Water Ski Coaching from Professional Waterskiers at ProSkiCoach.com

Announcement

We've Moved

The forum here @ PSC has been fun, but we're going to transplant it in much more fertile pastures.

If you already have a PSC account, use your email address to Request A New Password to get started @wetJacket

#26 Mon, Oct 19, 2009 11:51 PM

PFG
Foot Forward: Left

Re: Is water skiing dying?

Wade's enthusiasm is laudable, but unfortunately even pessimists are memorialized:

"More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly."
Woody Allen

Obviously he was never a skier!

http://twitpic.com/m6ltz/full

Last edited by PFG (Mon, Oct 19, 2009 11:59 PM)

#27 Tue, Oct 20, 2009 12:24 AM

h20dawg79
Water Ski Sage
Skis At: Old Hickory Lake, TN.
Foot Forward: left

PFG wrote:

Wade's enthusiasm is laudable, but unfortunately even pessimists are memorialized:

"More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly."
Woody Allen

Obviously he was never a skier!

http://twitpic.com/m6ltz/full

Being as Woody was an actor and pessimist I had this crazy thought; "What do actors do when they are not acting?     -How do you know?!?!big_smile

"Warning" -the Surgeon General has determined; That the preceding statements accurately reflect the views and opinions consistent with "DSS" (Delusional Slalomitis Syndrome) a highly contagious life altering condition... (Handle with Extreme care & Patience)

#28 Tue, Oct 27, 2009 6:09 PM

philgood
Skis At: 22' off @32 mph

wow this is deep. all this water ski philosophy on life. lol

i think the $60,000 price tag on new comp boats makes some people. think again about buying a boat. and people who own a ski boat already, love it so much they dont want to get rid of it. skiing behind a fishing boat or a party barge is definately not the same. 

I've got a '98 Mastercraft P190 and i love that boat more than anything!

You can't take life too seriously because you'll never get out of it alive."

#29 Thu, Nov 12, 2009 1:46 PM

nautques4ever

No Jobs = No more Boats = No more Equipment = No more Gas = No More Skiing.
All day wasted on-line sending out Resume's....
Thanks for the so called Change to the Better Obamie.....sad

#30 Thu, Nov 12, 2009 3:26 PM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier
Skis At: Not short enough
Foot Forward: Right

#31 Thu, Nov 12, 2009 4:34 PM

Deke
Skis At: 15/34

Wow.  I wonder how the sales of wakeboard vs. 3 event boats compare to each other?  Is one more stable than the other?  One thing is for sure, ski boats have followed the trend of cars/SUV's.  They got bigger, fancier, and way more expensive.  The market for that sort of buying philosophy is definately changing.

On another note this is interesting stuff.  I ski on public water and have been at the same site for 10+ years.  The past two seasons have seen a lot more "attendance" on the weekends.  I can't say for sure whether people are migrating to our lake from somewhere else or if they are new to boating and have just purchased boats.  I only know the numbers are increasing.  Could be just the demographics of the area are changing.

#32 Thu, Nov 12, 2009 4:52 PM

Thomas Wayne

The downward trend is not encouraging, but on the other hand in 2008 + 2009 over 8,000 new expensive tournament boats/ wakeboard boats have landed on the planet.  Even if the purchasers already had a ski/wake boat ("skwake" boat?) their old boat had to go somewhere.  And surely some percentage of those new boat purchasers were getting into watersports for the first time... or rekindling an interest for the sake of their children.

So even in a downward trend market we should still be getting new blood into the game.  The question is, how does the influx math out against the attrition at the other end?  In other words, is the fresh meat keeping up with retirement / death of the old guard? "Cause that's I would think what we care about most.

TW

#33 Thu, Nov 12, 2009 7:41 PM

ToddF
Skis At: mudhole
Foot Forward: right

These numbers don't represent peoples desire to ski. 

What they do represent is the economic downturn. and the fear that people have regarding losing their jobs, loss of income from their previous years income.

