other skis.

I don't think I want to mess with the fin ( I don't know enough),  but I thought less angle might be better plus it is easy to change back and forth.

Obviously there is not substitute for technique" but any thoughts would be great on the wing angle, plus what ever extra thoughts someone might have.

Thanks

Todd

#2 Wed, Sep 2, 2009 12:19 AM

Bubba

Re: Difference between 7 and 9 degrees on wing

the ski might feel a little faster, because the tail won't be riding as deep.
you may find in a hard turn, or if you force the ski to turn that you will
blow the tail out a little easier than before. you may like it....you may not.

#3 Wed, Sep 2, 2009 3:32 AM

ToddF
Skis At: mudhole
Foot Forward: right

So is it easier to turn with more degrees, because you are slowing down faster?

And the ski is more stable because it is deeper in the water?

Does the wing itself actually have an effect on the skis ability to turn like the fin does? Or is there a cause and effect, you are slowing down more so you can make a better turn?

Wow! those are some deep thoughts.big_smile

#4 Wed, Sep 2, 2009 12:01 PM

2gofaster

It's not about speed, but about tip pressure.  The wing provides a leverage point. I you lower the angle, you lower the amount of torque or leverage it puts on the tip. This happens not only in a straight line, but also in the turn.  More wing angle will put more ski in the water behind the boat, and also provide more tip pressure in the turn, especially the offside. Less wing angle will allow the ski to roll edge to edge faster and will more than likely feel faster because it will feel like it takes less effort. The tip pressure has to be balanced, though, for your water conditions. In cooler water you can get away with more tip pressure and in warmer water you generally need less. Now, how does that apply to what you're doing? Decreasing the wing angle may work just fine for you. And it may not.  Especially if you're not willing to compensate in other methods for the loss in tip pressure if you need to.

Shane Hill

#5 Wed, Sep 2, 2009 2:03 PM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage
Skis At: Old Hickory Lake, TN.
Foot Forward: left

I will add, that it might be a benefit to you to have some 8" calipers and to learn to use them. So that you can check your fin settings periodically to make sure they haven't changed. If you like your present set up you would certainly not want to lose it! (fins can get knocked around or stepped on and get moved some times...) You could also mark or scribe the fin for your favorite  baseline setting.

"Warning" -the Surgeon General has determined; That the preceding statements accurately reflect the views and opinions consistent with "DSS" (Delusional Slalomitis Syndrome) a highly contagious life altering condition... (Handle with Extreme care & Patience)

#6 Wed, Sep 2, 2009 4:24 PM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier
Skis At: Not short enough
Foot Forward: Right

You can save your ski settings quickly and easily with a FINamaJIG!
http://finamajig.com/img/finamajig2.png
http://www.finamajig.com

#7 Thu, Sep 3, 2009 2:58 AM

MattP
Skis At: Searching
Foot Forward: Left

wow the finamajig is exactly what I need! I understand the whole caliper thing but I can not really get them to work for me when I am trying to get back exactly where I was before. What is the price going to be around for one of these?

Looking for a place to ski near Kennesaw, Ga.
-MattP

#8 Mon, Sep 28, 2009 6:55 AM

patmaster

It does not seem to be selling yet, but it looks like it will save hours and hours of frustration...

Board footer