Most of the people that buy these boats already have boats that are a few years old, so now they are just holding on to them longer, very few new skiers to the sport go out and buy a new nautique, mastercraft or malibu  I would venture to guess that 85+% of all tournament boats sold are upgrades.  If anyone has that statistic I would like to see how close it really is.

I know of clubs in the NW that had 150+ members in the 80's that are now down to 10-15.
Mostly because of public waters being shared/invaded by jet skis, and other forms of wake disturbance, people just got sick of fighting a losing battle.  Or they started wakeboarding.

My favorite sports in order
Waterskiing
Track and Field(to old now)
Mountain biking

none of these sports will ever be mainstream, except track every four years.
and that is something I have come to accept. 

Both waterskiing and track used to be on ESPN regularly, now they don't even get a mention if someone breaks/ties a world record or does some amazing feat.

The biggest problem I see is that people can't appreciate/comprehend what is involved in the sports to be good, and there isn't real appreciable drama packed into a 2.5 hour time slot.

When we can solve that problem, TV might pick it up again, then you might have 150 members at your club instead of 10-20.

Todd

#34 Fri, Nov 13, 2009 3:30 PM

skibuddy
Skis At:
Foot Forward: RFF

Just wodering...with the onslaught of satellite/cable channels, there has got to be a way to get coverage of the larger pro tournaments and /or the sport...What about a reality type show that follows the pros "behind the scenes"? What about MB's Face2Face tour, I know those guys have stories to tell and they cover a lot of ground...If someone (network/producer) would ever take a chance, get it on the air, that will bring interest, which will bring sponsors, which will bring more tournaments, which will bring more $'s...you know the story...I really believe that people don't have an appreciation for the effort required and if they ever were exposed to it, maybe, just maybe there would be a passion that is cultivated ...When the passion is there, everything else just becomes excuses....Just my "out of the box" idea....

#35 Fri, Nov 13, 2009 4:10 PM

Jhughes
Skis At: Lake County, IL

skibuddy wrote:

Just wodering...with the onslaught of satellite/cable channels, there has got to be a way to get coverage of the larger pro tournaments and /or the sport...What about a reality type show that follows the pros "behind the scenes"? What about MB's Face2Face tour, I know those guys have stories to tell and they cover a lot of ground...If someone (network/producer) would ever take a chance, get it on the air, that will bring interest, which will bring sponsors, which will bring more tournaments, which will bring more $'s...you know the story...I really believe that people don't have an appreciation for the effort required and if they ever were exposed to it, maybe, just maybe there would be a passion that is cultivated ...When the passion is there, everything else just becomes excuses....Just my "out of the box" idea....

Great Point, completely agree.

#36 Fri, Nov 13, 2009 4:16 PM

philgood
Skis At: 22' off @32 mph

what if they did one of those espn behind the scenes stories or whatever on someone.  that would be pretty cool. i bet people would watch that for sure.

You can't take life too seriously because you'll never get out of it alive."

#37 Fri, Nov 13, 2009 6:07 PM

mbskier

In my area in Washington we have quite a few skier.  They are all in their early 30's to mid 50's.  All of us have been skiing for many years.  It has been very hard to get the young kids to start skiing on one ski.  They like skiing on the "ski board" but don't want to take the next step.

We have had great success with a Pro skier coming out and giving 2 day lessons.  Filled up a weekend 2 times this summer.  I think that helps the sport grow quite a bit.  We have sold quite a bit of merchandise because of it. 

This year in the state of WA there were 11 mens 3 skiers.  And 3 of us have competed against each other since the 80's.  Not sure why the turn out is so low.  I think the tournament format needs to be looked at.  There are ways to build the field.

#38 Fri, Nov 13, 2009 8:10 PM

skibuddy
Skis At:
Foot Forward: RFF

mbskier, I agree with you. But, if we "build it, they will come". I really believe that the more we get kids involved, and make them want to associate themselves with a skiier, the sport or the merchandise, the sport will grow. Look what Nike did with Michael Jordan. I really like the concept of clinics and what Marcus Brown is doing with the Face2Face tour, but somehow, someway, we need to reach the masses. It may take each of us getting involved and hosting mid week fun tournaments or making an "event" out of local tournaments. Somewhere down the line there also has to be a point with the manufacturers where skiing/merchandise/etc. is affordable to the newcomer. I have not been "addicted" as long as a lot of people here and I don't think it has gotten this way overnight, which means we have to fix it a little bit everyday and sonner or later we'll hit a homerun! IMHO..

#39 Fri, Nov 13, 2009 8:35 PM

StevenHaines
Slalom Mentor
Skis At: Canyon Lake, Ca.
Foot Forward: right

What they did in Canada was a home run! There's a vid of the highlights of the tourney on the front page of Ball of Spray. As your listening to it you can hear the "roar" of the crowd in the back ground! We need to spice it up with a festival/party atmosphere! We need venues that are in the lime light like the one that Wade secured! Juneau Park I think. It has to be exciting! If you haven't slalomed, every pass looks the same. To a spectator, that's boring!!! We need to get coverage anywhere and everywhere we can. Maybe some helmet cam type of stuff where you can get the skiers perspective so the viewer can see and hear how radical our sport is!!!

#40 Wed, Feb 3, 2010 5:41 AM

vrod69
Skis At: carter lake,co

Hey There,
           New to the site and just found this topic and I tell you what I am new to skiing. I have always wanted to do it my whole life. When I was a kid I used to go to the lake every now and then with my uncle and family and I can remember the first time I ever seen in done and I was hooked and of course being kids in my family we weren't aloud to do that it was for adults only. Which was BS I always thought. Well anyway to my point, this past summer I was finally able to buy a boat which of course I hade to buy one of the best than my poor ass could buy which was an 1980 Ski Nautique, wake tower, the works, so I spent since July learning how to get up on the ski and then now how to cut and make that awesome spray like I see from every pro and non pro old guys that hang around our lake here in Denver. But the thing that I have always wandered was is this a dieing sport, because it seemed like all season we were the only ones up at 4 am and skiing which is un real to me because I was hooked ever since the first time I stood up on a slalom ski.  But here in Denver there's really no one around to ask for good tech help. We have Tommy's Slalom Shop but they seem to focus on wakeboarding now.
Since I found this site, everything has been great info, thanks everyone

Just about to get on the water, WAHOOO!!
Bj

#41 Wed, Feb 3, 2010 1:55 PM

millertime
Skis At: Lake Weir and Blue Lake, Ocala,FL

Skiing is not a dying sport. If anything I see it on the rise. As everyone has said we need to get today's youth involved and show them the art and the beauty of morning glass weather in the course or running down the shore line. I remember as a kid watching people in the morning just laying down turns and saying man that is cool. Times have changed but the beauty has not and weather is 1980 or 2010 people still know the difference. We need to get kids out there weather it is slalom, trick, foot'n or, jumping and just get them on the water it is infectious. I started with my daughter last summer and now I have a lot of kids begging for spring so I can take them out and teach them. Some of them even bought wetsuits cause they didn't want to wait. It's on the rise. What these guys are doing going around and showing the sport is what is going to make it cool.

The other issue getting it main stream. Well, I know this sounds rough with the times. But, the company's need people out there selling it to America. Corporate America that is. Showing them how cool guys like The Dreaded one himself traveling around the country side. Skiing in the summer and the mountains in the winter. And not just him there are plenty of guys and girls out there tearing it up. Showing how important it is to be in and to stay in shape through life. Then you get people back on the shores at the tournaments and get the camera's back out there as well. Next thing you know kids will be staying up till 11 o'clock at night to catch to ski tournament. Well maybe not with DVR's now but you get my point.

All in all everyone needs to support their local lakes and clubs. Talk about it read about it. And get some of those ski mags that you have held on to cause you never know when you might need something out of it. LOL! And leave them out form someone to see and pick up. Speard the word.

The buoy killer
Miller

"It is what it is"

#42 Wed, Feb 3, 2010 2:59 PM

WadeWilliams
Pro Skier
Skis At: Not short enough

vrod69 wrote:

I am new to skiing. I have always wanted to do it my whole life. When I was a kid I used to go to the lake every now and then with my uncle and family and I can remember the first time I ever seen in done and I was hooked and of course being kids in my family we weren't aloud to do that it was for adults only.

That's the first time I've heard that one, for sure! Thanks for posting. Hopefully there's a lot more people like you out there~ Get the kids involved and keep pushing yourself!

#43 Thu, Feb 4, 2010 6:26 AM

vrod69
Skis At: carter lake,co

thanks I plan on it. I know my kids love to be there and watch. working with my daughter right know. Just cant wait boats ready, skis ready, Im ready but the weather says no way.lol

Just about to get on the water, WAHOOO!!
Bj

#44 Tue, Feb 9, 2010 8:30 PM

Pl0tz
Slalom Mentor
Skis At: Lake Anna's "hot side"

millertime wrote:

Skiing is not a dying sport. If anything I see it on the rise. As everyone has said we need to get today's youth involved and show them the art and the beauty of morning glass weather in the course or running down the shore line. I remember as a kid watching people in the morning just laying down turns and saying man that is cool.

We need to get kids out there weather it is slalom, trick, foot'n or, jumping and just get them on the water it is infectious.

All in all everyone needs to support their local lakes and clubs. Talk about it read about it. And get some of those ski mags that you have held on to cause you never know when you might need something out of it. LOL! And leave them out form someone to see and pick up. Spread the word.
Miller

"art and beauty of the morning glass" - That and every evening shooting a ginormous spray across the the glass as the sun barley continues to light the earth is what got me hooked!!! YES this is the one of the most addicting sports out there. Which is why i must concur with "Skiing is not a dying sport. If anything I see it on the rise"  its the simple fact. yeah, our sport isn't well known. yeah, wakeboarding has kinda stolen the name of skiing. i like to think the question "is water skiing dying" like this - As a teen skier, i'm sorry, addicted teen skier, i talk to every kid i meet about skiing. Some how, i can bring up the topic! My friends say i'm bloody obsessed... And i agree, as i'm sure anyone who reads this will know how i feel. big_smile anyways, when i tell people i'm a skier first they think snow... hmm then I'm say umm No... water! (cuz that's what makes since... skiing = water.  Downhill/snow skiin = snow ;] ) And i swear the biggest reply i get is - "OHH you mean wakeboarding awesome!!" And once again i'm like - No... haha you got it all wrong! le'me show yeah what your missin! If i can i pull up a vid of from you tube ("speed freaks" is a fav! look it up) orr i'll show them some footage of me. and just talk about what slalom skiing is. and EVERY person who didn't know about slalom skiin are amazed. And think its a sick sport! they don't say, "ohh wow that's an old-man's thing." problem is... i can't teach every kid i met how to ski :'( But i really try to get my friends who are really interested up to the lake with me and teach them how to get up on two... then one... then turn! or teach them anything! Cuz yes the lake is infectious! its not something you can do once and say okay, check that off my life list! Getting people out is the BIGGEST thing we can do! Cuz i'm sure the situation i fall into is the same across the country or even world! Our sport isn't dying, its just potential and awesomeness has yet to be noticed!!

I LOVE everything Marcus, Wade, and all the skiers out there have been doing to help spread this passion we all share! From, the face to face tour to MB's fire side chat, to teaching people how to ski. They've been sharing the sport and making it bigger! WE can do the same! and we SHOULD be doing the same! I know, it'd be impossible for me to keep my love in skiing all to myself! i wanna spread it to everyone i can! Its what i do and I'm sure as hell proud of it! big_smile

that's bacically how i feel about this topic. We can grow this sport. it may have "died" a while, but it's coming alive again! lets get it to grow!

-plotz

Last edited by Pl0tz (Tue, Feb 9, 2010 8:32 PM)

i swear this site is turning into my home...

Board footer